Apple Reaches $2 Trillion

Another point of view:

All the best,

Richard

Tesla kindly paid for our new bathroom earlier this year and will now fund much of the kitchen. Who knew they were so good for home improvements?

1 Like

Donā€™t tell Stephen Tate, heā€™s in tears :joy:

1 Like

But other car companies are catching up, for instance VW has a plan to sell 5 million electric cars in Europe next year, then in the USA in the year after that, same technology or even better.

So where are the Teslaā€™s advantages ?

Are they catching up? VW couldnā€™t get the OTA updates software on their ID3 to work. No-one is near Tesla in the automated driving field (although Tesla do overstate how far down that track they are, IMO). Efficiency measures still have the 4 Tesla models at positions 1,2,3 and 4. Does VW have a seamless and widespread Supercharger network? Third party networks are still piecemeal and unreliable (but improving). The VW iD3 is a competitor to the Model 3 but has much less performance and slower charging rates. It isnā€™t even being sold in North America, so isnā€™t an option for us. The iD4 is purportedly a Model Y competitor. Itā€™s not available anywhere yet.

So yeah, VW seek to lead the rest of the pack, but they are still behind.

Weā€™ve had our car (Tesla Model 3P) a year. Itā€™s faster and more efficient than when we bought it. It has been available for over 2 years and has the same range as the top-of-the-line iD3 which isnā€™t available yet. Hereā€™s a comparison article. Itā€™s worth bearing in mind that Teslas a relatively expensive in Europe because of import taxes. Production capacity within Europe is being built.

1 Like

yeah, I think you might be right.

Tim Cook just earned nearly $132 million after selling his vested 560,000 restricted stocks, a big sum to us, but it is just pocket money( relative to the other CEOs in SV).

They actually pay their taxes, about 25-26% each year (company taxes are higher in the US vs. EU). The tax case with EU was really about a big stack of cash from all over the world destined to be taxed in the US. All according to the rules and not hidden.

ā€™Apple publish not only their goals on the environment and worker conditions at their subcontractors but (more interesting) reports on the current state which can be interesting reading (like their inspectors found a subcontractors very nice but a bit small ā€¦ hidden behind a wall they found the real factory ā€¦). These documents are Published yearly on their website.

I am not saying Apple is perfect but they are decent in many areas.

5 Likes

Maybe you are right, @Stephen_Tate. The blood bath has just started in Wall Street today.

I wish I had some in reserved cash to dip in now. :frowning:

Nah, just one of these cycles, ā€˜selling tech, buying dreckā€™. I mean, picking AA, Carnival, Macyā€™s!!! Come onā€¦

That is what I meant, I wish I had more cash in a day like this to buy more stocks.

Ah gotcha, well it could go on for a while yet, so some things may get much cheaper. After all things have got a bit pricey in U.S. Markets, theyā€™ve got a lot of sick people, a strange leadership style and an election coming up. Here weā€™ve still got the little sticky issue of Brexit to finalise, and European economies are fairly rattled too. In the meantime no-oneā€™s buying much Chinese stuff, so the Government there is playing odd games with Chinese stock trading and values too, all very weird there.

On the other hand, values ā€˜plummetingā€™ and ā€˜tumblingā€™ to use BBC News words, to a level at where they were just a week last Tuesday, isnā€™t causing sleepness nights just yet. Yetā€¦

Markets never move in straight lines. The moves yesterday were started from European weak PMI numbers (apart from Germany, no surprises) and weak retail sales, oil dropping a bit. Yes there was selling but not uncontrollable and very contained. It can be seen as a ā€œhealthyā€ breather before pushing on again (I am a bear into year end for the reasons stated in above threads). Nasdaq up 28% YTD and S&P+ 7% can hardly be seen as a disaster with what has happened this year. In Europe Dax is +4% but Italy -11% and Spain 21% tells all you need to know about where the strength is in Europe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.