Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

ok, found it in press release:
ALAC up to 192kHz…

1 Like

Yeah, but not Airplay.

Yes, they’ll use ALAC, and for Hires (=beyond CD range) they currently say in the FAQ you need an external (USB) DAC.
That’s usage on Apple devices (phones, tables, Macs). Not sure, if „application running on other hardware“ (they mention Sonos, Google, Alexa) could support it.

This seems similar to Amazon’s hi-res in the sense that it’s unclear at the moment to me how you will be easily able to take advantage of this in a hi-fi context without a device to do so.

If they open up the Airplay 2 specs detailed beyond the current 44.1/16 then that might work but I assume will either need an up to date iOS device or up to date Music app on macOS or iTunes on PC.

Quite an interesting development all the same. Must be challenging for Tidal and Qobuz, I wonder what proportion of Qobuz users buy downloads vs streaming.

FWIW, i think the biggest element of this story is the full catalogue being available in at least CD quality, at no extra cost. That’ll meet most people’s streaming needs - including via AirPlay - very nicely.

We’re ready and waiting if Apple want to talk integration or unlocking AirPlay’s higher-res potential!

Oh, and it looks like Apple will also offer high-res downloads, which will be one way to enjoy - buy and stream in 24bit via UPnP

11 Likes

The interesting thing will be if you are going to need some kind of iOS device tethered with a DAC connected to the USB C port or if they’ll produce something like an AppleAudio box for audiophiles.

An M1 MacMini running headless would have been great if it had optical out. Wonder if the audio could be sent over HDMI for some devices like AppleTV.

What’s interesting is how enthusiastic people are about this on macrumors - largely I suspect as price will be the same, and no extra for hi-res audio if you have a way to reproduce it.

The population as a whole are generally apathetic about lossless audio, but when it’s a free upgrade you can understand the excitement. Apathetic may be the wrong phrase, they just aren’t for the most part prepared to pay more for lossless via Qobuz/Tidal etc. Lifestyle gadget integration is probably a big thing here as well.

Many people understand and appreciate ‘CD quality’ - getting that as a free upgrade is a nice touch. Especially when Spotify hasn’t even got that far yet… but don’t underestimate Spotify’s huge user base.

16/44.1 is plenty for my human hearing, so I’m very happy just going from AAC to ALAC.

3 Likes

Apple aren’t that big on integration, really…

I have an Apple Music family subscription - don’t use it much myself but daughter does, it’ll make things like Qobuz’ family subcription look highly over-priced. I will also be able to cancel Tidal, my occasional music video indulgences will also be supported by Apple Music (though neither ‘have it all’).

1 Like

Yep, when you’re a trillion-dollar company, you’re not worrying much!

1 Like

FYI: Airplay2 is 24bit 44.1Khz instead of 16bit, so you would still be able to enjoy the higher bitrate albeit at a reduced sample rate.

1 Like

This is great news all round along with Spotify Hifi, hopefully it will get the younger generation more interested in sound quality- paving their way to being future Naim owners.

2 Likes

It is CAPABLE of that, but not enabled by Apple at this time.

1 Like

According to this article:

the author writes:

This number is supported by the fact when I stream Amazon Music HD to my Airplay 2 capable speaker, the device capability changes to indeed 24-bit/44.1 kHz.

2 Likes

Well this is getting interesting.

Amazon have got rid of the HD tier, it’s now a basic option.

1 Like

Oh to have the money of Amazon and Apple, to pivot so quickly in response to Spotify’s announcement :slight_smile:
(Oh just to have their money full stop!!)

6 Likes

Does this mean I get a discount, or does it mean the basic service has risen in price?

I can’t remember the prices when I trialled it tbh. There were also Prime member discounts.