Atom Heart Mother

I wasn’t very fond of it, but it has grown on my over the years, especially the title track – which is very peculiar when you think about it – and “Fat Old Sun”.

Back in about 2008 I saw a performance at London’s Cadogan Hall of the main suite by the Italian band Mun Floyd, with a brass section conducted by co-composer Ron Geesin… and a certain D. Gilmour on guitar (I sat in the same row as Storm and Polly!). And very good it was too.

To be fair to old Rog, none of them liked it very much… except Nick!

1 Like

I have a feeling that “Wine Glasses” from the “Household” sessions (or at least a variation of it) was used on a later PF album.

I think it may have been Wish You Were Here.

:+1: :smile:

“Wine Glasses” was included in the WYWH “Experience Edition”. But the more interesting tracks on that album are the live “Shine On…”, “Raving & Drooling” and “You Gotta Be Crazy”, from the legendary 1974 Wembley concert. Add “Echoes” from one of the mega compilation sets, and DSotM, both from the same concert, and you’re away!

Truly their Finest Hour.

(Well two and a bit hours!)

1 Like

It’s possibility my least played PF album must give it another try, it’d still have to be better than the dreadfully Momentary Lapse of Reason, The Division Bell and Endless River.

1 Like

Div. Bell. & Momentary were really ‘Dave Gilmour’ albums, and I enjoyed them for that. I saw Endless River as a homage to their friend.

I never really “got” AHM, and TBH, I’m not even sure I do to this day (but bear in mind I’m only considering the AHM suite itself, rather than the complete album.)

What happens if you take all the music off this track and you only listen to the fried eggs and the walk and the newspaper and the drop from the tap?

Oh, the drop from the tap!

2 Likes

Endless River may have its moments but the other 2 aren’t great imo. The endless rhymes for the sake of rhyme is almost childish.

But compare that to the funeral dirge that was The Final Cut??

The Final Cut is difficult but oddly enough I like it, tracks like The Fletcher Memorial Home and The Possible Past are imo great tracks.

1 Like

I bought TFC on LP. It got a couple of plays.

Decades later I bought it on CD ( the extra Tigers track?). It got a couple of plays.

It starts with the worst bits of The Wall, and goes downhill from there.

1 Like

I’d recommend Blue Fuse from Ron Geesin for those that want to explore further.

1 Like