Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

Damn AirPlay 2 - just wanted to quick-measure the actual throughput; but with this burst-transfer for pre-loading musing at the beginning and then occasional updates is not that trivial to see, like with AirPlay 1 (just a continuous stream of data).
I guess, this would need Wireshark for some deeper analysis over time, compared to simple activity monitor for immediate throughput display.
:yawning_face: Not today…

The Homepods only support aac currently so its likely an update to allow 44.1/24 uncompressed

Yes, I’ve done this myself with local rips before I got my Core. I’ve also compared using Airplay versus a uPnP app, and there is definitely a drop in SQ using Airplay. The Roon web site has the following comment:

AirPlay only accepts CD-quality (44.1kHz/16bit) audio. Furthermore, some AirPlay devices (notably, AppleTVs) convert the audio to 48kHz/16bit internally–not a very nice thing to do.

So it seems that not all Airplay is the same for sound quality, and it can’t handle hi-res anyway. So it’s not really competing with Tidal and Qobuz in that regard.

1 Like

No doubt any conversion taking place will have its effect but I dont think there is this conversion happening when streaming from an iOS device to an Atom. With the CD quality streaming anticipated to be compatible through airplay, and at a much cheaper cost, I’d say there is competition with tidal. Especially as the high res collection on tidal is no use to Naim owners. If you choose to stay devoted to Naim app integration then that is personal preference.
I personally prefer the Apple Music interface and we already have a subscription so it makes sense for me to use it. Also, the Apple Music app is so fast and fluid. When you go back to the naim app (which I use to play my hard drive rips) you realise how laggy it is.

I’m in the Apple eco-system, so will likely give it a go. I also use Roon with Tidal and Quobuz, so the potential for overload and over-subscription is there :flushed:

Potential … You’re firmly in the over subscription basket already. :joy:

However, your system upgrade journey indicates that you may have a few more funds available than my el cheapo student self.

I think I’ll use a few free subscription offers when Apple lossless launches so I can compare.

1 Like

Actually the iPad is a great problem solver for your lab sessions - with a builtin UI. I’ve hacked up my own internet radio receiver that serves UPnP directly to my 272.

The USB-ports also works native with audio (24/48) so a simple USB cable is all you need to feed into Logic Pro on the Mac or your DAC.

1 Like

Starting to see Apple Digital Master throughout the catalogue now.

Hi all,
I read this forum and haven’t found the solution to my issue. I hope you could help me.
As Apple Music is going to improve the audio quality to hi-res, I would like to know how I could listen to that quality on my Mu-So 1st Gen.

Is it ok if I connect my iPhone 12, with a lightening to USB cable, to the USB port of the Mu-So ?
Or need to use a lightening to analog cable (3.5 mm jack)?
Or use a DAC, but need to link it with which cable to the Mu-So ?
I hope you could help me to find a solution. Thank you.
Mike

You could use lightning to USB. Not sure if that will be capped or not. Streaming via ethernet always best. I use Roon to ours in the bedroom (via the SonicOrbiter Bridge on my office system’s mircroRendu). But honestly, I don’t think you’ll hear much of a difference with higher res. I haven’t, but ours isn’t set up optimally either, and mostly used for the occasional movie via optical.

Edit: I found Airplay 2 via Roon to sound very good to the Mu-So 1, (via wired ethernet and Roon), and perhaps in some ways even better than the more smoothed out hi-res. This is playing Qobuz. But again, the Mu-So is on a bookshelf, facing to the side of the TV, not the optimum for performance. It’s a great sounding device, but also an entirely differently beast from the separates on what it’s meant to do and the sound it makes. I do wish it had at least a basic headphone output though.

It’s here! (maybe sort of)…

Link

3 Likes

And the sound is good.

1 Like

Have you got some lossless (or even hi res?) tracks in your library?

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s not available yet. You will know it’s available when you can go into settings and select which quality setting you want. Currently not an option.

1 Like

Yes it’s quite amazing to see that several files, even old jazz that I love, are in 24 bits. Only airplay 2 limits the possibility to go further. I was hoping for a new version of airplay . It’s available now in Canada

So is this album now in high res?

I imagine it will go live next week during the WWDC.

1 Like

The Apple Digital Master thing is basically Apple saying “we received 24 bit masters from the label and used our audio wizards to produce a (compressed) AAC file”. However, the presence of that icon suggests they will redefine what it means very soon.

1 Like

So if I purchase now it‘s not in highres?