ATC SMC40a - what source?

I can see why you’re tempted by the 252, but I’d be inclined to resist for now. The bare 272 should be great with the ATCs, so I agree with those suggesting a one-step-at-a-time strategy. Get the speakers in and enjoy them for a few months before thinking of upgrading your source. The ATCs are extremely revealing of what they’re fed with, it’s one of the things I love about them. But if you’ve got many poor recordings they’ll let you know and you might prefer a slightly more forgiving front end.

Are you planning to get the speakers new? If so, it might be worth discussing the front end with the dealer when you buy them (but please be honest if you’re intending to buy used).

Roger

Currently the ATC’s will be new, as s/h ones seem hard to come by. Happy to buy s/h when good quality kit is available, but for these think new will be the way to go. Will discuss the front end with dealer for sure, but finding one that does Naim, Auralic, dCS is hard… (though there’s one in Essex, which is about 4 hours from me, which I’m willing to do if needed…)

I’d recommend adding the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge to your list. Roon ready, balanced outputs. Worth having a chat to Lee at Strictly Stereo.

Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ I had for ~two weeks in home demo with SCM19A. It’s a decent dac-pre but fell clearly short compared to PS Audio DS, Linn ADSM, EAR Dac4 and Metrum Acoustics Jade. Very neutral sound which lacked dynamics and power. I guess the upgrade PSU would benefit this little unit greatly.

If you are closer to Oxford there’s a dealer selling ATC, Auralic, dCS and Naim

am in Shropshire - who are the Oxford lot? or others closer still - am still googling…

Oxford Audio Consultants, nice people and have been very helpful to me

Acoustica in Chester (my dealer) carry Auralic, ATC and Naim and may be easier to reach depending where you are in Shropshire.

Roger

thanks. Have phone called planned with Acoustica tomorrow already :slight_smile:

One source that often gets overlooked is ATC’s CDA2 DAC Pre . I heard it into Active 100s at a show and very impressive too . It has a much lauded AKM Chip and CD player to boot . Well received by some well respected journos not to mention obvious synergy . It does however lack a streaming board .

1 Like

anyone know any dCS dealers near Shropshire? have tried Goolge and dCS website (awful).

272 is fantastic direct into SCM40A, try it before deciding you need to upgrade.

I ran Hugo TT (Apple MacBook as player) into SCM40A and it was sublime. Preferred it to any other DAC, including Dave and Hugo TT 2. It’s just so musical. Maybe I’m just weird :grinning:

They are a bargain at the moment second hand or new old stock.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.