Apple Music Classic launching soon

I bet thats great with playlists of dfferent formats. Why on earth cant Apple add exclusive control there really is no excuse for thier bad implementaion of Apple Music if you have to use hacks to make it work properly.

Sonos has had native Apple Music integration for quite some time now.

Iā€™ve asked that same question here before, but it is not up to only Naim, Apple has to dance the dance too.

From what I understand, I may be wrong, AirPlay 2 will send the music to the AirPlay 2 device lossless up to 24-bit/48kHz if the file is present on the Apple device already in lossless.

If Apple Music streams from the Internet and then sends it to the AirPlay 2 device itā€™ll be in AAC 256 (meh).

I tend to have most music available on my iPhone in lossless (a hangover from the old days), AirPlay 2 sounds very good with lossless tracks available on the phone.

Without even looking at sonos finances, I am willing to bet they are substantially more influential than naim.

Theyā€™re certainly ā€œout thereā€ in the media, but Naim had (had?) Rolls Royce, so Iā€™m guessing they can be influential at times :wink:

Well naim works with bentley, but Sonos are circa 1.75b US.

In apples world, Sonos are the small bespoke, boutique hifi company. naim are a speck of dust way over there in the yonder along with roon.

If naim could get in with apple it would certainly be impressive.

Yes AirPlay 2 is capable of 48/24. It only streams at 44.1 for music and 48/24 is for av audio I believe. But they have limited their Apple Music app to pull AAC stream and not lossless for some reason over AirPlay 2, same goes for Chromecast on the Android app apparently.

Yes, but I think, from reading around, that AAC only kicks in if youā€™re streaming from the internet. If you have the lossless file on the device AirPlay sends it lossless, thatā€™s the distinction.

Does AirPlay 2 support lossless audio?

As we have noted in our lossless audio explainer, the AirPlay 2 protocol supports lossless music (audio up to 24-bit/48kHz, in fact) so those with music files stored on their iOS device can send it over AirPlay to another device losslessly. However, the news isnā€™t so good with regards to using AirPlay 2 to send lossless Apple Music streams. Apple Musicā€™s Lossless streams supposedly convert from ALAC (Appleā€™s lossless codec) into AAC (Appleā€™s lossy codec) at a pretty lowly 256kbps when transmitted over AirPlay ā€“ and therefore not losslessly.

In other words, yes, AirPlay 2 does support lossless audio, but perhaps not for the use case you might want it to.

Source: What Hi*Fi

Yes Bently, my apologies.

Apple work with, and have worked with many organisations that are not big in absolute sales terms, but influential in their specialty. Even Sonos --the tech broā€™s favourite-- onboarded Apple Music with Apple in 2015, before they became the behemoth they are today. Sonos were losing 70M$ year at that point.

Naim is one of the most influential brands in the hifi world, so with a little effort on both sides, I donā€™t see why it canā€™t be achieved. I would argue that Naim has a brand position that is not that dissimilar to Appleā€™s, i.e. high-end hardware, full stack integration, excellent user experience, and the price tag to go with that.

M

Unless itā€™s hires then it will downsample it of course But yes it works for local files if you tend to download them to the device. Kind of limits it to one device though and I donā€™t know many that do this. But if it works it works.

I understand what you are saying. But I already talked with Mr Perry about this in 2020. And he told me that there was no way they could make enough money from streaming. So when downloads and CDs revenues became too small, there was no other solution to save the brand.

The 2nd gen HomePod and the HomePod minis when you connect them in stereo/multichannel is said to use lossless 24/48 Airplay2 when distributing from the device that actually gets the data from Apple Music. Getting the data from Apple Music do not use Airplay.

The latest AppleTV4:s get lossless 24/48 from Apple Music that I use a splitter to get a re-clocked SPDIF to the DAC. If you have a Linn Klimax DSM then its HDMI-interface will do this for you.

Right now all this is getting more complicated by the big three record companies talking about changing the streaming business models. Universal has been most open so far and they want to exploit ā€œsuper-fansā€ by (for an extra fee) allowing them to subscribe to more artist-centric accounts where there will be all sort of extras including bonus tracks/remixes.

I you have a custom user-interface to the content built into the player this could become interesting.

The HomePods have a handoff system I believ when you use the app via AirPlay they actually pull the streams rather than the phone push it so acts more like Chromecast in that regard.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.