Asset UPnP

One more question, in mp3tag the file path for the files is as shown in Asset? You haven’t got the files in c:\users\david_earnshaw\CDRips or something like that, they are all in subfolders of the Music folder in Asset?

Yes sub folders of music

Server - Asset or Windows UPnP - albums or artist. I have only tried the 2 servers as above

OK try with another device or UPnP client to rule out issues with the Naim app

One thing that is very odd is that if I set Asset to rescan my music library I find that after about 1000 tracks I can start playing some albums - not all, but they play tracks in the correct sequence. When Asset finishes scanning it finds some 13000 tracks and 11000 albums and nothing works properly, not even albums that played properly during the scan. There should be about 1300 albums in total with about 13000 tracks. The Windows server doesn’t duplicate/miscount albums and tracks, it just plays tracks alphabetically.

I believe the Windows built-in UPnP server does the alphabetical playing and is generally very poor. At least this came up previously:

Though this member then chose a different route so it wasn’t completely cleared up.

11000 albums and 13000 tracks? That does sound odd.
Is there anything else under the Music folder that is perhaps getting indexed and confusing things?
Try creating a folder c:\users\david_earnshaw\musicfiles and copy a few of your album folders in to that. Add that folder to the Audio Library section in Asset config and remove the existing Music folder from the Asset config and see if they play back properly.
Asset shouldn’t have a problem with a 13000 track library, that’s about the same as I have but other members on here have libraries much bigger than that
Screenshot 2022-01-11 173819

Maybe I’m missing something, but you said earlier in the thread that you had 40TB. But you have only 1300 albums. I have about 4000 albums, 99.5% stored as either FLAC or Apple Lossless, CD Quality or better, and they consume 1.7 TB. Are you including videos and other files?

The 40 TB was from a different member, here:

That was another poster in this same thread

My bad. I was just wondering Thruster04 has multiple copies of the same album.

That’s what I’m thinking, my suspicion is that there’s something under the Music folder being scanned and confusing things

How about getting Asset to only scan the files for one artist? That might help determine what’s going on.

It might help if Thruster04 expanded the directory column so we can see the entire path. How would Asset treat a single album if the tracks were stored in different directories?

It would see them as separate albums assuming the default settings were used.

If left to it’s own settings dbpoweramp will save as

Music\artist\album

Eg
Music\The Beatles\Abbey Road
Music\The Beatles\Let It Be

And, expanding
Music\The Beatles\Abbey Road\01 Come Together
Music\The Beatles\Abbey Road\02 Something

Asset will play Come Together followed by Something as long as the track number field contains the track number. The “number” in the file name has no effect if playing Album artist/album, which would be the standard choice for playback.

Would it? I haven’t tried, but I would expect it to group by album tag and ignore the directories. If you dump all tracks into one folder, it would sort out the artists and albums by the respective tags as well

This might be a stupid suggestion BUT how about installing the BubbleUPnP app and seeing how that handles things?

1 Like

How about the OP enquiring on the Illustrate (dBpoweramp/Asset) forum.
They’re the designer & developer of the software, Asset includes a data logging feature that will let the Asset people see what is actually going on, they can then tell us all what the problem is.
I suggested this a while back, but I don’t see anything yet … horse to water … but hey ho,

2 Likes

I have discovered that I can point Asset at music files NOT associated with Itunes and all works fine - correct artwork and correct track sequencing. Point it at Itunes library and everything goes awry. I used Itunes on a PC years ago as a means of filling my Ipod for use on holidays and in the car but I remember having a problem and Itunes was badly corrupted. Via the internet I found a way to copy music from my Ipod into a new Itunes library on my PC and the library was completely restored. However the tracks all came back with unrecognisable names and I can see these names in Mp3tag. The “restore” created some 49 folders each containing a random number of tracks from a random number of albums and a random number of cover artworks. I am pretty sure that this was Apple trying to stop unauthorised copying of albums or at least make it inconvenient. Itunes is still able to decipher these files but the 2 UPnP servers that I have tried cannot.

1 Like

So is the iTunes folder a subfolder of your music folder? If it is and it is being indexed by Asset that is probably the cause of your issues as you’re probably not playing what you think you are. The solution will be to move your non-itunes files to another folder and have Asset index that or just get rid of the iTunes folder under your music folder