Anyone in the UK getting any snow?

Sheffield this morning. There are reports of vehicles been abandoned and stopping the tram . 1” of snow and everybody panics. A lot can’t drive in it properly as well

2 Likes

The rain earlier this afternoon in Brighton has now turned to snow, which is starting to lie. Hazardous walking conditions underfoot soon!

It’s beginning to look very Christmassy, so I shall be looking out for Santa and Rudolph.

To be fair so many cars are over-tyred these days - too much width and not enough profile. My dad never failed to get to work in the Granada on 185/80-14s!

No snow yet, but we have had this!

7 Likes

Fond memories of heading out in the Cortina back in the 80s with salt, shovel, a couple of sacks and wearing wellies. 165 14” tyres from memory but rear drive. Perfect opportunity to learn.

Subsequently found front drivers to be easier, and better yet a proper 4x4 on appropriate tyres. I did get stranded by an X5 that just had the wrong tyres for the job, and similarly a 640d that wouldn’t move due to wheel spin. Both had a lot of torque and cold, hard, wide rubber.

With my wife being from Chicago she does believe she has an ability to drive in snow and ice, and based on the evidence, she’s right.

2 Likes

Yes, ‘heavy snow’ the beeb says with pictures of an inch if that causing chaos.

Naturally if conditions are treacherous and you don’t have to drive stay at home or walk if it’s close.

It’s currently snowing hard here in the Weald of Kent. Very pretty…

Stop being big jessiess and get out there.

7 Likes

Is that an Ignis ? if so super , little cars

1 Like

A hard frost here - in rural Berkshire

Brave man taking that 2-eleven out in this weather. Go easy on it…:sunglasses:

Plenty here in our part of the Cotswolds. I woke about 0500 for the cricket: it was quiet then I knew it had snowed. Not enough to prevent dog walking, but enough to stop the papers. Trip to pub uneventful despite people driving who should have been at home: three cars abounded between me and pub.

2 Likes

I have to admit that was a previous year.

Stick to track, ok!:wink:

1 Like

Yes, the one just before the hybrid was introduced. It’s my wife’s, she had an Alto before, the garage picked up signs that the ABS and clutch were on their last legs. Made a very good offer when this one arrived on their forecourt. She was a bit uncertain at first because it is so different to the Alto, but is now very pleased with her decision.
It’s her get to work car as she is not able to walk to the bus stop and easily get on and off the bus.
She gets about 47 to the gallon on an 8 mile journey, that improves into the low 50s on a 30 mile journey to visit her mum.

1 Like

That snow pic was me was returning from a TD at Brands.

1 Like

I have the hybrid , get 60.2, I got the bottom of the range, air -con, parking sensors - very well equipped, comfy. In this cold weather I am leaving her at home

1 Like

I walked to farm shop rather than risk the frosty roads , it’s down a small single track road, two cars from different directions.

The Range Rover refused to budge and leave the tarmac , the other vehicle had to drive round it .

1 Like

Currently snowing on the Essex Riviera according to family footage just shared with me.

2 Likes

A light covering of snow in Colchester, but daughter drove back from Cambridge last night and the M11 was tricky in places and was fairly heavy around Braintree.