ATC SCM19 vs Dynaudio Special 40

@anon16407563 @ryder Dynaudio S40’s come with foam plugs for the ports turning them effectively into a sealed box design; which can be placed very close to rear wall. I think you should listen to them and I’d really recomend a listen to the ProAc D2R ( ProAc’s ribbons are the best tweeters I’ve heard, although the Dynaudio Esotar 40 is darn close. The ProAc are front ported, and I may have bought them instead of my 40’s if they were available when I got my 40’s…Also there’s a New ProAc K1… that just might be an end of the road speaker…but big $$

1 Like

I tried ProAc D Two (silk dome) and liked them but preferred SCM19 at the time of audition.

I’ve tried a couple of other speakers with ribbon tweeters and didn’t get on at all.

I’m sceptical of using foam plugs. Surely if a speaker is designed and tuned without plugs then using plugs will kill the sound?

I owned ProAc D30R… amazingly good, the ribbon and woofer integration was great, sounded just like ProAc’s but with a airy and more beautiful top end (I think there’s couple of folks here who have ProAc K6 (ribbon) and D40R… Situation beyond my control forced the sale… this was back in 2016. As for the foam plugs Dynaudio designed them to use the plugs, or not. Before I got the Dynaudio stand 20 I had the speakers in bookcases I used the plugs. Incidentally they are two piece plugs… I didn’t think they lost anything; but they are better on the stands.

1 Like

You’re Right. In fact ATC’s midrange Dome is so good ProAc uses them in their big money speakers!

How can the 19’s sound lean and bright. They are flat and honest. They have been designed to reveal the quality of what they are fed with as effectively as possible. The only way around this look at speakers which warm up the sound. However this warmth is distortion. So there’s your choice.

1 Like

Sorry Opus, but I agree with Halloweenman here. I tried the plugs in the 40’s when I owned them, and they lost a lot of what makes them special…the bass.

1 Like

I used just the outer part of the plug. Using the whole plug did chop off more bass then needed. I’m on stands now and much better

4 Likes

You are right about foam plugs. Dynaudio use to offer Variovents for DIY kits and for their own loudspeakers. You could stuff them like you wanted. That was called a aperiodic port. Foam plugs have replaced them in their most recent speakers but it does not make them acting like sealed speakers.

PMC used to do likewise, but now produce their own clone - but it is too much of a driver to feature in their small designs, just as ATC’s doesn’t feature in its. However unlike PMC, ATC’s bass-mid driver in the small speakers have borrowed lots from the SM75-150, so likely have a fair bit of that wonderful midrange.

1 Like

It was a Vifa tweeter :blush: just for the fact :slight_smile:

ATC are no more offering their driver to other company, it was back in the day.

@benjonobo And how do you know this?

I find ATC warm, a bit laid back in terms of in your face sound. Bass is a tad loose but the mids is very beautiful, same goes to the highs, quite smooth.

I’m still keeping the Harbeth. Just thought of trying smaller speakers as I have a feeling the Super HL5+ is a bit too big in the current 3.2m x 7.0m, placed on the short wall.

Thanks for the post. At the place where I live, home audition is not possible. I don’t own the Heybrooks. I have Harbeth and Dali.

Any idea if there would be V3 for the SCM series in the near future? The Harbeth range was recently updated and the SCM V2 was around for several years already.

My room is smaller than yours and you’re just using the SCM11 instead of SCM19. Anyway, I have owned PMC LB1 Signature many years ago before upgrading to the Harbeth SHL5s (non-Plus at that time). I preferred the more balanced and natural sound of the Harbeth.

I’ll check out the ATCs when I have the time.

1 Like

Coincidentally there is a used pair of S40 local sale but think I’ll pass.

Please let us know which is the best sounding Harbeth model to your ears. When I listened to the M30.2 at the dealers, I only spent 10 to 15 minutes as I already made up my mind to go for the Super HL5 Plus during that time. The M30.2 did sound richer and more dynamic than the Super HL5+ but I did not listen long enough to ascertain its strengths.

1 Like

I did consider a used pair of Harbeth M30.2. I have less interest on the 30.1 as based on my vague memory and folks who have compared both, the 30.2 is a bit more open and dynamic than the 30.1 especially in the midrange and treble.

If there’s a used pair of M30.2 chances are high I will consider it over a brand new pair of ATC SCM19 in satin white. I am still undecided. I will likely listen to the SCM19 at the showroom to have a better idea how does it sound like.

1 Like

I don’t know about manufacturers, but they ceased supplying the DIY market about 3 years ago (info at the time on several stockists’ websites). Secondhand ones therefore hold their price very well - and they were expensive new: mine were about £450 each (not pair) 10 or 12 years ago.