At a crossroad

I guess that is what I was trying to say, and thanks for summarizing it a bit better. And I get it, sometimes you just have to stop wondering and enjoy, which is where I am at.

That being said, the 272 is no slouch of a preamp, but system suggestions say a 252 is a match for the 300, while a 250 is a match for the 272. The OP is in a conundrum I suppose and has choices. In 2007/2008 when I began my naim journey I can remember when folks thought that a laptop, into a benchmark DAC was the best quality around and trounced CD players and LP12’s with hi res files. Then naim released a dac, then power lines, then the HDX, etc. There is a new hierarchy right around the corner all the time, I suppose this isn’t about hierarchy but about matching.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my gear and I am lucky to be able to afford such luxuries only when I can afford them.

Scott

I wouldn’t worry too much about system suggestions on paper. Sometimes, things work that ‘on paper’ perhaps shouldn’t. I’ve had the 272/555/300 combination for nearly three years and know that it works, as do lots of other very satisfied owners. That’s why I can be confident in suggesting it.

Another option is go for 82, hicap, or Supercap used. Then go for the latest streaming platform with an NDX2 with an XPS2 or 555PS. Or try the NDX2 without a power supply to start.

The 82 is equivalent to the modern day 282 and there really isn’t a great deal of difference. You’ll need a minimum of a hicap. So if you go down this route you’ll have the equivalent of 282 Hicap 300 NDX2 on a budget.

Or keep the 272 and add a 555PS or XPS2. You can pick them up used. And can always use them with an NDX2 later on.

I went with 82 Supercap 2 x 135s, NDS, 555PS and it sounds amazing.

Your 282/Hicap/250 is (with a decent source) a well balanced system. 272/300 isn’t. It’s as simple as that.

The basis of this thread is an interesting one, as we probably all face crossroads at some point, often ploughing on regardless, but sometimes pausing to consider options. The following quite unrelated to the OP’s crossroad decision

In my case I see a crossroad coming up prompted by retirement and subsequent house move. The intent is for a good listening room, treated to maximise sound quality. But my challenge to myself is what to put in it! My decision will be partly on cost (which likely may be linked to the cost of home move), but also other considerations - and whilst the list below contains current ideas, I haven’t heard any of the speakers concerned other than the PMCs, and any or all may rule themselves out instantly: I see a major auditioning tour looming when decision time arrives!

All are based on Dave DAC (which may of may not get an MScaker). At present Dave feeds an active crossover, then triamping with Bryston power amps, into PMC EB1i for bass, with mid/treble through a DIY satellite sitting on the PMC, incorporating ATC’s superb dome mid, and a Scanspeak tweeter. My options are:

1. Modify the EB1 speakers, installing the mid and treble units in place of the originals, and have done with it. (There is another option around this, but not worth including here). This is cheapest, gives a great speaker though with permanent need for active driving, which is not a problem for as long as I am likely to be interested, which I hope is another three decades, but a challenge to someone once I’m not.

2. Change the speakers for PMC MB2 - which I know are superb. A slight step up from present, and sometimes I wish I’d bought at the time of the EB1s when a very good deal was offered. Buying passive version enables me still to drive active, but conversion back is easy. A bit heavier and harder to move than the EBs, being on stands - but once placed should never need moving again. Cost of change probably around £6-8k keeping same amps - a question as to whether that is best, or passive with more powerful amp (swapping is probably cost neutral). Active with more powerful amps may be a step too far.

3. Change speakers for PMC Fact 12. Relatively small speakers, ok as long as sufficient drive for the room - I know character is OK, but I’ve heard in two different rooms, in one sounding constrained, the other not. As with MB2 there would be the option to drive active, or not. Cost of change probably around £4-5k keeping same amps.

4. Change speakers and amps for large ATC actives (possibly SCM100A) challenge is the compromise between bass extension and size, guessing at these. Keeps the sublime ATC mid. A big benefit is simplicity of system. Cost to change harder to assess as S/H domestic 100As aren’t common, but probably £6-8k.

5. Change speakers and amps for ATC SCM40A plus a sub, or pair of. Wilson Benesch Torus suggests itself, though possibly limited output headroom. Advantage is smaller boxes and possibly timing precision, less complex than current system, though more so than big active ATCs. Still keeps the sublime mid. Cost to change maybe £3-7k depending on sub(s).

6. More of a change: change speakers for Wilson Benesch small mains (E.g Vertex) plus Torus subs. A complete unknown, I just have been impressed by what I’ve read. Would probably have greatest OHAF (other half acceptance factor!). Cost to change less clear as I’m not sure of models and they are not common S/H, but probably in region of £7-£10k.

7. Final option is an even bigger change: Change speakers for Ferguson-Hill FH-001 horns plus subs (e.g WBTorus if it would do the job). These speakers, full range above about 150Hz, are large but transparent (literally!), so don’t impose on the room. I’ve always loved the immediacy of horns - but only if done well. No idea if these are. 150Hz is high enough to be directional so two subs needed, and the quality of the bass may be a limiting factor, being more than normally provided by a sub. The 100dB/W sensitivity may open the door to alternative amplification. Cost to change is high: >>£20k, as highly unlikely to be available secondhand. A consideration for a lottery win, perhaps…

Seems its a big junction rather than a plain crossroad, with option 1 the easy straight road ahead, and the others providing varying degrees of difference to the destination…

Anyway, diversion over, back to the OP’s crossroad…

Seems like you have good options, and a lot can be room dependent, and will be determined by cost, etc.

Obviously you will have plenty of time as you will be heading into retirement, or retired, and can audition. I hear say that Bryston and PMC blend very well together, have heard fact 12 on the end of a musical fidelity front end triamped with a very nice LP12 which is superb, and I will be helping to set up an lp12, MF nuvista 800 and new signature fact 12’s in October. With your tri-Amping, the 12’s May be a nice match.

Just don’t utilize a bare 272 in your system😁

Scott

1 Like

To the OP. You say you seek great sound, and there’s all this stuff about your current configuration being unbalanced, but what do you think needs improving, timing, bass response, mids, resolution, space around instruments, treble?

Regards,

Lindsay

I think you have your options nailed, best of luck.

Question:

Answers:

12 Likes

I reckon a very decent solution for Rjt36 would be to acquire a 555 power supply. A good question would be how much are you prepared to spend at this time? The 555 has been available for a number of years and whilst you could ‘dig deep’ and buy a brand new 555DR; this price could be reduced if you can locate a pre-used example from a naim dealer; or you could dip lower again and get an older non DR version. I’m sure a decent dealer would be happy to lend a unit to try out at home if you have any doubts remaining. As long as you are prepared to plan ahead for servicing and potentially DR upgrade any of these options should get you to a better place and help increase the performance of your system.

Peter

1 Like

In my experience, NDX2 perform excellent on it`s own, without a psu added, 272 does not.
Go figure :blush:

S

Rjt36- don’t go Nova

Too much down the. Rabbit hole

For a great little system - go NDX2/XPSDR/DR

I’m sure you will not be disappointed - and in time a further icing on the cake would be HICAPDR ifyiu desire

Happy days I reckon

Last post - meant to say with SN3 -apologies

Or consider trading in the 300 and getting the 555 and a 250DR…:thinking:

I’d like to hear from the OP what he wants to improve, also which Sonus Oympica?

In my experience, the NDX 2 performance was enhanced significantly by adding the XPS DR power supply.

Go figure… :wink:

It goes from excellent to outstanding :sunglasses::sunglasses:

1 Like

And it was transformed by the 555PSDR, but still not my point. Its really good on its own and money can if needed be put elsewhere
My experience with 272 is that it needs a psu to perform well :blush:

2 Likes

Are you in a position to implement any acoustic room treatment? Can be difficult balancing with domestic harmony but it may bring about some significant improvements with a little research and modest outlay.