Apologies, but a quick Fraim glass query

Yes, they sound slightly different to my ears, but not enough for me to be definitive…good old dealer fid my rebuild when installing 552/500 recently.
I was surprised how good the fraim is, just a little better definition to everything…enjoy.

1 Like

I did mine by placing the glass on the steel balls as each shelf build was complete, and dinged it in situ first one side then the other. Of the 4 shelves 3 were clearly different, one of them sounded the same either way.

Keep in mind the advice to put a black box on at each step, with cables in place. It’s easier than building the rack then trying to get the boxes in place.

1 Like

Yes, that’s a great tip.
Thanks @HouseholdNaim and @dave-marshall, who said the same in the Fraim thread.

I just placed glass on shelf as I built them and tapped. Honestly, I heard little to no difference and ultimately didn’t worry too much about it. When I rebuild I try it again, and I still don’t hear much difference, if any.

Yes, good advice @JosquinDesPrez - I’ll tap when building each level, and not get too hung up on dink vs dong…unless I hear a clear winner, of course :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to get started - I sneaked a peek at one of the cherry shelves, looks nice! If all the shelves are in the same condition (from what I remember seeing it in the dealer’s dem room, they are) then this ex dem Fraim is a beauty!

Would have preferred clear glass to tinted perhaps, but I’m losing no sleep over that :smiley:

Yup don’t get too hung up on it, just to clarify though, you want a “ding” or “dong”, not a “dink” or “donk”.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard :slight_smile:

Ding dong it is! Must say, the glass is lovely quality - as is the cherry veneer finish. Impressed!

2 Likes

ah but which way up does it go? dong side up or down?

Up

It’s all getting a bit Carry On, did anyone else read the above posts and hear them in Leslie Phillips’s voice?

2 Likes

@Eoink

I saaaay…

Carry on.

:smiley:

1 Like

Richard, that has confused me. With the glass one way up you get a brighter ringing sound. The other way up gives a duller donk sound - or less dingy if you like. It sounds best with the glass placed so as to give the bright ringing sound. That sounds like the dong side down rather than up.

It’s worth saying that with some sheets of glass it’s impossible to tell the difference, probably it’s just me who finds it impossible, yet with others it’s really clear. Once the right way up it’s worth trying the glass rotated by 180 degrees, as one way round is sometimes more ringy than the other.

1 Like

Richard was very explicit.
Dong side up.

Presumably that also implies that following a 180 degree rotation you should adopt the orientation that delivers the bigger dong.

1 Like

Yes, he was explicit. However I believe he meant to say down rather than up. You want the ding, not the dong.

I think here ding & dong are being used for the “live” sound, while dink and donk for the duller sound.
That is not a sentence I could ever have imagined writing before I joined the forum.

There needs to be a ring to the upward facing side of the glass when positioned on the steel bearings. A ding is great, a slightly lower toned ring, or “dong” is fine. But a dink or donk with no sustain is best avoided.

Someone needs to make a video and record these various glass sounds. Short of becoming obsessive about it I imagine none of us would be able to blindly identify glass orientation in a fully setup working system!

3 Likes

Good idea IMO, can MP3’s be posted here?

24/96 surely?

1 Like

glass tap