ARO - again?

The obvious closest arm to the Aro is the Tiger Paw Javelin, which, aside from the headshell and the inbuilt arm lift, looks remarkably like the original Aro. Very, very few of these were made. It is said that these outperform the original Aro. Here’s a photograph of one I found elsewhere on this forum - the photograph was originally posted by @VTA.

7 Likes

I must agree, that it one ugly tone arm.

Although we all strive to get the best sound that we can out of our Hi-Fi, there is also the aesthetics influence as well.

DG…

I have never heard it said, but I imagine that Naim may well have consulted intellectual property lawyers over the Tiger Paw Javelin.

It’s so obviously an ARO clone or copy that Naim could have brought legal action for copyright infringement, passing off and breach of patent and/or trademark legislation.

That my friends is an ultra low resonance arm lift/headshell handle. It most definitely is not a shoelace (…any more)

Joking aside, thanks for the post about it @YetiZone looks like an interesting arm. I like the fact that work continues into tonearm design. A remade Aro 1 would be one thing, moving things on is another. See for example the difference between the NAIT50 and the Musical Fidelity A1. The NAIT is an entirely new amplifier design, looking aesthetically like its predecessor. And I guess that’s exactly what the Aro 2 is, even if it doesn’t look like being useable/obtainable for anything other than its original installation on the Solstice. The MF A1 is the old A1 design updated with new components. I guess there are cases for both approaches.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, it had been reported here that it might - good to get confirmation that it won’t.

1 Like

The Aro Mk3 prototype is here. You can even go fishing with it.

IMG_2361

7 Likes

The Javelin is certainly an interesting arm and has plenty of differences to make pursuance of ip not a worthwhile effort. I changed from an Aro to a Javelin and was very pleased with the change. The ability to adjust the geometry and the provision of a lift/lower were useful and SQ is superb. I have the Javelin on a Raven and the Aro was on an LP 12 so there is no direct comparison between the two but the Raven - Javelin ticks all of the boxes.

A pity that it is no longer made but I have found a new one that is available but can I justify another??

FF

1 Like

Worth a listen as well as a look - a (very) fine sounding arm indeed in my (very) limited experience of it.

So says this longtime Aro owner.

2 Likes

There’s a very interesting video in which the designer of the Supatrac Blackbird tonearm explains the design goals and functionality while being interviewed by Michael Fremer. He also explains the shortcomings inherent to designs like the ARO, other than the well known continuously variable azimuth and wobbliness. Just search for “high end munich 2023 day 4 fremer’s show coverage youtube”, and forward to 6:29 minutes.

3 Likes

I saw that video as well and thought the designer came across really well under Fremer’s scrutiny.

Even though it is not an aesthetically beautiful design, as mentioned in some of the less than generous comments above, I always admire form following function philosophy to achieve the optimum sound q, and admire the innovative thinking evident in this design. I wonder if the negative comments based on looks alone would be dispelled after just listening to one - especially on the fluted classic…

9 Likes

Agree, it is great to see the boundaries still being pushed in an established medium such as vinyl, and this arm looks to have gained a lot of attention for its performance, especially in relation to price.

Aesthetically (only, not how they work), it is still some way off something like an Audio Origami PU7 Ti Tonearm, in terms of how it’s brought to market as it were, but surely the Supertrac has to be a welcome addition to the market to move uni pivot tonearm design forward.

6 Likes

@Clive Hey that’s my turntable!

I do have a Tiger Paw Javelin as well as an Aro and a Supatrac Blackbird, also a Syrinx PU3, Ittok LVII and maybe some others.

Thread Title ‘ARO - again?’ Personally I would love to see this done as the Aro is such a lovely sounding arm. Tiger Paw basically made an updated version of the Aro (and did a fantastic job) but the very fact that some 40? were made and then production ceased goes to show such endeavors are not all easy.

I find it hard to read too much into anyone’s comments (including mine) regarding what arm is better than another further than just opinion. These arms do have differences in presentation and sure you can measure each ones ability to track a passage of music but even this would not be the fairest comparison (every arm/cartridge combination would likely provide different results).

If I could only keep one arm… nope, just can’t answer that! That said if it was the Aro it would be as it is such a simple joy to use and while (like all arms) it has its shortcomings I worry about them less than when listing to any of my other arm. That said my wife hates it (jiggles too much). Her absolute favorite is the Ittok. The Ittok is also such a old friend and never lets me down when it comes to just enjoying the music. Ittok is old but was serviced and rewired by J7 some time ago.

The Blackbird is a formidable arm and sounds every bit as good as all the others, and better in some areas. Every one of these arms has its strengths. Like the Javelin the Supatrac keeps some of the sublime subtleties of the Aro while adding more base control and top end extension. The Javelin also does the same but falls short of the Supatracs bottom end control and drive but then the Javelin does better in the top end. There is no free lunch.

Most of my cartridges are Linn’s (Troika, Karma, Asaka, Asak, Klyde - older ones). I guess I tend to own things I wish I could have afforded when I was a teenager in love with audio!

14 Likes

What is the Audio Origami PU7?

It’s obviously the same basic design as Scott Strachan’s Syrinx PU7, but that design was infamous for having bearings that didn’t work very well, and would go ‘out of true’ if anyone so much as looked at the tonearm.

Have Audio Origami managed to ‘tame’ it over 30 years on? It is, to be fair, a good looking arm (with a headshell that will look pretty familiar to any Ittok or Ekos owner).

1 Like

Audio Origami PU7 is a super arm but not the same as a Syrinx PU3 I am led to believe (perhaps someone knows more on this - look similar but not). Many Syrinx PU3’s working today with no issues on bearings, not heard that they had issues (as bad as the Ekos?).

1 Like

Hi @VTA

Thanks for sharing :+1:
Really interesting reflections and a fascinating read.
Appreciate the time taken to collect those thoughts and share with the forum.

Tonearms can be a thing of great beauty, just by themselves.

To my mind, an LP12 “looks best” with a classic Ittok or Ekos. These two combinations just “look right”.

Back in the 90’s, had the pleasure of owning a Syrinx PU3 ( on a Pink Triangle) and is probably one of the nicest tonearms I’ve used.

The Aro is such a well balanced design. Maybe a little quirky. But that’s part of its charm. However, the idea of using a uni pivot design is maybe a bit terrifying.

I’m a big fan of Adam’s blog @ hifiaf dot com . I’ve been back and read the different stories so many times, without tiring. It had some small influence on my own recent LP12 refurbishment and addition of a rebuilt Troika.

As part of that same project, J7 Johnnie lovingly refurbished our Linn Ittok and did an amazing job of allowing it a new lease of life.

It’s all interesting …
But isn’t it a small world ?

Best wishes
R

3 Likes

Same here. When I auditioned them back to back in 1989/90, I wanted to prefer the Aro - it was about 2/3 the price of the Ekos - but the Ekos won out.

Every time I hear an Aro I’m reminded of how unipivot and conventional bearing arms each have their own signature, and how far the current state of the art in arm design has to go.

I’m happy enough with my 2006 Ekos SE, but I’m surprised that it’s only had minor modifications in its lifetime. Every year, I keep expecting that Linn will announce a replacement.

3 Likes

It makes me think on the Wand tonearm from NZ. Not the nicest too but interesting.

2 Likes

Way back when, 1979, I had a Hadcock Uni pivot + Entre cartridge. It was a perfect combination. These things stick with you but can never be recreated. So it was the Ekos. The SE must sound especially wonderful.

The early PU2 bearings could be tricky, I think due to the vertical bearing design where one side is rubber damped and the other not and neither are on the same plane as the horizontal bearing. Getting it set up just right was not easy (and don’t even start me on the mass ring!), but it was an interesting design and and early example of the “single ground path” thinking that also informed the Aro. I have one boxed up somewhere that was the last one made, or so I was told.

1 Like

Thanks for that, Richard. It would terrify me to have a tonearm as temperamental as that, and I have had an ARO for over 30 years!