Anyone good with nas 'stuff?' Question . .

I’ve been seeing an error off and on on one of my WD Red hdd’s in my QNAP nas. I’m getting one abnormal sector error readout for disk 1; disk 2 is ok:

The overall volume info is as follows:

I’m running JBOD, so a hot -swap of a new Disk 1 would not be possible, I believe. I’d have to restore from a backup, right??

Bart, make sure you have backed up all your files
I’d say that drive is going to fail soon.
You can google and double check the fault you see.

1 Like

Bart

Have you done a full test on the disk, this may give more insight?

I’ve had this error a few times and experience shows that a full test may give the disk a clean bill of health but will reoccur in a few weeks or months later.

Best to plan to replace the disk while you can still read it, then at least you have the original and presumably a backup to work with.

Have you considered changing to a mirrored arrangement? It saves hassle when this sort of thing happens at the expense of needing more disk capacity to provision the 2nd disk. You then can just remove the failed disk and pop a new one in, you don’t even need to switch the NAS off.

Also, the temperature of the disk seems high. It may be that the WD Reds run warm but my Seagate Ironwolf’s are running at 34c (93f).

1 Like

My WD Reds in Synology run a few clicks above ambient, at the moment 28’C, when playing I normally see 32 to 34’C

This is not enough to do a diagnostic.
You need to get access to the smart information (log) to be able to evaluate what’s going on.
And yes as recommended by other you probably need to change this disk.

I do have a full backup :slight_smile:

The “complete test” (vs rapid) showed a “read failure” result, but no further details.

Probably a good time to put an SSD into my Nucleus, keep the one good WD Red in my QNAP as a backup store (it’s big enough), and just toss the drive that’s throwing the error.

What I need to figure out is if there’s a way in this JBOD array to move all the data onto just Disk 2 (the disk in the array that comes up healthy). Any ideas on that??

I am reading the QNAP forum, and the answer seems to be a firm “no.” Once in jbod it’s impossible to separate the data. At least I have 3 different backups :slight_smile:

That’s correct. To the best of my knowledge, JBOD is a cheap way of mimicking a large drive by putting together two or more smaller drives. This means trading reliability for money which is not very meaningful if you compare the cost of our sytems to the current cost of memory. As you have backups, this is not a problem and you can safely replace the faulty disk with a larger one. Perhaps a good opportunity to move away from JBOD? Cheers, nbpf

I’d go further than others here. Rather than spend time “evaluating” you need to backup urgently; insert a new HDD and get rid of the one developing errors. It’s not a matter of if but when.

I do have a complete backup – both in the cloud and on another nas here at home.

Given that my storage needs have settled in at around 2.5 GB in total, I need to re-evaluate how to set up the nas. I won’t repeat 2 x 3tb JBOD. What do you think @nbpf?

I can buy 4tb WD Red 5400 rpm drives for $99 each. 7200 rmp at $149 each. Maybe 2 x 4tb Raid 1?

My 3tb Reds are 5 years old; one must be replaced and I may as well replace both given the age and low price.

That drive is gonna fail sooner rather than later. Better get to it.

If you have about 2.5TB of music data and a multi-bay NAS dedicated to those data, you could go for 4TB drives in RAID 1 for maximal redundancy and fault tolerance, see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels. I do not use any multy-bay NAS, JBOD or RAID system, thus please take my advice with some scepticism!

Personally in light of WDs sneaky use of SMR in its larger drives I would no tbe touching them with a barge pole.

Bart,
Don’t muck about here. 2 6TB or even 8TB WD Reds in a RAID1, while you can still plan the disk replacement, and recovery from a backup.
i.e. you are not scrabbling as a disk has failed and is dead - you got due warning.
RAID1 then provides disk redundancy and plenty of spare volume to expand the library.

Have been using WD Red for a number of years, upgrading the NAS units as the library grew.
So 10TB, 8TB, 6TB, 2TB & 1TB - all WD Red
Tried WD Black (1TB), and Blue (1TB), and a pair of Seagates (4TB).
Spare disks can always become offline backups.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.