Art exhibitions worth a visit

Yep, it was at Adam’s studio Eoin. He’s been there nearly 7 years now and he is very talented in my view. His demonstrations are really something to behold.

We have a number of his works and today, again, we couldn’t resist a couple of little trinkets :wink:

1 Like

That’s neat, great glass is wonderfully addictive isn’t it?

1 Like

Hmm only just a few miles from here…

Thanks guys this very timely as my wife and I will in London this Thursday. Looking forward to the Van Gogh’s at The Tate and seeing the Turners again. If anyone has any ideas re other exhibitions worth seeing please post. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Went to RA Summer Exhibition yesterday. Always nice to walk through rooms piled high with artwork and had a good time.

I would say that this year I thought there were rather too many erm…’simple’ pieces, a slight drop in effort, talent and technique. But hey, this is art right?!

There were, as ever, some decent, clever and bold pieces though and it is just fun to wander through it all.

The Van Gogh exhibition at the Tate is well worth the effort.

1 Like

BI went to the Van Gogh at the Tate this morning, fantastic exhibition, I love the way they showed his influences and the artists he influenced. The juxtaposition of the Whistler and Starry Night I found really good. Arriving before 10am with a ticket booked for 10 got me good views with little crowding, I had several pictures to myself for a few minutes each.

Afternoon spent at Kew Gardens looking at the Chihuly glass exhibition. The monumental works outside are spectacular, I really love the more delicate works on display in the gallery, I am a huge fan of his basket series especially.

!

4 Likes

Another worth seeing was the Berthe Morisot at Musee d’Orsay in Paris. Almost forgotten impressionist.

4 Likes

I love Morisot’s work, she gets a luminosity in her paint that is wonderful.

1 Like

It was fantastic I’d heard about in art college but seeing her painting up front makes you realise what a great painter she was. If she were a male I’m sure more would be aware. Shame, anyway she’s getting some well deserved credit now.

For me, the highlight of a visit to the Tate is often scuttling across the road to the Clore Gallery to see the Turner collection. I think they’re regarded as a bit ‘old hat’ but they always blow me away.

5 Likes

We did get to see the Turners at the Tate however lack of local knowledge, time and rain made it difficult to see it all. It’s a pity as I would loved to seen more.
PG

I think you’re out of the country now Pete, but for those who don’t know. There is a lovely collection of Turners at Petworth House (NT) in West Sussex. Usually quiet and one can take time to admire them at close quarters :slightly_smiling_face:

Btw, there is also a wonderful long case clock by Thomas Tompion in the entrance hall

1 Like

Yes unfortunately, now in the south of France. Ha well there’s always next time. Cheers. :blush:

1 Like

Laughing…being in the south of France is not unfortunate Pete :rofl:

1 Like

Yes that’s true. I really only meant unfortunately, I’ve missed those Turners. The south of France is spectacular. :grin:

1 Like

The S of France is full of full of great galleries, particularly representing the modern artists who lived and worked there. I rather like the Musee Marc Chagall in Nice, but there are others, depending on where you are.

1 Like

There is also the lovely room (well space where corridors meet) in the National Gallery where two Turners are hung with 2 Claudes as per the conditions of Turner’s bequest of them to the gallery. Two masters of light, it’s worth spending time there although you tend to need to dance out of the way of people using it as a junction rather than a room.

1 Like

We’’re in Uzès for a few days then heading to Nice on the weekend. I’ll definitely look up the Chagall museum as both my wife and I are big fans. Cheers. :grin:

In danger of distracting you from the weather, the scenery, the food and the wine, there is also the Musee Matisse in Nice, another one well worth spending time in.

1 Like