Arise Sir Ian

I see that Ian Rankin, who was a reviewer on Hifi Review magazine back in the day, has been knighted in the Jubilee Honours List. Glad to see hifi writing being recognised, although I suspect that his authorship of the Rebus novels may have some impact here.

6 Likes

HiFi Review had an excellent writing team, whether or not you agreed with the occasionally hyperbolic Chris Frankland, including Malcolm Steward and Adam Meredith. I think I bought every issue until it ceased publication.

I was a friend of Malcolms and shot quite a few of the magazine’s covers. I got to know Ian as he was the deputy editor. I remember I was on the table of HiFi Review with him at an evening supporting the Nordoff-Robbins charity and most of the HiFi industry were also there. Might have been the London Hilton I think. The Naim and Linn boys across the room were paticularly oiled and enjoying themselves . He told me then that he was leaving the magazine and going to France to become a writer. Hmmmm! I thought. How wrong could I have been. Didn’t he do well?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.