Anyone have both Apple Music and Quobuz?

Sign up with qobuz on their own website, take duo plan if you like, but if you both like the same music, duo doesn’t give you any huge advantage over a single subscription. Duo lets you save your own favourites, effectively it’s 2 separate subscriptions, but you have just one streamer so unless you listen on your phone or a Bluetooth speaker you would not need to use 2 accounts simultaneously.
Then enter your credentials into the Naim app.

Will you need a two person subscription? Maybe if two of you use Qobuz on the go, but the Naim streamers only allow a single user to be logged in at a time. As far as I can recall once you’ve logged in, any devices with the Focal/Naim app on the LAN should be able to control that account. At least I don’t recall ever having to sign in separately on my iPad and iPhone - might be wrong. Anyone know???

Equally if you have different music tastes and want to use the Qobuz app on separate phones you could use Airplay or Chromecast for playback to the Naim streamer from the phone. While Chromecast will do hi-res from the Qobuz app it doesn’t handle gapless playback (without jumping hoops) which can be an issue for certain genres, whereas gapless works fine if you select and play via the Focal/Naim app or use AirPlay.

Jaybar I responded to your almost identical question some days ago on another of your threads. I have pasted it again; hope it helps.

Since you have already have iPad (same on mac book or iMac), there is one further option with Qobuz and for that matter Tidal (for a bigger screen but does work on iphone).
You can log into either, directly via their own app. You may prefer their app for browsing and finding music, artists and playlists or creating your own playlist. An option exists to mark as a “favourite”.

Return to the Naim app and there, after a few moments, will appear your added favourite(s), under heading of artist, album, or playlist. If you subscribe to both, they will be mixed in the list, with a symbol denoting Tidal or Qobuz. (If it doesn’t, refresh Naim app by closing and reopening, usually does the trick). If you are trialling both, you can listen to one after the other if you place them in the Naim streamer queue via Naim’s app. Any difference you hear, which isn’t always the case, may well be down to which release or version you are listening to, which isn’t always easy to ascertain, unless it clearly states remaster.

Qobuz can only be controlled (remote / control point) via Naim app.
Imho searching via Naim app to either streaming service, is not perhaps as easy as going to the dedicated app, so I use all three; ymmv.

You can search Qobuz from the Naim app. Just type your search into the Naim app search and it will return results from Qobuz (as well as internet radio, Tidal, USB stored music and the Uniti Core if you use them.)

You can also browse Qobuz content in the Naim app. This is where the Qobuz app can be a little better than the Naim app, mainly in the way it can present new music it thinks you may like based on your previous listening. For this reason you may prefer to browse via the Qobuz app even if you select music to actually play via the Naim app.

Funnily enough, I’ve just had to implement this as I’ve just taken out a Qobuz Sublime plan…and from my experience here, I think that you do need to log in per control device on the network……I was logged in to Qobuz via the Naim App on my iPad, but upon checking on my wife’s iPhone and clicking the Qobuz icon I got the login screen……
Having said that, my iPhone seemed to be logged in all OK, though I can’t honestly remember if I did separately log that in or if it was automatic – sorry, was messing about with various devices through the day and it’s a bit of a blur now…!
Actually, I can go and check on another iPad and see if it asks for the login……

SC

1 Like

IIRC you sign in on the Naim app for each and every control point; just signed out of my iPhone and checking my iPad it is still connecting to Qobuz!

1 Like

I have both, but use them in quite different scenarios.
Always choose the streaming service according to the music you want to listen to, not because of file formats etc.

Apple Music has a lot of music from Japan which is not on Qobuz and which is hard to get on physical media outside of Japan.
The other benefit of Apple music is the special masters they create for using with their headphones. I find that some of them sound really good and improve the sound. This is mostly for pop/rock though.

Ultimately i would start with Qobuz because of the higher quality files. You will see after a few month if you are missing any of the music you are looking for on Qobuz.

1 Like

Works great for vinyl restoration even correcting poorly mastered digital. Another great click removal software is Clickrepair and it’s cheap and easy.

1 Like

We have both AM & Qobuz

In our house…
Apple Music is used with Apple devices, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro, on the go… travelling, trains, on aeroplanes, in the car, etc,. (Love my Sennheiser headphones) :+1:

Qobuz is used at home with our Naim system. Same as you : ND5 XS2 → SN3 ( c/w other bits too). Also Innous ZENmini → NAC72 ( c/w other bits too).

Horses for courses.
Simple.

IMHO Qobuz is (slightly) better for SQ.
Although I really like how AM works, (spent years with iPods previously), it’s challenging to get the content out of the Apple ecosystem easily and into (non Apple) audio devices. That’s always the challenge. So, looking forward to the day that Apple finally licence third party devices and allow native access to the content. Dreaming :sleeping:

Take the Qobuz 30 day trial and see what you think?

Hope those thoughts help?
Good luck
R

I have both - your question - is Qobuz so much better? Not really, and now Apple Music is lossless PCM for most tracks any differences are mostly down to the streamers. However with Naim and Roon front end I can only run Qobuz in a seamless way. I use Apple Music for everything else. If Naim/Roon supported Apple Music natively I would drop Qobuz.

I create and record music and my publisher/distributor send to Qobuz and Apple Music at my direction… so I know the same masters go to both - however I suspect from what I hear that Apple Music has a more aggressive LUFS analysis and processing engine on its importing front end compared to Qobuz and that might subtly change perceived SQ… not totally sure but I suspect it.

1 Like

My situation too. Best part is Apple Music is part of my $39CDN a month Apple One Family which includes:
2TB cloud storage
Apple Music
Apple TV
Apple Fitness
Apple Arcade
Apple News
For up to 5 family members.

Great deal for Apple users imo

3 Likes

@Andreas.ca Not clear from your post. Do you stream Apple Music to your Naim streamer or do you only stream Quobuz or both? Thanks.

@Jaybar

I stream Qobuz only through to my Nait 50 via a Watson Audio DAC streamer.

Apple Music is for family and mobile use. Played in the car, patio, Apple TV and mobile. Not used with my Nait.

Advantage of Qobuz (iOS app) = lossless streaming (16/44.1 max) to Naim streamer via AirPlay 1/2

Doing the same from Apple Music app on iOS results in lossy 256AAC (even if it says it’s playing in ‘HiRes’ in the app)

If you send to an Airplay 1 device it will play in 16/44.1 as Airplay 1 devices do not support multi-room and I think the decision to prevent people trying to stream 5 or 6 connections worth of 16/44.1 streams on a home NW and expect zero latency and dropouts, is the reason the drop was made to 256AAC - it wouldn’t look good for a ‘new improved feature’ would it?

This is my understanding - please chime in if I am mistaken.

This is regardless of the pro’s and con’s of their UIs, size of catalogues etc. The fact that Naim also has an excellent native app implementation on their streamers (supporting full HiRes streaming past 16/44.1) means it’s Qobuz for me.

This is only iOS - MacOS is different…a bit more ‘manual’ :wink:

1 Like

This is correct. You can also play Qobuz thru roon in full hires too with a better interface than the Naim app, so that’s another plus. With Apple you have to hardwire to play hires.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.