Asked before - but I cannot find a conclusive answer 300DR vs Active 250's

Thanks Jack, considering buying one tomorrow, how did you find yours when you installed it? I already have the XLR dins on order from WH.

Hi Suzy, well to be fair, most haven’t said that…there’s a lot of love for active in this thread.

We have Aktiv Briks in the conservatory, active SBLs in my office, and several active Meridian systems.

There’s a clue in there as to my/our thoughts vis-a-vis active vs. passive…… :smile_cat:

Or perhaps I just like loads of boxes!

Haha, nice systems there, I bet you don’t have a insignificant leccy bill…

I use the WH standard DIN-XLR between SNAXO & 250s. I find them to be much better than the stock items.

BTW, discussion concerning third party SNAIC4 (between the two Supercaps) is forbidden under forum rules.

1 Like

Apparently, it’s a standard SNAIC4.

(I asked this same question a couple of years ago)

I’m a big fan of WHs products and have Morgana throughout now. I’m very happy with my sounds but I didn’t have a rival SNAIC 4/4 to compare it with.

Generally you will find that others on the forum will suggest alternatives and advise you to listen and make sure you are happy with your system in your setting. That is good advice as we all differ.

Cables are a big outlay. WH will explain what they are trying to achieve with their design either on their website or on the phone. I’ve never felt the need to use their return policy, some on this forum have.

Is this because of the ‘power’ element? In this case if the SNAIC is carrying signal only between S/Cs does that change things?

that is correct.
I was informed that the fact that the SNAIC4 is not carrying power (in this SC-SC use case) does not change things.

1 Like

In my view the conclusive answer is that there is no such answer. ATB Peter

I think the general consensus from those that have stepped from active with ‘lower’ amps up to passive with a ‘higher’ amp is that it’s a trade off. Some things are better for sure, but you lose something with active that only active brings. Step up more than one rung of the ladder tho (eg from active 250 to passive 500) and that’s likely to be less of a trade off. As always, you’d need to audition the options, which between passive and active is a real faff.

Simple and surely best approach would be to use something like REW (free) software with a microphone (ideally a measuring mic., but for this purpose it is perhaps less critical), and adjust levels until the response is the same level each side of the crossover point. If bothered about the original factory setting then a small paint mark could be used to record the original position before altering.

I’m just not going to fiddle like that. Naim sell the Xover set up for SBL and SL2 and that is good enough for me. I don’t think most users change settings between the two speakers

Bruce

1 Like

The NAP 500 bridged configuration allow for maximised open and closed loop speed, less intrusive protection circuitry ,has five times the internal bandwidth, a quarter of the distortion and a one hundred times reduced operating noise floor compared to the Nap 135.
That explains technically why it can outperform active systems, but of course active with Nap 500 is even better.

2 Likes

A 500 is next on the disposable income list (after my 911 top end engine rebuild is done, that’s sucking my available beer vouchers at a ferocious rate)

1 Like

I’ve only compared the non-DR versions and felt the 300 a significant improvement over the 250.
However, I then tried active 250’s which I instantly felt were a significant improvement over the 300.
This was using NBL speakers and therefore 3x250’s.
There are plenty of people who prefer the “presentation” or “sound signature” of the 250 and 300 over the 500.

The big question is, do active 500s sound better than passive with Statement??? Of course, ideal would be active Statements………

Probably yes … but maybe better to wait for the new Statement :wink:

Quite an interesting debate regarding passive vs active.

Just to throw something else into the mix, Ive just read this review of 3 x of the new ‘Classic’ 250s running actively via a Statement pre… Might be worth a read

4 Likes

Was the crossover a SNAXO with Supercap, I wonder?