ATC SCM11 V2 for XS3 - Enough power?

Did you find the jumpers opened up the top end… or any other improvements?

You should do as @Hifi-dog suggests above. It’s much neater, and best of all it’s completely free.

2 Likes

I guess the sound gained more seperation and a bit clearer, but I imagine the cable you choose would impact on what you may hear.

The suggestion of removing the crossover plate is interesting. I won’t be trying it…I have this real ability to drop small objects (screws/bolts) into hard to get into places (boxes/cavities) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s really easy… the screws are machine screws so fit onto a threaded insert and atc put enough length on the wires that you can move the whole assembly well clear of cabinet and all you need is a small socket to undo the speaker binding posts that the leads tag to … about 15 mins in total.

1 Like

ATC’s look great and I’m sure will sound great with XS3.
I run NAC A5 speaker cable and use Chord signature jumpers - does the job if “F connection” is not achievable.

This made me smile - I have “the baby” D20R’s which produce prodigious levels of bass so would only go D48R’s if you’re v confident in yours and your house’s structural integrity!

1 Like

Hahaha, I’m a bassist so the lower end is definitely important to me, but also live in a condo so tuneful and present bass is more suitable to not getting evicted than structural rocking lol.

2 Likes

A photo of my NAC A5 with my current speakers. I used them in the same fashion with a pair of ATC SCM 7 speakers that I owned.

3 Likes

Very tidy… and the jumpers are what kind?

When I bought the ProAC speakers I dropped off my NAC A5 and my dealer soldered the bi-link connectors to the A5.

3 Likes

Might as well go the whole hog and bi amp them with 4 x NAP S1’s.

2 Likes

Run sbls active like that would be great.

I could, but I don’t feel like it right now

Update:
While deciding on which jumpers to get, I made a set from some Oyaide Explorer 2.0.

The sound improvement is huge in my system. The sibillance is basically gone, and overall the sound is much more open and less boxed in.

My preliminary conclusion is that the stock jumpers are literally and figuratively a weak link in the speaker’s capabilities.

Much happier with the SCM 11 V2 now.

Next steps will be trying a set or two other jumpers, maybe naca5 and tellurium q, and better stands - solid steel or custom design 104s

2 Likes

Regarding the jumpers I would be tempted to leave it at that - you’ve basically replaced the low quality terminal links that most multi terminal speakers comes with with some much better speaker wire - job done. I can imagine that the wire you have used it significantly thicker than what you will actually find in the speaker anyway.

1 Like

Hey there Jlow,
Looks like you may have them out of phase (but could be my eyesight).
I’d try them how they are configured in Seakayaker’s picture.
Best.

2 Likes

Indeed. The positive plug is in the negative socket. It depends what it’s like at the amp end of course.

1 Like

Yes, assuming the colour codes for the input speaker wires are correct then they are out of phase - good spot! That needs addressing though it will increase the bass response making the speaker sound more full and possibly less clear (you are cancelling bass frequencies by wiring out of phase) than what you have just been listening to.

I also noticed that Seakayaker has wired his the same way I was advised to - one speaker wire into the top terminal row and the other into the bottom. Not sure it made much difference but I stuck with it.

1 Like

Good catch! I followed them back previously and found that my local dealer had wired red and black in reverse on the speaker end. That’s why they are plugged black into red and red into black here.

But it’s actually correct as wired here. I’ll be taking the cables to get reterminated by colour code when I go on vacation next.

You know, I actually thought the same thing. You may be right. It does sound quite clean.

Update: NAC A5 Jumpers

A local dealer set me up with a set of 12” jumpers. Immediately a big difference that I favour. Just sounds right now. Was a bit bright and ‘off’ sounding with the oyaide jumpers.

Been listening to music and wow. Feel like I’m hearing the hype on these ATC’s, especially with upright bass. Very organic and natural sounding.

Will let the jumpers burn in, but I may be set for speakers.

5 Likes