Asset UPnP issue

I just read your conversation on the Asset forum. Spoon, who writes the stuff, is very clear that Asset sends the tracks in the order shown on the screen, and suggests that the player is doing an alphabetical sort. But of course you need evidence and hopefully you can get it from the debug. It’s difficult being caught between two companies, especially when it should ‘just work’. If it’s at the Dcs end it suggests that Mosaic is not as universal as UPnP might suggest. There is always the likelihood that Dcs will simply say to use Minim. That might be the path of least resistance, assuming that Minim actually does sort by number order.

Indeed, I suggested on my earlier post to try one of the www ‘generic’ UPnP apps, if that works correctly, then the problem is with the Mosaic app.

I tried downloading Mosaic control but it couldn’t find my Naim boxes, so it may be a closed system.

Maybe it 's also closed to some aspect of Asset, not sure what as Mosaic ‘claim’ its UPnP compliant. Telling Asset that it’s a Mosaic app might be helpful.

I have no issus with track order on the Naim App, Bubble App or even mConnect when music is sourced from Asset.

With the correct metadata the track names are irrelevant.

@anon4216120 - are you sure you are not accessing the ‘folder’ rather then the album?

Yes… I’m not doing folder browsing.

The comment ref. Mosaic working with NAIM. Well tbh would one expect the NAIM app to work with a different brand? Not really.

The Linn app can control Naim.

Yes… I know what you mean. I’m stuck in the middle with both sides blaming the other. Using minim is one of the answers to the problem but good grief Minim is complicated. The issue with Minim is it’s not, IMHO, intuitive. There are option fields on the setup screen which are totally cryptic. Simply getting it to, for example, display the track text as ‘tracknumber-title’ means a line of confusing commands :frowning:

I’m curious… the other way around?

I know. I once used Minim, as Asset wouldn’t at that time work on Synology. The Minim Watch thing on the laptop kept going wrong and it wouldn’t rescan automatically. As you say, the weird coding commands are, well, weird. Asset is much simpler for a numpty like me and I can control it from my iPad, which is great.

Maybe Spoon could help you to extract the debug file if you can’t do it. If Asset is working as intended Dcs really should sort their Mosaic out. There must be loads of Asset users out there - it’s really popular.

My job when I get home is to get a debug log from Asset…

I’ll report back what I find.

Darn it looks like it’s Asset :frowning:

Below shows the start of the log which is where the bartock is requesting the play queue list…

Note the tracks are in alphabetical order - as a test can you guess the album? :wink:

========================TRACKS==================
Above the Clouds
Do Ya
Livin’ Thing
Mission (A World Record)
Rockaria!
Shangri-La
So Fine
Telephone Line
Tightrope

dc:titleAbove the Clouds</dc:title>dc:creatorElectric Light Orchestra</dc:creator><upnp:artist role=“AlbumArtist”>Electric Light Orchestra</upnp:artist>upnp:artistElectric Light Orchestra</upnp:artist>upnp:albumA New World Record - 192K</upnp:album>upnp:genreRock</upnp:genre><upnp:albumArtURI dlna:profileID=“JPEG_TN”>http://192.168.9.14:26125/aa/799981906131819/cover.jpg?size=0</upnp:albumArtURI>http://192.168.9.14:26125/content/c2/b24/f192000/d-6477921326205260234-coBDE899AC12FF976C.flachttp://192.168.9.14:26125/content/c2/b24/f192000/d-6477921326205260234-coBDE899AC12FF976C.forced.wavhttp://192.168.9.14:26125/content/c2/b16/f192000/d-6477921326205260234-coBDE899AC12FF976C.forced.l16http://192.168.9.14:26125/content/c2/b24/f192000/d-6477921326205260234-coBDE899AC12FF976C.flacupnp:class

BUT this is the part of the log where it shows the tracks on the screen when I show the album…

========================TRACKS==================
Tightrope
Telephone Line
Rockaria!
Mission (A World Record)
So Fine
Livin’ Thing
Above the Clouds
Do Ya
Shangri-La

dc:titleTightrope</dc:title>upnp:classobject.item.audioItem.musicTrack</upnp:class>
NumberReturned: 1 TotalMatches: 9 UpdateId: 1074

So it is correct when I browse the album but then I select Play (whole album) the list from Asset is no longer in track order.

Well that’s what it looks like to me anyway.

ELO’s ‘A New World Record’ plays in the track number order for me
NDX - Synology DS214 loaded with Asset R6.4

Mine is a WAV 24/192 from HRA

I think what happens, though I’m guessing here, is the NDX reorders and plays the tracks based upon the track list when the album is browsed. So the NDX requests the play list and ignores the order on the list. Instead it refers back to the track list from the album viewing.

Just a guess but…

Just in case & maybe a longshot ; have you tried rescanning ??
Asset config GUI ‘Rescan All’
While thats going, can you clear data & image cache’s on Mosaic app

Yes… several times.

Debug log now sent to Asset.

I can’t say I understand it really but maybe the app is requesting it in alphabetical order? I do hope Dbpoweramp can explain it and hopefully that leads to a solution for you. Fingers crossed.

It can be a little complicated…

If Asset is sending a <Playlist Container> containing the metadata for the tracks to be played, then they should be in playlist order (not alpha sorted).

If Asset is sending an <Album Container> containing the metadata for the tracks to be played, then the control point & renderer should respect the track number in the metadata.

From the partial XML fragment you list above, I suspect that Asset is sending an <Album Container> and that it’s the Mosaic / Bartok system that’s not operating according to the UPnP AV specification.
http://upnp.org/resources/documents/UPnP_AV_tutorial_July2014.pdf
and other documents.

It’s an Asset issue… official reply. :frowning:

The Bartock seems to do an unusual (not common) UPNP search function when looking for the album but Asset returns the request in alphabetical order when it probably should do so in track order. Asset say they will add the issue to their fixing list.

It’s certainly good practice for a Media Server such as Asset to pre-order the tracks in an album container, but the UPnP AV spec doesn’t require it, so Mr Spoon is being ultra diligent.

Good for him to respond so well! :+1: