Anyone use Nac 122, 152, 202?

Like several others I had CD5/122x/150x/flatcap XS for a good few enjoyable years - it was a brilliant set up, immensely capable with all kinds of music. I’ve moved up a couple of rungs of the ladder now, and while the improvements are vast, it’s made me appreciate that the old entry level Naim separates are quite possibly the steal of the century at today’s used prices

2 Likes

Well if there isn’t a balance adjustment that is ok by me, its when they do it by electronic means i get a bit twitchy.

Are you sure they don’t do it via the remote and electronic trickery?

Never thought about it.

If you google naim audio nac152xs the Naim page which is the top of the page should help.

Therr is no balance control, hidden or otherwise, on the 122 or 152. You need a 202 or higher. (Or a Supernait, Uniti or 272.)

Thanks for the confirmation all.

That’s a surprise… Even the 112 had a balance control. Hold the remote button down until the light on the dial flashes and it’s at centre.

1 Like

202 most certainly does not have a balance knob!

The manual only says that the 152 doesn’t have a balance control.

1 Like

It’s true, I have read documents which confirm that nac 122x and nac152xs do not have balance control. Nac102 (olive) does.

Despite not getting much love on the forum the 202/200 is for me a very well balanced and musical amplifier

4 Likes

I think I wasted time in getting mine, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a cracking combo. I jst think there is too much overlap at the bottom end. Ditch something and tidy up the entry level offerings. 200/202 is an excellent intro to the Naim sound.

loved mine for 12 years - personal choice but no one should right off the 200 esp now in DR

1 Like

I have a bare 122x/150x. Does the FC2 bring much to the party? Am tossing up between a FC2x or HC2.

I bought the FC2 together with 112x/150x. And they work together. Didn’t test it without FC2. The HC should be better than FC2 but I believe some other members can contribute better than me regarding your questions based on real experiments done.

3 Likes

I demoed 112/150 vs 112/FC2/150 and got the FC2 as soon as I could afford it. I found it a nicely balanced uplift across the frequency range.

Others have reported that the HC2 might be a bit too much and unbalance things. Like upping the turbo too much in a hot hatch.

If your plans are to go further than 122x/150x then the HC2 might make sense though.

3 Likes

I can’t speak for the 122 or 152 but the 202 whilst not having the soundstage or resolution of the 282 is a dynamic performer and great musical experience. I would differ with @mikehughescq though over the 282 not being an end point amp. It certainly is in this house and I believe many others.

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

In my experience the FC is a marginal gain, the HC a tangible improvement…

1 Like

I replaced my Quad 306, FM4 & 34 with the Naim NAC 202, NAP 200DR with Stageline phono stage in March 2020. The front end being Rega RP8 with Ortofon Cadenza Red for analogue and Cambridge Audio CNX v2 using a Naim nDAC for digital with PMC Twenty5 23 speakers.

I am really pleased with this combination and have found it to be more dynamic than the Quads, with good soundstage and balanced sound. Music is very enjoyable to the point that I spend too much time listening! Having jumped to Naim it does sow the seeds for upgrades. However at the moment I am happy with the sound.

2 Likes

I bet that is a cracking set. Enjoy your music :slight_smile:

Bet if you started a thread asking for people for whom a 282 is the end game and who has had it for at least 5 years without changing something else…