Asset UPnP for Synology Released

It was not updating for me when files added. Read the manual, found this: Detect & Catalog New Tracks enables Asset to scan for new tracks as set with the following interval value (by default once an hour). So, if you dont change this setting to x minutes, it scans hourly. I am using Raspberry pi, Linux OS. Synology should be the same.

thx for you reply…and for sure the app is up-to-date…but, due to habit, i (was) still calling it Nstream instead of Naim app :smile:

My files are also on volume 1 but oddly the directory is named 2!

Thanks for the info.

Hi Bart, I seem to be more or less happy with what I have set, maybe more to fine tune in due course. But for completeness of this thread, did you find the settings as per HH’s e-mail. These would be nice to see as HH knew his way around Asset. Can you post a screen shot of the HH settings for browse tree & the config page for the record.

I know this may be opening a can of worms and was discussed on the old forum some time ago but I recently had a disappointing experience with Transcoding to WAV. I had noticed that the sound on my Uniti Star appeared to be “off”. A bit edgier than usual on older recordings and lacking in the “bloom” I remembered. I tried resetting and a few other tweaks but it remained the same. Then I remembered that I had set up the Transcoding a few weeks earlier and decided to remove the setting. The previous good sound returned and has been back ever since. The difference is quite marked and I can’t understand how I didn’t hear the deterioration the moment I tried it. Maybe I wasn’t playing material that would highlight the difference so easily.

Have decided to resurrect the Synology for the shed system rather than stream from the QNAP over the somewhat dodgy power line - means I can use the hires files too. Minmserver did not like the tags from Asset so will download and install - probabky worth the extra licence.

Indeed - I’ll find 'em again and post 'em!

1 Like

Decided to resurrect my Synology DS213j having moved moved from that with Minimserver to QNAP with Asset and just used the Synology as a backup device. Attached to the UQ2 in my shed as I was finding the that ethernet speeds were not satisfactory especially for high res, so having it on same router as UQ2 seemed a good plan. So after upgrading system software, Minimserver rejects metadata which I think must be something to do with Asset. Anyway as it is officially available and I have ARMv7 installed a trial copy and it is sweet as a nut. Guess will be another payment to Illustrate very shortly. Defaults all happy and transcode to WAV working nicely… The only point I worried was when I read on the Illustrate forum that it would not work on ARMv5 which some of the 2013 systems use. Worth a check if you are planning to use on an older Synology box.

Asset UPnP for Synology & this thread has been around for over 2 months now, time for a recap & check how all of us Synology Asset new-bee’s are getting on.

I seem to be pretty well settled & no longer thinking about changing what I have;
although I am not at all confident on the working of the browse tree - I work best with graphics - maybe one day the penny will drop.

My current browse tree & iPad screen view (see pics) have achieved what I am happy with & I’m now into a routine for browsing that works for me.

With rock, folk & jazz I go straight to artist (name) or to an album (name) & as I know my library so well, the top two browse selection lines do just that.
.* Album Artist/Album
.* Album.
Failing that the third browse line is
.* Folder & File Name: This is a line by line copy of Windows File Explorer.
.* Composer: This is where I start with all the Classical library. the same albums can also be searched in album titles & artists (soloist’s & conductors)
The remaining is Genre, Dynamic, Title (individual track titles) & New Albums,
I’ve deleted the rest.

Any further feedback from other Asset new-bee’s ???

I might want to give this a try. I didn’t read this entire thread, but have a few questions.

Is it free?
What’s the compelling reason to use Asset over the Media Server?
How do you install it? From Synology Package installer?
Do you have to uninstall the Synology Media Server?
How long does it take to set up?
What’s the likelihood that this will screw up and render my entire library useless?
What’s the likelihood that an update of Synology will make Asset break?
Will this show tracks with their times on the Naim app?
Will this show album artwork at the Artist level? If yes, how does it pick which album to show?

Thanks (from a cynic)

Hello “Cynic”
There is a free trail version, it shows you how & what it does, but a lot of the finer features stuff is missing. Cost of the full package is about £23GBP. The licence is one off lifetime & covers any updates as & when they get intro’d.
It is so so so much better than Media Server, the album art is shown for all browsing stages & it’s instantaneous (unlike slow-show Media Server). There are a lot more browsing paths & features & all are customer selectable with editing features.
Setting up is just a matter of installing (via Synology DSM), once installed it scans (indexes) your NAS & once thats done its ready to go in its default state.
It cannot screw up your library, its only reading the files (metadata)
I’ve been through 2 or 3 Synology updates during beta testing & nothing was affected. Its also approved (supported) by Synology & it should be seen in the next series of DSM, I suspect that will be DSM-7, its not in 6.2.2 but maybe it might go into 6.3
It doesn’t show track times until the track is playing
At Artist level it shows the art for the first album in the artist album list. Obviously once into the artist level its each specific album art. The program to show art at Artist level can be turned off & then it shows a little man outline icon.

Recommended - have fun

Hey Mike-B, thanks for the comprehensive answer.

I’m on 6.2.1 and haven’t looked for it yet. I would only consider it if it is available through their release to avoid viruses and such. How does the paying part work? Would it ask for a license key after you install it? It would have to be a lot better than Media Server to pay for Asset, since that “works”.

(A little less cynical)

Theres no licence key, you will get a link to the registered version on the dbpoweramp website after payment is complete.
Installation is via the Synology app centre, manual install.
It is a lot better than the Synology version. It runs pretty quick on my old DS215j.

Serious question, what does Asset get you over Moode or Volumio running on a Raspberry Pi?

Asset is NAS (computer) media server DLNA/UPnP software. I’m not familiar with Moode or Volumio. If you use them I guess its whatever is different. A friend of mine has Asset running along with Raspberry Pi, he’s happy but its still Asset.

There is a new revision in beta testing at the moment, amongst the changes mostly affecting Mac & Windows, it has fixed the missing Composer info when browsing.

I’ve been running Asset 6.2 with the new beta-3 as mentioned above, it fixes an issue with composer browsing.

I’m still fiddling around with what I want on the browse tree, given that I know my library inside out I’m probably set in the Artist & Album section in that it just finds albums, the Composer & Genre is still undecided, I’m probably going to end up with what I have as shown in the browse tree picture & then learn to use Dynamic browsing to find individual tracks/songs by artist/composer.
Interesting to experiment, maybe too many possible options.
Any other ideas & suggestions from anyone ???

Wait a minute. If it’s going to be in the DSM, does that mean you don’t have to buy the license? Should I wait till it’s supported? Or is there no difference to install it now?

I don’t know about that, by supported I had in mind that Asset UPnP software conformance & compatibility will be integrated by Synology into their DSM package.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.