Apple Music HiFi Tier incoming?

Sell for…?

I think it’s years ago that Apple had the best Camera. AFAIK ever since it’s first incarnation the Google Pixel has been the phone for photo’s.

Apple’s closed ecosystem is both it’s biggest selling point and biggest bane IMO. It all works great together because there’s only so many options, all of which they control. But also people many people actively choose not to use them because they want the operability with their other existing devices and not be locked in.

And, as has been mentioned, they limit what you can tweak and/or do. Where all other OSses like Android, GNU/Linux and Windows all offer you much more flexibility to do things differently than “default”. Which can be both and advantage (I’ve convinced my tech-illiterate parents to go for iPhones), or a disadvantage (I would never get an iPhone myself for reasons stated above).

Fully agree. I brought my Mum a Mac >10 years ago because I didn’t want the hassle of trying to support her on a windows platform when she’s 200miles away. I wanted something that works well, without complication, and Apple stuff fits that bill. I have had a career in Windows Level 3 support, but still prefer Apple to anything windows based, but I must admit, Apple is starting to add a lot more bulk to their OS, so becoming a closer thing.

3 Likes

That would surely be a winner for me. I prefer having my own private collection.

1 Like

Apple like to have DRM protection on Their downloads, so will they do the same on Hi-res

1 Like

I suspect it will only be for nonpermaent local ‘streaming downloads’ unless with some form of DRM, but you never know…

I’ve found the whole Apple launch of hi-res entirely confusing. Does it work through Airplay? Will it have the same UI as Tidal and Quobuz on a Naim streamer - seems not? No app integration, screen art etc. No Roon implementation? Works on some Apple devices but not others……

The Apple press release is a bit vague (pun intended):

Apple Music will also make its catalog of more than 75 million songs available in Lossless Audio. Apple uses ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) to preserve every single bit of the original audio file. This means Apple Music subscribers will be able to hear the exact same thing that the artists created in the studio.

To start listening to Lossless Audio, subscribers using the latest version of Apple Music can turn it on in Settings > Music > Audio Quality. Here, they can choose different resolutions for different connections such as cellular, Wi-Fi, or for download. Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz.

Apple has a very attractive price for their services, and will offer more to all new and existing subscribers without charging a more expensive tier of Apple Music.

This will could be a downside for other services like Tidal and Qobuz but not spotify. the first two will suffer more the Apple Move as their prices are 2 times and 3 times more.

The integration of Tidal and Qobuz in audiophile software like Roon or Aurvana is something Apple will never let it happen, streaming will be limited almost to iTunes or Apple Music app.

High resolutions formats will require an external dac. At least is the info available on their site.

Apple removed DRM from their music downloads over a decade ago.

7 Likes

Airplay 2 supports up to 24/48 –IIRC – but will have to be revised for higher bit rates.

1 Like

I wonder if Qobuz will drop their subscription cost to match Apple and Amazon, now that the latter have thrown their hats in the hires ring. ATM, Qobuz is 50% more expensive than Apple Music.

1 Like

The Apple developer conference starts on June 7th, I guess there will be a few sessions with developer opportunities within this.

But it seems Apple thinks Spatial is much more important than the lossless audio. Spatial is important for games and sounding great in headphones. At the same time it is their third try in 3D audio.

I dont think Apple, or Spotify, are going to let others handle their users and only supply the bits. But I dont think they mind others rendering their bits to niche markets like the hifi business.

So for Naim it is probably optimizing the Airplay SQ but accepting the control apps run on Apple OS:s. Also remember Airplay is not Apples streaming protocol over the internet - that is HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) which is implemented in silicon in their devices to run with low power.

And doing this without higher pricing … Apple is just starving Spotify.

1 Like

Apple just published that the will support lossless and HiRes in Apple Music

This is obviously good news for those who are Apple eccentric (that’s me as well) but how will it integrate with our Naim streamers.

1 Like

Lossless will be possible through AirPlay 2. HighRes through USB DAC or Up to 24 Bit/96 kHz through Toslink from Macs.

1 Like

This is great news for me, Qobuz is not available here in Canada, and I just bought an ND5XS2. This means I can start my free 3 month Tidal account in the next week or so. Let Spotify and Apple battle it out for the best/cheapest service over the summer. Then I will choose the winner after my free trial is done. I am typing this on my IPad, so I am an Apple user too.
I should also add, that I use a Chord Mscaler/TT2 DAC, and I find that letting these two components do the upsampling sounds just as good to me as high res, so all I need is 16/44.1.

1 Like

Yes, I think this will limit it’s use in our Forum circles, as that won’t be a great user experience compared to Qobuz and Tidal.

1 Like

Maybe Naim/Apple can integrate into the app, I won’t be switching from Qobuz until there’s a simple (and effective) way to use it with my streamers.

3 Likes

Really needs to show albumn artwork too. Who wants to look at a manky Airplay logo……