Atc smc40

As you are on this forum, did it never cross your mind to demo any Naim gear? Maybe you have. If so, what did you think?

Just curious.

I did… very shortly. It was an integrated amplifier in an unfamiliar (and very strange sounding, IMO) room with never heard before source and speakers, so I couldn’t make an opinion. As a matter of fact, I have listened to a quite limited range of equipment. I live in a smaller town without audio dealers closer that 150 km and until recently I couldn’t consider such a significant purchase for financial reasons, so it didn’t make much sense to bother some people (read “dealers”) only to have the chance to salivate over what I can’t afford. Most of my high(-er) end exposure comes from my current Stax and my ex AKG K1000 headphones, but of course speakers are a different thing.

Understood. Must be frustrating having access to only a limited rage of HiFi. I guess we are lucky in the UK.

Good luck on your journey.

Quite so! Thanks a lot!

Hi Patu
Did you keep the Mytek?
thanks
Jim

Hi Jim,

No I didn’t. It was clearly inferior compared to other dac/pre’s I tried. Check out the previous messages, there’s plenty of info about my journey with 40A’s. Linn ADSM is my current source.

1 Like

Interesting.
It wasn’t clearly inferior when you wrote: “Mytek is surprisingly good little box though, I never thought it’d perform this well. […] Mytek does great job in front of these”.
So did it lose its lustre after extended listening?

Yes it was clearly inferior when I wrote that. Otherwise I’d own it now right? Inferior to something doesn’t necessarily mean bad. Mytek was good but there were clearly better dac/pre’s I tried, like PSAudio DS and Linn ADSM. Of course these are also much pricier options than Mytek. Mytek lost in musicality, dynamics and extension. Bass was somehow lacking punch and depth. Overall it was pleasant to listen to but I just didn’t connect with it emotionally.

1 Like

useful to know that it’s inferior to thos much more expensive DACs

1 Like

Just placed an order for the ATC SCM40A.

Now the cable dilemma… Is the Chord Shawline DIN to XLR the way to go ? Or will the equivalent Flashback get the job done just as good ?

I’ll need 2x 5 meter runs from my 252/ SC2 to the 40A’s.

I wouldn’t worry about the cable too much.i got my 40A,s last June, and just use the cable supplied by Dave from ATC, which I believe is just studio screen cable.ATc don’t go in for mega cables, so I haven’t bothered.I keep meaning to try a demo with current vs some shawl one or similar, but not got round to it. I just keep loving the music.
Preamp feeding them by the way is Auralic Vega G2.
Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

So you have XLR or RCA out… I’m guessing you’re using XLR out so all you need is XLR to XLR which is easy to work with and, IMHO, better for longer runs e.g. from pre-amp to speaker. NAIM means DIN or RCA? Just my 2ds worth.

Cheers Graham, I cannot wait for the 2 week delivery time to pass.

I actually placed an order and paid in full on Friday for the passive version and stewed over the weekend about it.

Called then dealer today and cancelled the passive and went with the active.

I must have read every review and hi fi forum post over the last 3 months about both models. The bath I am going to take selling my 300DR and SL cables was a massive mountain to climb over and commit to.

I just hope it is worth it…

Congrats Seadog , you will love the Active 40’s ! They seem less sensitive to cabling to most of us , I’ve been using Mogami 2549 but replaced them last week as I could use a shorter run so I bought some Benchmark XLR’s as I use their DAC and at $80 worth a try . They basically use Canare cable and Neutrik connectors and I’m very happy with them . Mark Grant makes XLR’s to the exact same spec . Otherwise as you mention Flashback are really good value and quick service. Chord Shawline are also supposed to be good in your set up .

Hi Seadog. It looks like we have both been going through a similar process, as I am currently awaiting delivery of my 40 Actives. After demoing both passive and active versions at my dealers, I took the actives for an extended home trial. The result is I have traded in my Ovator 400s, SL cables and 250DR. As pointed out by Grahamhifi I will also be using the same Din to XLR cable as recommended by Dave from ATC. Big thanks to my usual helpful dealer Acoustica at Chester!

I believe Canare and Mogami cables are similar (excellent) quality, used the world over in critical professional audio situations. The only question is which particular cable, as there are variants with different characteristics (e.g in terms of capacitance), at least in the Mogami range, though it is a while since I looked in detail. I seem to recall that @Xanthe has good knowledge of them. Neutrik XLRs are good.

I use Mogami Neglex 2534 cable with Neutrik nc-xx XLRs in my system.

It’s the Canare Star Quad L-4E6S cable which is low capacitance with Neutrik XX series XLR’s . I only changed so I could do some cable tidying and I had the chance to buy them whilst in the States . I definitely think Star Quad is the way to go though but don’t really think there’s much between Mogami and Canare . They are both excellent cables .

Right on PaulW ! I didn’t have the option to home demo. the Active. I did however get the passive version in for a home demo. for a week.

It really held its own against an almost twice the price ProAc D48R. It really did impress me enough to say flap it, I’ll throw caution to the wind and go all in for the active.

I’ll be moving on my 300DR and SL cables (keeping the SL DIN > DIN though, love that one far too much). Always admired and respected a fully active speaker set up, however I never had (or possible never will ever get to) have the opportunity for a full active naim or kudos system. For example a S600/S800 with 3x 500Dr or 300DR amps. or a Kudos T808 / T707 active.

So this is my alternate dream active speaker system, finally !

Congratulations! You won’t regret it. I made the same decision a while ago and while I first had some problems with the surprising boost of pure power with the actives (compared to SN2 + passives), I got everything under control with Linn ADSM and after that it’s been a pure bliss with the actives.

About the cables, I first ordered Mogami 2549 XLR cables and while they’re extremely good for the price, later replaced them with Linn Silver XLR which performed slightly better. But definitely not night and day difference. I think Linn Silver is availavble in DIN - 2 XLR configuration since I had Linn Silver DIN-DIN in my Naim setup also. Worked great between Naim DAC and SN2.

I know you won’t regret it, I also moved from 300DR, with 252 SCDR,
And they fed Dynaudio Contour 3.4, almost had sleepless nights over it, but when installed it has been wonderful, no regrets what so ever.