Atom HE headphone extension cable

Some advice for a new headphone convert please. I take delivery shortly of an Atom HE which will be connected to my Nap 250 DR on my Fraim
Rack. My seating position is around 3-3.5 metres away and I will be using Focal Celestee or Clear MG headphones.

I reckon I need a 4m extension cable. Should I go for a balanced cable, given the length I need, or stay with standard connection and what makes of cable do you recommend please?

1 Like

I use a Mark Grant extension cable. Trilogy 931 amp to Focal clear.
Heavy, thick enough to supply power to Coventry. Never found it lacking.
Speak to Mark about balanced. Very helpful guy.
I tend to use his wares over and above known brands.
Grado also make an extension.

N

Many thanks - I had forgotten about Mark Grant Cables although I recall they have a good reputation for quality at an affordable price. I will contact him for advice

I have a pair of Focal Clear headphones used with a DAC V! whilst the original cableway long enough I found it heavy, cumbersome and uncomfortable.

I purchased a Custom Cans 4 metre lead and it is excellent nice and light and sounds better than the original.

Thanks - I hadn’t heard of Custom Cans but I have now checked out their website - very interesting

Picture of the cable I had made up excellent quality indeed.

FYI Focal do make longer cables that are available as optional extras - if you ask your Focal dealer, they should be able to supply/order in.

Got my 4m balanced cable from custom cans for my Clear Pros. The Focal 5m coiled cable was way too heavy. But I expect well built. Try custom cans. Great sound and colours too.

1 Like

That what I found with the Focal cable so so heavy and uncomfortable after 40 years in Motor Transport I’ve used lighter jump start cables!!

There are a new selection of Focal cables to choose from now - essentially longer versions of the cables that come with the headphones themselves.

Thanks for all the ideas and I will pursue although I think Custom Cans or Mark Grant may be the preferred cables as I expect Focal will be a lot dearer

When I was looking I could not believe the price of some of cables some were well over 50% of the cost of the headphones absolutely ridiculous ??

The Clear MG comes with a 3 meter XLR cable. But suppose this is just too short for your needs?

I’m just using that but got a Grado unbalanced extension cable for when I need it. Been using it with my Celestee and the result is pretty good.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.