Artists among us?

I guess not a great example I struggle with English some days. :rofl:

Popeye, for someone who has never drawn before, these look really wonderful. I’m especially taken with the drawing of the arctic fox. Bravo, and keep it up!

1 Like

Hell no!! :joy::joy:

Thanks Richard,

Just starting to put a bit of the first details and shading into the body. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

The reference photo. As you can see it’s not perfect but it’s good fun.
White on white paper is certainly difficult. Ha

3 Likes

I think they are very good Popeye. Good for you.

My wife says the same. Her advice is never finish a day without a doing a sketch. Have pencil and pad with you at all times. Nothing wrong with working from a photo either; most of her commissions are of pets/horses and come from photos supplied by the owners.

Here is one of my favourites of hers which is an original creation.

Bruce

7 Likes

Just showed your handy work to my wife and we are both well impressed considering you’ve just taken it up. Well done popeye :clap:t2:
My wife has just commissioned me to do a pencil drawing of a fox, it’s clearly pay back time!

Here is a few dabbles of mine:

This was drawn from the interior of a cottage my parents had rented for a holiday to the north of Denmark. I was 16 years old back then.

A Danish fisherman was drawn during a Danish lesson from a book cover, hence the writing you can see showing through from the back ( ie the content paper of that lesson- naughty me). I remember the teacher pulling me up end of lesson for not having listened one jot. My drawing then circulated through the class and my teacher gave me a wink and said I was forgiven.

Here is one of my few oils on canvas now hanging in our TV/ guest room. I painted that back in 1989 for a large free wall space in our kitchen back then.

It’s lovely to loose yourself in your own little arty space doing these things. Don’t really do it anymore for some reason.

Keep up the good work popeye :+1:t3: ATB Peter

5 Likes

Very atmospheric Andy. :clap:t2: ATB Peter

1 Like

Some talent here.

These are three my wife and I did about 20 years ago

this one obviously just a sort of rip off of Jackson Pollock’s Summertime but we like and neither have the money or space for the original :rofl: but anyway it hangs above our bed and we like it

These two we made about the same time and hang in our dining room

Strips of painted wood different widths and heights fixed to a plywood back

Bits of painted plywood and plant supports glued to a canvas covered bit of plywood

7 Likes

In part; they are what is known as multimedia :no_mouth:

A little while back I got myself some colouring in books. Like the ones you used to have when little, but somewhat more complicated. A good thing to take up time and when completed gives a nice sense of satisfaction.
I should get some blank pads and pencils just lying about more.

Copying photographs or other drawings - with some tracing paper - is a great way to learn.
How to hold your pencil, what type of pencil, how to keep it sharp or smoothed over. How to make a mark.
I’ve always had sweaty hands and found having another piece of paper under my palm helped stopped smudges.
Next level is still life drawing. On a table arranging some objects. Preferably one that’s cylindrical, another that’s boxy and one that’s more organic - like a small cactus, or complex like a handheld hairdryer.
Using a fair sized paper like A3. This really engages your mind and eyes. I’m sure there’s plenty on the web that explains the vanishing points. Breaking down what your looking at into basic eliptical circles within a cube. The difference between the top of a bottle/box to the bottom and the relation that has to the bottom and top of whatever’s next to it. Then further looking at the relation a still life has to the room - further still how the room relates to a much larger space.

Next level is life drawing. I loved going to life drawing classes. The thrill of being with others looking at a nude model is unusual, yet really focuses your mind about what your looking at.
I had a thing of doing quick miniatures on an A5 pad. 1 or 2 minute sketch using as few lines and marks as possible, then moving to another point in the room.
Life drawing isn’t always practical so portrait drawing is easier yet more difficult. Once you’ve got the knack of putting down what your looking at, getting to capture some of the identity, character and of course resemblance to a sitter.
I’m 46. When I left school I wanted to be a technical illustrator. I went on to study this, and these where all the basics. But, later realised that further down the line I would be sitting at a computer rather than a table top and paper, so switched to fine art. Although it came useful to have an idea of the rules before trying to bend them. :smirk:

1 Like

I really like the treescape.

2 Likes

Nice stuff Colin.

I was very into the Russian Constructivists at Uni, the last one looks like a constructivist relief. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Thanks!

I wouldn’t have a clue, an artist I’m not.

Looks like you do, very nice!

1 Like

Brilliant, Popeye… and it’s hard to believe they’re your first productions. You’ve set the bar far too high for yourself for future pictures; no pressure then!
I like to dabble in portraiture, mainly trying to capture something of my musical heroes. Here’s my most recent effort; hope you enjoy it.

1 Like

Sorry, Popeye! God only knows where my attachment ended up. I will try again…

1 Like

Hallelujah! I think I may have attached the picture I completed most recently. It’s in oils. Having no formal training whatsoever, I just whack the paint on, play around for a bit and quit when I reckon the likeness isn’t too bad.

6 Likes

That’s very good Phil, almost Freudian (Painter) in its execution. :ok_hand:t3:

I assume it’s painted from a photograph?

Oh yes, JOF. Found a suitable photo on the internet.
I did use a bit of artistic licence and changed the colour of his shirt, though. How’s that for originality?