Anyone listen to FM radio any more?

Err nope.

Every day, mostly BBC radio 4, London and the pirate station Point Blank. Aerials can be a nuisance if you want decent reception, but the same goes for DAB which I find considerably inferior.

Yes in the UK, (so far until the latest review of BBC Services decides no one else listens to FM Broadcast and the frequencies are sold off) I listen to FM, mostly R4, probably every day.

I think the FM users on the forum should be aware of impending change, and although many have diverted to streaming services, the threat to FM frequencies, and substitution on a streaming service will not be as good, and likely to cost with a subscription revenue model. The alternative DAB is poor, and for me useless in the car, and FM, provided there is resistance to compression, will always be better in my experience. Please alert MP’s that we do not want to loose FM broadcast.

I have a sensible aerial on the roof, and have used various receivers over the years, but had the NAT 02 very many years.

Thought the inside of the NAT 02 would be interesting…

The barrel distortion is evident in the pictures…my apologies

6 Likes

NAT03 set to R3 (I understand that other stations are available).

Car radio usually on R4 with occasional forays into R3, & Radio Solent if “my heros” :roll_eyes: are playing .

2 Likes

Glad to see so many listening to FM, though it does seem a majority are U.K. listeners. I think my ideal radio would have local radio plus internet radio. Hmmm…does that sound a lot like the Naim MuSo?? Don’t know much about it but I think it’s primarily set up for streaming one’s own audio collection + internet radio. Now I’m wondering if it’s as easy to use as a regular radio. I suppose its internet radio would get one to most of the local stations. If so, too bad I can’t trade in my old Magnum Dynalab radio on a MuSo!

2 Likes

Better than harmonic or intermodulation distortion… :slightly_smiling_face:

indeed…

Every day …
Wake up, turn on R4 (‘qute)
Breakfast R4 (‘qute or 01)
Car R4, R4 extra, DAB essential for cricket
Workout radio paradise (not sure that this counts)
Evening / night R4 xtra

Note to self - must get new elements for Ron Smith aerial.

2 Likes

Every day, but only for the time it takes to shave shower and teeth. Bathroom radio is battery powered, DAB eats batteries and there’s no incentive to have Today on DAB instead of FM. The alarm is DAB and is either on 4 or 6M.

Other than that, no FM. DAB in the kitchen has a pause & rewind that’s become so normal I’d miss it. In the car it’s also DAB, again because R4 is fine on DAB but the other stations I listen to in the car are only on there: LBC, 5L, 6M, Abs 80s. And podcasts are taking over from the daily hour each way of news and morons phoning Nick Ferrari. Eddie Mair is good company though, still.

Sold the FM tuner recently as the Naim stack isn’t near an aerial point and it’s not been used for yonks. So without any concerted effort, FM has quietly almost gone off my radar save for a few minutes in the morning. JB Radio 2 is on now, very enjoyable.

Nice Luxman! Always liked that era of Lux gear!

2 Likes

I still listen to FM via my Uniti 1, almost every Sunday morning, there is a four hour airing called Over Easy, has great music. One other classical station I frequent as well. One reason I can’t think to part with the Uniti to be honest, tuner, CD, and it just sounds bloody great! Shame the new streamers cost more and one gets less in some respects…

1 Like

I really enjoy the internet radio stations available through my Nova but included the DAB/FM tuner module for those odd occasions that my ISP is down…

1 Like

I listen to FM radio every day. I‘ve tried with Mac+Dac radio streams, but never was satisfied, so I bought a lovely used Restek Scalar in black and am very pleased with the sound.
Hunted for a used Naim tuner, but prices for used Naim tuners are skyrocking and I was afraid they would not work with my very simple indoor antenna, the Restek was a bargain in comparison.

3 Likes

What a delightful thread. Always wanted a Nat 05.

We still have a good public service radio with a mostly classical music channel. They play not only commercial releases but also their own recordings and recordings from other EBU-countries and the Metropolitan in New York.

They run an opera once a week with the most recent one being Candide from the Stockholm Opera. But also other music of course.

I have started recording many of these with a Sound Devices recorder, the NAT02 and using WaveLab software to tidy up and add metadata before I add to the collection. These recordings feel musically more immediate and closer than commercial releases and have become favourites.

1 Like

The NAT01 is my best and most used source. A live performance on Radio 3 is as good as it gets.

3 Likes

I listen to broadcast FM (88 to 108 MHz) in the car, and bedside radio, but to be honest increasingly less on my main audio audio system where I use web radio increasingly, especially the higher bandwidth sources from the BBC … For the content that is not permitted on web radio (such as certain sports fixtures via the BBC) I use increasingly a free view radio feed.

I am a big radio fan and for many that know me, they will know why, but if I look at broadcast FM dispassionately, which has been hard… from a SQ point of view in the UK it’s clear to understand it’s sonic limitations … however it’s main advantage is its near universal reach. With the Beeb, there are several layers of transcoding and processing even before it hits the airwaves now, so that is the bottleneck not the receiver… and so no matter how good your receiver the pre broadcast end will be the main limitation (other countries could vary) … and I very much doubt anyone is going to invest to upgrade the distribution system from a SQ perspective.

So if one listened to a local community FM station live concert in mono with its own local transmitter and distribution with a receiver like a NAT01… you are going to be in a potentially superb position sonically… but I suspect that is just too niche for the vast majority.(in my opinion).

1 Like

I’m fortunate to be a NAT01 owner. In my opinion it is the finest source component Naim Audio has ever made. So, yes, I listen to BBC Radio 3 FM most days.

3 Likes

FM Radio in the Car - RTÉ 1, RTÉ LyricFM (equivalent of R4 & R3). Occasionally Newstalk, Nova, East Coast Radio etc.

At home, every weekend work morning (RTÉ 1) for news & weather, as I would of with R4 before moving to Ireland. This is through Roon, to endpoints in the Bathroom (Waterproof Chrome Assistant device connected over WiFi) in a Chromecast Group with a Chromecast Audio device with powered speakers in the bedroom, and then transferred down to the main setup downstairs (open plan) during breakfast & morning Email.
Roon revised the handling of internet Radio sources in the 1.7 release, to introduce a pre-populated directory of available Radio stations. Plus the directory contains Location co-ordinates for the stations, which match against the location found for the device running Roon Remote. This then presents the available local & National stations based on your reported location.

Before Roon, I would of used iRadio on the Naim App for playback on main system which was initially a ND5XS, then NDS. But no multi room playback until use of Roon.

I have a Quad FM3 in a box, unused for the 20-years been in Ireland, as no opportunity to put an external FM Aerial up. Was either in Apartments, a House with a full B&O integration & a FM source) or now a listed building (former Manor House, then Convent/School).

Anyone tried an internal amplified FM aerial?

Quad FM3, a fully discrete analogue FM implementation, with no digital display, memories etc. Tuning was matching the output of 2 bulbs to ensure you were mid-band for the station.

3 Likes

Simon.pepper, I tried an internal amplified aerial on a FM4 and NAT01 and was not impressed - it worked, but the results were hardly overwhelming. A proper Ron Smith aerial sorted things out after I moved to a house where this became an option.

This was however c.20yrs ago, would be interested to hear if things have moved on in terms of the technology available.

1 Like