Anyone using a Meater cooking thermometer?

No problem at all. I’ll bring it up then. If it fails within your memory period, please let me know, as I’m thinking of buying one for my mate Michael Caines, as he has everything.

Why the tetchiness over a meat thermometer Count.d?

I take your points and potentially some of your doubts resonated with why I didn’t buy one earlier in the year (it may have been a similar not identical product).

Many purchases can be trial and error, sometimes the best are the value for money options, sometimes the worst are the most expensive and vice versa.

Surely you could express things a little more tactfully? :dove:

2 Likes

Well it seems a thread about a meat thermometer is heating up, think we could voice an opinion without the agro. Like hi fi what works for some mightn’t suit others no need to get so worked up about it.

5 Likes

When I purchased a komodo bbq earlier in the year, the shop where I bought it gifted me a Meater. I’ve used it five or six times over the season and it worked very well, both for entire fish and for larger chunks of meat. As to precision, I found that using increments of 1 degree celsius was sufficient for the purpose. After all I’m just trying to do some outdoor cooking, not scientific laboratory experiments…

2 Likes

I use a Meater and enjoy the extra precision it provides for cooking time. For the Weber I especially value the external temperature. It works as described.

I also have a Thermapen to check the results and for steaks when an embedded reading would be impractical

Aren’t we fortunate to use these instruments without referring to them as a luxury?

2 Likes

Proper placement of a wired probe in any meat one is cooking just removes all the experienced guesswork from one of the items that one is cooking for that meal. If I was baking a roast beef or chicken, or grilling a steak every week, then obviously the doneness would be second nature. But when I haven’t cooked a roast whatever for 2 months and it’s also a different cut this time, I use the wired probe to my outside thermometer and achieve a perfecly done roast every time.
Wouldn’t be without it.

1 Like

Most professional chefs should be using a temperature probe when reheating foods, up to and over 75c. By law.
Although I have forgotten how many times I have gone out for a roast at an establishment and the meat is served cold.
The chef will say “oh, it’s rested”
“Yes but it’s now cold.” :rofl:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.