Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

More: “ To start listening to Lossless Audio, subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music can turn it on in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. Here, they can choose different resolutions for different connections such as cellular, Wi-Fi, or for download. Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.1”

I have a family subscription but hate the interface and way it works.

As for Siri I think ‘it’ is getting worse and worse - I used to be able to ask things like ‘what time does M&S shut?’ with CarPlay and it would tell me, now it only gives directions via Maps. It really is pretty poor.

Absolutely. That is very cool that it’s just like an update.

Yes, and same should apply to a family subscription even if only two of us are remotely interested - it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than the restrictive Qobuz Family plans and limitations.

That may be a carplay limitation.

@Stevesky, I am already excited to hear on Apple‘s WWDC if AirPlay 2 24 bit/96 kHz support is enabled and if so to hear from you when Naim will be able to support this on their streamers.

2 Likes

Possibly but it simply used to work better in CarPlay mode and answered what I asked it.

In fact I’ve found lots of oddities in recent iOS iterations that seem quirky at best, yes my iPhone X may be getting on a bit but it’s no slouch.

That’s what I have…the XS Max. I haven’t noticed any of that. There are times Siri will say “here’s what I found on the web” rather than say the answer, which is annoying. I say “Siri are you getting lazy” Reply” that’s not nice”…lol

Is the classical selection any good? One of the reasons I have Qobuz is that I can usually find what I’m looking for with classical music. In the past, Apple just had the most mainstream labels and I was more often disappointed than not. Now that’s with iTunes. I’ve never been an Apple Music subscriber.

Why don’t you try it? Three months free for new subscribers.

Might even be 4 months now:

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 23.22.52

It’s rare to not find something you look for. What would be something tough to find?

Really where is this proof that Airpods offer superior audio quality. Not in my experience with them they dont.

I don’t think Joamato was talking about Airpods.

I had the originals and they were convenient for the gym and fitted quite well. Battery life tailed off after 18 months and local Apple store were sniffy as f*** when one of the stems developed a crack and I asked for a replacement.

I have the Airpods Pro and like the noise cancellation but they are far less comfortable for me.

Strongly suspect that Apple still charge a premium for them which cannot really be justified.

Does it say anywhere that airplay 2 will adjust the shot and offer us more than 16-44 or 48 on our Dac? I hope otherwise what is the advantage of taking this subscription as well as that of Amazon. Only if you listen to your music via headphones!!

There is so much focus on what Apple stuff can’t do, but there is no comparative company offering anything near the suite of products and services they do at the quality they do. They have to compromise somewhere. I guess they are limited by the constraints of the wireless technology and also by what is required by the majority. I just think it’s really cool that they are upgrading the service for free.
They also have optical output on all macs through the headphone jack if anyone wants to output to a DAC.
Ok so the headphones, and home-pods won’t support the highest resolutions. Which wireless headphones or smart speakers on the market will do this? Any?

Maybe we will see some kind of Wifi hub like the airport express that can be used to connect to a hifi for the high res stuff at some point but until then I guess Apple Music subscribers will just be able to enjoy a free upgrade to at least CD quality.

2 Likes

A joke or what else

I did the trial a long time ago, when it first came out I think.

Anyway, I don’t see a compelling reason to try it. I use Roon with Qobuz, and don’t see how Apple Music will be better for me. It isn’t integrated with Naim (except through Airplay) and I doubt there will ever be a Roon integration.

That is no longer the case as far as I can see and a real shame.

Agree on a standalone digital output device - mentioned earlier that an Apple Audio type device to hook up to a DAC/streamer/AV amp for hi-res would be great.

I don’t know. It’s been so long I no longer remember what it is I didn’t find. Something along the lines that Apple had the composition I wanted, but not the performance I was looking for. Maybe that’s changed now, but there seems to be little or no compelling reason for me to sign up.

1 Like