Anyone have experience of vinyl in long term storage?

My LP12 and about 500 12 inch LP’s were in storage for about 15 years. The Linn has been serviced and the Vinyl was in a dry attached shed, so in low temperatures over the winters.

There is no physical damage to the sleeves or discs and surfaces look like great but even records that were virtually new have excessive pops throughout.

I have the idea that things improve with a few plays and am hoping it’s just dust that has worked its way into the sleeves over the years but this might be wishful thinking.

Does anyone have any experience, views or advice about this?

My vinyl emerged from a twenty-seven year hibernation in September. It was stored in lidded plastic boxes in the loft, so although slow, there were plenty of temperature changes. I used Nagaoka anti-static sleeves in most records and playing them for the first time again, I was expecting, well, I wasn’t sure. Most of what I play has survived in excellent condition. No excessive pops or clicks and very little surface noise. Ex-dem Michell Gyro SE with a Techno arm, a new Ortofon Quintet Blue, which has loosened up a little since new and sounds a little less up tight than when completely new. Signal goes through a Graham Slee Reflex C, into a Star. Some records, a new Kind of Blue, for example, sound better than stream. Others, an original OMD Dazzle Ships, sound a little compressed compared to streaming. Enjoy the music.

There is another Atacama shelf coming, the Graham Slee will get its own shelf, at least while I resist a 250DR.

3 Likes

I don’t have actual experience of long term storage in a shed etc but could it be excess static build up on your records?
Do you have access to anybody who has a wet record cleaning machine?
You might find that after a clean it’s resolved the problem. In which case it might be worth investing in a machine depending on how many records you have.

Thanks that is reassuring. It might also be the change in listening as main music collection is on CD.

Well at least the background noise is non existent.

That is a great idea. My dealer sells them and if a demo works they could make a sale.

Record cleaners where not a popular idea when I last listened to vinyl but they seem to work now based on other threads.

My Vinyl was lasted added to in around 1988 - and so has been ‘stored’ since them - albeit inside a house. No notable deterioration has occurred - but all LP’s are stored in lined sleeves… :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s great. Take 3 or 4 records that have problems with excessive clicks and pops and get them cleaned at your dealer.
If they sound better afterwards then at least you know what the problem is.
Once they have been cleaned ensure you place them in new anti static inner sleeves. I’m sure your dealer will sell some suitable ones.
Good luck.

With a record collection of some 500 albums, I am convinced that a decent record cleaning machine is just about a must to have. I am pretty sure that something like a Project VCS RCM at just under £350 would be a great investment.

Both the Project VCS and the Keith Monks Discovery before it have worked wonders with my old record collection and occasional charity shop purchases as well.

By all means get a few albums cleaned at a local dealer first if they offer the service. But if not, then you won’t go far wrong with a Project VCS.

2 Likes

I had a Project VC-S and used it to clean all of my 500 or so albums. I now have the VC-E compact version which cleans just as well but take up less space. The ability to transform a grubby, noisy LP into something that sounds almost silent is really satisfying. :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.