Atom and 40wpc?

Ah, of course! I wasnt even born then :slight_smile:

Of course, 1812 recordings would likely have had far less dynamic range than an LP, and would have beaten Edison by 65 years!

Im not completely agree that Atom is very modest system.

It’s all relative.

Driving speakers is about a lot more than just how loud they will go!

(If this wasn’t the case then no one would pay the extra >£5000 just for the very modest power increase you get by upgrading a 200 (70W) to a 300 (90W)! Often the main reason for upgrading the power amp is that the 300 drives speakers so much better than the 200.)

1 Like

It’s not really about the power

It’s too revealing a speaker… any shortcomings in the atom will be revealed

But if you still like the sound… go for it !

1 Like

Morning IB. @Innocent_Bystander Last week I was playing an old version of the 1812 along with Beethoven’s Wellington’s victory:

that copes well with the battle sounds. I would be interested in knowing the version you refer to. The Dorati uses live canon and musketry and includes an explanation on how they handled the recording of loud impulsive sounds.

Hi Huw, I have that as well!
The version of 1812 to which I referred is the Telarc with Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra, DSD recording released 2012, downloadable in high res:

1 Like

Thanks IB - I’ll track it down

I agree. I have my 805d3s on a 250DR and they sing on that power-amp.

Stereonet.co.uk mentions that they measured a sensitivity of 88dB SPL at one metre and that impedance seldom drops below 4 ohms (absolute sound measured 4.6 ohms).

Most reviewers have said that it’s advisable to choose a hefty amplifier, that’s got plenty of refinement as well as drive.

Off topic, all this hard work to produce an audiophile recording, then when you go to Amazon to look for a copy they offer MP3!

Naim demoed the Atom with Sopra 1s at the factory, admittedly this was for comparison with the Satr and Nova and the Nova was unsurprisiingly the better at coping with them but the Atom did a surprisingly good job if a bit lacking in the bass resolution. None of the Unitis through the Sopras were a sound I’d want to live with but that goes for every Focal I’ve ever heard so probably no fault of the Atom.
There will be no definitive answer until you get an Atom home to try with the 805s, or a poor second best, take the 805s to the dealer to try there as home demo doesn’t seem to be the norm in the US.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.