ATC SCM19's v2

I appreciate that they work well for you guys but as i said tried them up and down the range on different equipment at different price points hegel, naim, even ATC’s own electronics (really wanted to like them) and I’m sorry everyone is entitled to there own opinions, but even next to a pair of russel k red 100s the sound was “thin” by comparison (again the important word here) let alone my Revels . If i had listened to them in isolation, yeah they put on good show. But even comparing them to the PMC 25 22 (think that’s right) another brand with studio lineage, man they they sounded, well, “thin”. Tried ATC’s at home as well to give them benefit of the doubt and on a suspended middle floor in a town house they sounded even worst.

People can sing their praises all they like, but once you get any speaker home you’re no longer listening to the speaker you’re listening to the room, as we all know (don’t we?) 5 star reviews or not. It just shows the importance of listening in/my your environment and not blindly following people recommendations, no matter how well intentioned or just following the must have trends on forums. My advice to people it LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN, COMPARE,COMPARE COMAPRE, if they don’t work for you move on.

Some rooms require a port some you can get away with a sealed enclosure. Mine for instance I’ve found doesn’t like transmission line designs with the base being placed outside the room, strange but true.

So my search has come to a stand still as i say till

When I had 19A in home demo for ~3 weeks, I also found them leaner and brighter sounding than their big brother 40A. 40’s have this midrange warmth and reach that 19’s can’t match. I still wouldn’t call them thin though. They were slightly more neutral in presentation than 40’s IMO.

As stated numerous times the key word being “comparison” they certainly are “thin”, “lean” (pick your desicribing word for lacking, means the some thing) sounding to other brands that I’ve compared them too. Revels have more slam and sparkle, Russell k’s more depth and mid, b&w sound like the revels with a wider sound stage. Kef well there kef and we know they can do. Pmc didn’t get with for reasons stated above but sounded nice and lively in the shop.

But I wouldn’t call the19s bright either there’s just no hummmmm “pep” they’re “lazy” sounding I guess “compared to the other brands I’ve listened to. In fact the top end I love I couldn’t fault them on that.

I just didn’t like them plain and simple really

1 Like

Good for you! At the end of the day music is a personal, subjective test, its you who will have to live with your future system, no one else.

It really is a very personal choice and I’ve satisfied an itch that for me there really isn’t anything “better” with out spending vastly more money. The whole process started because I needed somthing to get closer to wall. But there really isn’t anything at the price that can and sadly very little in the way of front ported designs that work in the room. Neats probably can but the wife doesn’t like the look so they’re instantly off the menu. In the mean time with some very carful placement of seating and speakers I’ve found a happy medium. They’re less holographic but worth the price for a harmonious home.

Another front ported ‘‘studio lineage’’ speaker that could be of interest is the Proac SM100.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.