Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

Just installed iOS15 on my iPhone.
@Stevesky, could you please check, if Apple now supports lossless AirPlay 2 streaming to Naim streamers. I heard on the grapevine, that it‘s at least supported for HomePods (where you won’t notice any differences anyway) and I wouldn‘t see any reasons to implement it only for a single device.

1 Like

I know my ears have failed me before but based on my listening tests, I think it’s still lossy. But yes, it would be nice for Naim to confirm.

The HomePod 15.1 Beta (by invite only) says it has support for lossless audio, so I assume it may be coming in iOS 15.1.

I’m about to give that beta a listen. Downloading the beta.

I’m saying latest beta is still lossy. Compared Qobuz vs Apple Music over AirPlay on iPad mini with ios 15.1

Off topic but roon finally released lock control functions bringing it closer to other apps. Can now control volume with device volume and have access to play function from Lock Screen or the widget pull down menu.

Hi Joamato,

iOS15 is currently clamped to AAC still for AIrplay2.

Best

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

4 Likes

I think it is the HomePod Software 15.1 beta that has lossless, not iOS 15.1.

The HomePod plays music direct from apple servers.

I think what we are all waiting for (maybe forever!) is for Apple to allow lossless AirPlay 2 from an iOS device to our Naim hardware.

Mark

4 Likes

I was kind of hoping the ios15.1 would have also made a change to how Airplay 2 works with Apple Music. What would be nice if if they allowed other companies to use HomePod streaming as an Apple Connect type thing instead of using Airplay. Maybe they’ll at least improve HomePod to have digital outputs to be like how that chromecast puck device used to work.

They have scraped the Homepods though I thought?

Yes they have… I have 4 HomePod minis (never had the larger HomePod), and they are very slick and super handy, but pointless in terms of being “lossless” or “hi res” capable… simply not resolving enough to make a blind bit of difference.

However, what I can do with them (and what gives me some hope for a better Apple Music implementation) is this:

On my iPhone, I can pick and choose what to play from Apple Music on one of the HomePods, without my iPhone actually playing any part in the streaming path (like Spotify/Tidal connect functionality).

All it would take is for Apple to get that capability to third parties. A long shot, for sure, but one which I am hoping will be realised.

Well it seems if they went thru the effort of making them lossless, shows they have some kind of future plans. As you said, lossless on those little speakers makes no difference. Perhaps they’ll use this tech for lossless wireless headphones. I know lossless bluetooth is coming out but seems like Apple like to use their own tech instead. Or perhaps they give us lossless over Airplay eventually. For now I’ll stick with roon/Qobuz and patiently wait for Spotify Hifi. Seems they’re in no hurry at this point.

Thanks for explanation.

I recently acquired a new iPad Air with 3 months free Apple Music but the drop in quality playing to my ND5XS2 via Airplay2 instead of any source via Naim app is considerable. A deal breaker for me for Apple Music, free or not, compared to Deezer, Qobuz, or Tidal.

1 Like

I prefer Qubuz via the Naim app and found it considerable better than compressed MQA Tidal when I had both on a test subscription. However, Apple Music on the iPhone with AirPlay, CarPlay and Bluetooth headphones wins for convenience and functionality especially on the move, so I end up with two subscriptions and are still waiting for Apple to enhance Apple Music App and AirPlay to support HiRes.

1 Like

I have subscribed to Apple music for many years and use airplay to stream music from MacBook to my recently bought nd5xs2. I love the ease of use and satisfied with sq but when I get round to it I will certainly try one of the other providers. I don’t use wired connection so it will be interesting to see if noticeable upgrade in sq.

So will Apples update to 15.1 next week on iOS solve the Airplay 2 problem of only playing AAC and not lossless?

1 Like

MacWorld.com writes

“…

Lossless audio for HomePod

Apple previously announced that lossless audio support for Apple Music would be coming to HomePod in iOS 15, but after making an appearance weeks ago in the third iOS 15 beta, it disappeared. Now it’s back. The HomePod beta is invitation only, but 9to5Mac has confirmed that in the 15.1 beta you can find the option inside the Home Settings of the Home app, then tapping the Apple Music tab.

…”

We’ll see if this also works for other devices like the Naim streamers. The challenge here is that we can’t see it in the Naim app, because it does not display the format and resolution for AirPlay and we have to ask @Stevesky again. I found it hard to decide in a blind A/B comparison with HighRes Qobuz because AppleMusic with AirPlay is a bit louder and you can’t easily switch between the sources.

It’s for Homepods only. They don’t use Airplay for Apple Music it’s a direct stream from AM to the device.

Really? Why did they do that if AirPlay is available?

Because you don’t need to keep you phone or iPad alive to stream on them and this follows.what other speakers all do that don’t use BT or Airplay. Which is the poor thing about airplay you phone dies so does the streaming.

1 Like

I don’t have a HomePod, but from what I read it supports:

1. Direct streaming from AppleMusic
  2. Stream music from an Apple device (iPhone, Mac, …) with AirPlay - lossless available in 15.1 beta.