Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

Yeah, I have Naim Uniti Atom HE, so it doesn’t even have usb input. Listen to everything wirelessly.

I don’t see myself switching to Apple Music, but Spotify will be tempting when it goes lossless. They have better library, better sub genres selection, and better discovery than what I’ve seen with Apple. And roon discovery features haven’t been that great for me even though the interface is nice.

What I could see there is also 192/24 in Apple Music

It’d doesn’t rate switch though using Apple Music on desktop. Thats what he was referring to I believe. It doesn’t have exclusive mode or rate switching. So on MacOS you get what ever your desktops Core audio is set to in the midi settings regardless of the streams native Res. iOS does rate switch so is not an issue.

So I think it’s safe to assume that we will have CD quality via airplay at some point in the not too distant future. That suits me. Anything more would be a bonus.

There is certainly a sense of loyalty to Naim here on this forum, price or complexity be damned. I would hope that extends to the choice of streaming service, and that just because Apple snaps their fingers, audiophiles that care won’t be throwing the likes of Qobuz/Tidal under the bus.

1 Like

…no worry about that from me, I am in no rush to sign up for Apple Music. I am quite happy with Qobuz and see no reason to jump ship or even look at another streaming provider. Right now happy with the pricing and quality of the music and service.

2 Likes

I’m not moving on from Qobuz either, Apple will need to sort it out before I consider changing.

1 Like

Although you can choose which audio bus to use so you can separate out from audio feedback/confirmation sounds etc… so you don’t get annoying pings and bells.
Apple Music then appears to drive the rate as supported by that channel… and indeed that rate is confirmed by the attached DAC.

Simon, I have an NDX2 and was wondering if there was a way to get Apple Music hi res into it from my iPad? Any help you can give would be appreciated.

I believe the only way currently is to attach a lightning/usb audio to SPDIF converter to your iPad… and connect the converter to an SPDIF input on your NDX2… I think if you look back through this rather long thread one or two have done this… probably more to prove you can rather than it being a viable long term setup.

Fortunately I have several DACs that support USB audio input … and so not an issue… but the Naim streamers don’t support USB audio at this time.

I have casually looked and could only see up to 96/24… out of curiosity can you suggest a 192/24 track or album … however the 96/24 sound rather good, and I think I like them even better through the mscalar :grinning: (but I disable the DolbyAtmos setting in AppleMusic audio quality settings.)
Ta

Thank you.

MacOS resamples all music to whatever format is selected in the MIDI settings of the particular device (e.g. your USB DAC). That means that when you play a HiRes title in Apple Music (with HiRes enabled in Apple Music settings) and select the USB DAC as output in the sound settings, the music is played with whatever format is set in the MIDI settings, no matter of the original format. If the MIDI settings of your DAC are set to 44.1 kHz it is downsampled to 44.1 kHz, if MIDI settings of the DAC are set to 192 kHz it’s upsampled. The Audirvana and Qobus Apps automatically change to MIDI settings to the music’s format to avoid resampling. I can verify that on the display of my Meridian Explorer USB DAC.

Steve when you refer to legacy in these instance for Qobuz and Amazon what does that mean exactly? Is it Airplay and not Airplay 2?

Try Prince, Purple Rain Extended Edition, Let’s Go Crazy (2015 Paisley Park Remaster), which is 24 Bit 192 kHz.

@Simon-in-Suffolk does that mean that you can see a change of the sampling frequency on your USB DAC when the sampling frequency of the title in Apple Music changes - as it is done in the Qobuz or Audirvana apps? On my Mac with my Meridian USB DAC the sampling frequency is not changed by Apple Music and stays on whatever is selected in the MIDI settings.

Yes - it does on iOS - I am have confirmed a correlation on iOS to DAC rate using Chord DAVE and Chord Mscalar (and I have seen 44.1kHz and 96kHz) - I haven’t visually checked specifically AppleMusic on MacOS - but I will do so this evening.

Edit - just had a tinker now - on MacOS it does appear AppleMusic outputs to the default rate set in Audio Midi - so it does appear to work differently than in iOS - will look at further this evening

Pay Metheny ”Bright size life”

Apple Spatial. Anyone read up about it? Would it work with an Atom HE and a basic pair of Focals?

This is another element Apple has introduced but not fully implemented across its own platforms - in short, AirPlay 2 doesn’t yet support it from Apple Music. Another thing that could/should come in a future AirPlay update. We’re ready for it when it does.

1 Like