Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

Airplay 2 isn’t lossless it will be AAC. The whole Apple lossless and hi-res is not what it is claimed to be. Lots of threads about this.

1 Like

Airplay itself is capable of lossless 16bit 44.1, every other thread or post I’ve read on this has considered the limitation of Apple Music to aac over airplay in relation to macOS or iOS sources. The HomePod runs neither (HomePod os is derived from tvOS) and we know it can stream lossless to play itself now HomePod os 15.1 has been officially released. Therefore I believe this is a new question worthy of an answer or investigation.

2 Likes

Too true, my new Atacama rack was configured for a streamer but I couldn’t get a Naim ND5XS2 for love nor money. In hindsight, probably a good thing as the general consensus in the wider world seems to be that the Qutest is far better than ND5XS2, not as good as NDX2 and I would still need to plug in a source to play Apple Music.

For this moment my setup has only cost me £1200. Hopefully broader built-in platform support will be included in the streamers going forwards.

Indeed there are, but most relate to streaming and as you have indicated, confusions over AirPlay2. I am seeing 96/24 from iPad Pro (Wifi) via my Qutest (wired). It sounds incredible. I’m now running a trial on qobuz again and it sounds no better and there are less tracks at that ‘level of quality’ in my chosen genres.

2 Likes

That wholly depends on the service provider not the hardware. Apple and Amazon go with big business as it’s worth the effort. Small bespoke stuff not so much.

1 Like

I can also distinguish the output quality from my iPad Pro… It is better from both the MacBook Air (M1) and the iPhone I have when streaming via Airplay or listening through Air pods Pro Max headphones. And the Airplay streaming quality to the Nova is so satisfying (to me) that I have canceled my Qobuz membership.

At least they are doing something about HiRes output and quality with the new MacBook Pros:

(And linked article about better DAC in these models as well.)

Still does not help the AirPlay / in-built AppleMusic-in-Naim question… still seems to be a bit bits & pieces on Apple side, depending on individual product roadmaps?

You can get it on PS5. They have sold 10million+ units and growing (when it’s available) so not a marker to be missed.

Hi all,

I have been playing around with Apple Music a little bit and was trying to figure out the best way to feed AM hi-res from an iPad/iPhone into my nDAC. One option I am looking into is to buy the Apple Camera Adapter kit and use a Topping D10s as USB to SPDIF converter but I am wondering if this setup will have enough juice to power both the iPad/iPhone and the Topping D10s. Does anyone have any experience with this setup?
(I know that I can just plug the iPad/iPhone directly into one of the USB inputs of the nDac but they do not support hi-res)

Thanks.

1 Like

You might want to get the version of the Apple CCK adapter that has a lightning port for connecting a charger too if you’re concerned about running out of juice.

2 Likes

Thanks. That is the one I am looking at, but I am wondering if this will provide enough power as the d10s does not have a separate power supply. Maybe I will just give it a shot and see how it goes.

I think people mentioned this setup before; IIRC some used it. (But don’t have reference at hand.)

Worst case, you would have to put a powered USB-Hub in between…

Maybe you would be better off sourcing a mains powered USB to SPDIF converter? Also perhaps one that doesn’t have a redundant DAC included.

Thanks. Further up in the thread, someone is using this setup but with an iMac but not with an iPad.
And good point about the powered USB hub.

That is indeed the other option I am looking at, but I have to admit I am struggling to find something between the really cheap ones and more high-end solutions (e.g. from Mutec). The Schiit Eitr looks interesting but unfortunately does not seem to be produced anymore.

I’m using apple music into Naim 272 via Belkin soundform connect. I can sent music with airplay 2 from apple music to Belkin, and Belkin is connected to Naim 272’s optical input.

Also I can choose the audio quality to hi-res lossless from apple music settings. (24bit/192kHz). When you choose this option it shows a warning. Saying that, to play content hi-res lossless at full resolution, you need an external dac.

2 Likes

Your only getting aac quality audio via Airplay 2 to the belkin so this isn’t getting you lossless or hires.

1 Like

As highlighted above, AM over Airplay 2 will be a lossy AAC stream.

If you want a lossless tier, or high res, stream then you must use a cable connection to an external DAC. No ifs or buts.

It would be really great for Apple to introduce a ‘Connect’ type facility (where your device becomes a control point and streamer connects via the 'net directly to Apple servers). I can’t see that happening soon, but maybe.

1 Like

Check out Matrix Audio’s. Around $400 if I recall.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. Seems a bit pricey for what it is but I will check it out.