Atom HE at home, which portable DAC for the road?

There’s a version of the required Apple CCK connector that allows you to charge the phone while the Dragonfly is attached, which is probably fine if you’re sitting at a desk. If you want your battery to last all day then running a music app and the DAC is going to use a fair bit of battery power. A separate DAP works better for me.

The Violectric looks cool. Especially as I have yet to read anything negative about them on this forum.

Also comes with a cable that fitst the iPhone, which is cool as most options means buying the crazy Apple converter.

BUT that said, considering responses talking about draining the mobile battery, I am not looking for a solution to tether to my iPhone. Hey it would be a nice option if it can do that as well. But if tethered, it would most probably be attached to my PC.

1 Like

Apologies to all for the slight thread drift, but could you tell me how you connect the Cobalt into your system please @Petersfi ?
Cobalt into the USB DAC slot on the Zen, what cables from the Cobalt to the 552?
I’m sure I’m just being a bit dim…

Zen Usb out/cobalt/Audioquest emerald 3.5 pin to rca input on 552.
When the nds comes home, audioquest cinnamon ethernet from eero node to zen then another (same) cable to nds with innuos sense workaround

1 Like

Got it, thanks, I was being a bit dim!
My system is Zenith / NDS / SN2, and I also have a Cobalt, hence my curiosity.

So I remember watching Game of Thrones. It was pretty exciting. And then the last season hit. It was boring, predictable and a letdown.

Why do I mention it? Cause it is pretty much how this is going to end up.

After all the great suggestions and hours spent reading up about it I am going to do… nothing…

Well not totally nothing. What I neglected to mention is that I already own a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. A while ago someone sent it to me with a Procaster microphone to record a training course.

Its an ASIO device and tonight I tried it with my Celestee and you know, its not bad. Its also the way I get my computer sounds to my Atom HE at the moment. It works, I know it works and it sounds… well not all that horrible at all.

So I ordered a carry case to see if this can be the solution.

I guess cause it is wired in I never thought of it as a portable device.

The ideas on this thread were super helpful, though, thank you!

3 Likes

How often will you carry the Atom SE? Is it weighty?

Oh yeah I should have said. The Focusrite Scarlett has a headphone socket.

Power is power, if you have inefficient headphones they will need power to drive them loud enough and it will drain the iPhone battery.

Used to drain my phone’s when I used it. Also cables break between connection from DAC to phone I want through quite a few.

Did you try it? Interested if it’s just me….
Seems crazy but I don’t miss the nds

I probably would try it if I had a 3.5mm to RCA cable @Petersfi !
Guess I could buy one for a bit of fun (*Edit: just ordered one!).
They do say that best SQ from an Innuos is via the USB rather than ethernet (in our cases, via UPnP Bridge), difficult to imagine that Innuos - AQ Cobalt - 552/500 (or in my case SN2) could be on a par with Innuos - NDS/555PS - 552/500 (SN2) though.
Guess you will find out when the NDS returns home :slight_smile: post back when you do and let me know!

1 Like

I have a Chord 2Go&Hugo2 for my travels (with a 1TB MicroSD card for when there is no available Wi-Fi internet connection). Controlled from my phone via MConnect or Chords’s Go-Figure.

The same 2Go with the same microSD card is my music file server at home, either slotted into a 2Yu and with a Farad Super3 power supply, or still connected to the Hugo2 if I want headphone listening away from the main system.

I no longer need a NAS, Melco or Innuos for local music files on my network as my CD’s are all ripped (with my previous Melco) and I just buy & download hi-res from Qobuz Sublime for additional purchased music.

I tried a Mojo for a while with my phone and/or laptop but like others on this thread at that level I would go for the AQ Cobalt instead. The Mojo’s microUSB socket worked loose and it’s battery would lose charge quickly.

@ChrisH , in no rush to pick up the nds, (it’s a day trip). Been away for two weeks and had a great listening session last night running roon on the zen3. 552/500 was powered down for the first time in 2 years. Think I’ll settle for now and pick up the nds in a few weeks which should acclimatise me enough to do the base comparison. Better bail now before the thread police show up. :wink:
Cheers
Peter

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.