ATC speakers order wait time

Does anyone have an update of wait time for scm 40 speakers :thinking:. Placed order with my dealership on 28 June unfortunately they have no updates so wondering if anyone is willing to cast light on situation :sunglasses:

Based upon my experience of buying a pair of SCM7s, I would say you speakers will arrive at your dealer at the end of August.

I was not given any explanation for the delay. But was told the ‘lead time’ was a minimum of 6 weeks.

It was worth the wait though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brilliant thanks very much for advice :slightly_smiling_face: really looking forward to collecting them

1 Like

Hi
I ordered scm 40 passive in March and was quoted 4-6 weeks or delivery, they took 6 weeks.

1 Like

Apparently, they have a parts shortage issue. I waited 12 weeks for my new ATC SCM40A, when ordered at the end of March. Unfortunately, these are faulty and have currently been waiting 8 weeks for replacements. Keep the faith :blush:

1 Like

I ordered my SCM40As on 5 June and received them on 20 July, so what’s that, about 6 weeks lead time? Worth the wait :slight_smile: :man_dancing:

1 Like

I believe that the delay due to parts shortage, is covering orders or replacements that were made at the latter part of June and onwards.

6 weeks is average I think . Mine took maximum that in 2018 .
They’ll be worth the wait .

Big thank you to all replies possibly got another 2 to 3 weeks to wait I don’t want to keep pestering my dealer good things are worth waiting for. When I home demoed them they were sublime compared to the other 8 pairs I listened to :thinking:.

1 Like

I’m considering getting a pair myself, Omegaman, and am intrigued to know which you compared them with.

1 Like

Many manufacturers are experiencing delays at the moment.

2 Likes

@Marcopolovitch I recently compared passive and active SCM40s to some of the usual suspects: Proac D2R, D20R and DT8; Spendor A4 and A7; and PMC Twenty5 23i, amongst others.

In all honesty these are all good speakers with small differences in how they emphasis different parts of the music. Much will depend upon your own musical preferences and the system and room you use them in. I found some of the speakers to be a little bit showy in the sense that they were almost trying too hard with a slightly heavy bass and forward treble. This can sound attractive when you first listen, but I wondered whether some might be a bit fatiguing over time. I tend to prefer a well rounded, neutral sound, which the ATCs do well. The mids are probably their strongest point, so if you like vocal led music these will also suit you well.

5 Likes

Hi Marcopolovitch I compared them with spendor d7.2 these were good with deep bass extension mid band clarity and detailed treble very dynamic. However they are a high sensitivity speakers I was always having to adjust the volume :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: transient attack was always too loud hence adjusting volume. Bass extension was too much in my living room. In my opinion they need a large room with solid floors heavily damped in order to bring out the best. They were very good but not in a small room.
With the atc I could turn volume up to around 9.00 with no adjustments :slightly_smiling_face: these are a lower sensitivity speaker and easier to control with a nac252.
With the atc they delivered what was on the recording with controlled bass extension detail staging, the speakers just disappeared once set up with slight toe in.
Others were falcon LS3 absolutely brilliant mid band clarity but lacking bass extension. Next ATC scm19 similar 40s but just lacking bass extension superb stage depth and imagining. There is very little difference regarding physical size once on stands.
Proac D2R I found to boom in my environment due to ported design even though I had them 830mm to tweeter from back wall. Harbeth were good but a little to smooth for me lacking clarity unfortunately.
I’m glad my dealer was able to loan speakers for home demo it’s the only way to assess them in your environment :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Same here that’s what I found detailed midrange big proac floor stand speakers were too much even at Doug Brady (Jon did warn me before dem they are more suited to larger rooms) The Atc are beautifully made with curved cabinet the drive units are a thing of beauty :slightly_smiling_face: and the weight :thinking::slightly_smiling_face: speaks volumes of the drive units quality they are massive :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you both.

2 Likes

Everyone hears speakers differently we all have our own personal taste as to what sounds right there’s no right or wrong here. However I was almost going to place my order for SCM 19s when Steve at Doug Brady suggested taking home SCM 40s for a week to dem.
I’m glad he did :slightly_smiling_face: his slight doubt with the scm 19 was just a slight lack of bass extension he said I feel over time you might miss this.

Bass extension is all part of the of music we listen too a subwoofer will struggle to correct the shortfall in bass. Size wise there is no difference after you put them on say Attacama stands plus spikes they work out at 30 mm taller than 40s. Cabinet size is same but for 5mm depth.
To me I want to hear everything in the piece of music I don’t want it sugar coating or glossing over I want to hear every nuance and tiny detail that a recording has to offer. After all isn’t that the soul objective of the recording studio :thinking:
Atcs are not to everyone’s liking perhaps they are to revealing for some folks.

2 Likes

I found myself wondering if Billy Woodman and Julian Vereker might have got on. They founded their companies around the same time and were both trying to do something in pro audio, initially.

I’ll never know! But their aims might well help to explain why the two brands are, to my ears and clearly to several others here, such a good fit.

2 Likes

Does make you wonder :thinking: the likes of Billy and Julian are geniuses in their own field of expertise. Their legacy is still with us today. Always makes me wonder how on earth did Billy Woodman design brilliant drive units for then professional studio monitors. He got something right, after all nearly all recording studios have ATC monitors.
You only need to watch videos regarding atc on a well known site about drive units do you realise how massive they are compared to others.
This will probably get edited here goes, watch video on Dolby atmos music at blackbird studio to see atc at their very best

Didn’t ATC make the bass drive unit for the DBL? I suggest they did know each other and must have had fascinating conversations about loudspeaker design. Paul Stevenson and others including our mod Richard might be able to confirm.

1 Like

I think they did read something a while back perhaps Richard could clarify

1 Like