Atom and NACA4 speaker cables

@Richard.Dane, after a little bit of searching I found my old Naim manual.

If you look at the end of the penultimate paragraph it does say indeed that the Naim logos go to the speaker end. @anon56221831, you might be interested, to note this for future reference.

Well done JDP! That saves me digging out the box with all my old Naim printed materials.

1 Like

Also says 3.5m is needed but probably not an Atom manual, possibly pre-big bang from the look of it. Is 1.5m OK?

I was told that 1.5m was fine by Naim HQ.

1 Like

So tomorrowā€™s job will now be turning the cables between my Nait 1 and Kans aroundā€¦

That is my own manual from the mid-80s when I had a 42.5/HiCap/140. It does not address the Uniti Atom specifically. :wink:

:small_blue_diamond:However was it ā€œfineā€ for technical reasons,.or for soundquality reasonsā€¦??

That is an important differenceā€¦

/PederšŸ™‚

It was fine for both thank you. TQ Ultra Blue.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy with the convenience and tidiness of shorter cables, for a slight sacrifice in SQ. This is going in a home office system. Iā€™ll use it to play music and radio from Roon while I work, but not generally focused on any serious listening. The Atom is really overkill, but I got a great deal on it, and I can repurpose it for a better use when I retire in a few years, at which point I can revisit speakers cables.

2 Likes

Cheers, so my dealer did it the other way for me. :slight_smile:
Anyway, these cables have been long gone. !!!

1 Like

Yeah, I never got rid of mine. Always seem to have some use for them. Now I also have a 7m pair of black NACA5 sitting on the floor of a closet, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll cut them down if I donā€™t need to. They might come in handy if I move the Atom elsewhere.

JDP, what speakers are you using with the atom?

The only problem you might find is that the SQ is good enough to distract you from work rather too easily. Thatā€™s what I find, anyway.

Roger

I have Dynaudio Audience 52SE, mounted on the wall above and behind my desk, aimed downwards.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not a concern for me. I get pretty focused on my work.

I am struggling to understand how speaker cable can be directional. I am not trying to start an argument - just looking for a scientific explanation for why a wire would respond differently to current flow in different directions?

FYI, the following is a note from Julian.

Date: April 17, 1999 05:33 AM
Author: julian vereker
Subject: direction

Here follows a cut & paste from an earlier post of mine. "I canā€™t tell
you why cables sound different one way round to the other, but I do
know when the ā€˜directionalityā€™ happens in manufacture.

It doesnā€™t seem to matter how the bundle (of copper) is drawn, single
direction or mixed direction, but as soon as the insulation is
extruded onto the bundle, the directionality is established. This
means that one can mark the insulation and it will always be the right
way round.

I suspect that the hot plastic insulation anneals the copper in some
way, and this affects the crystaline structure.

But all our attempts, over many years, have failed to find any
measurement to show the directionality or indeed whether one cable
will sound better than another (other than the obvious - resistance,
capacitance and inductance)

Maybe someone out there knows?"

I am not sure about being an ex Physicist, I would have thought ā€˜Once
a Physicist always a Physicistā€™. However one thing that is often
missed by the ā€˜profesionalsā€™ is that audio electronics design is the
most difficult discipline of all - one has to design for 10 octaves
and 130dB at the same time - a huge envelope, and much larger than any
other area of electronics endeavor.

julian"

2 Likes

Same here. @JosquinDesPrez would you consider hooking one speaker up one way, the other the other way around and play some mono recordings? And share what you do or donā€™t hear with us of course :wink:

Iā€™ll leave that excersize to you, thanks. I can think of better ways to waste my free time. :slight_smile: Personally, I doubt I would hear the difference, but thought Iā€™d get it straight before I put in effort to terminate the leads.

4 Likes

Me too, but I always have cable direction following the manufacturerā€™s recommendation. Iā€™m not convinced it makes a difference (reinforced by recent experience with new speaker cables for my Atom) but otherwise thereā€™s this nagging feeling that something might not be quite right. Fit, forget and enjoy the music is how I see it.

Roger

1 Like