Atom & NAS recommendations

I used the free version of Minim and it was adequate for my needs but that was no longer the case when version 2 came out and the free version was cut back a lot. Given that I’d be looking at paying for a UPnP server I looked at Asset and for my needs it was a far better option and that’s where my money went

1 Like

You don’t need a Nucleus to use Roon. The Roon Core software can run on a Mac/PC as well, and well enough to live with it for a while and see how much you like it. Though a separate Core like Nuclues may be more convenient; but with a small bit of work you can get much of the same in the form of an Intel NUC (the basis for the Nucleus) for 600 euros or so

Yes really 2 different propositions – using Roon as the server and access point (it can be run on a wide variety of hardware), and buying a Roon Nucleus because it’s essentially a nas that never needs any attention from the user. I do both and am happy with both!

I also use Roon, although instead of a Nucleus I built my own Roon ROCK server on an Intel NUC, which is essentially the same thing as a Nucleus Plus at a fraction of cost. The advantage of a Nucleus is that it’s plug and play ready to go if aren’t technically inclined/willing to build your own. Either way I’m like Bart in that I like the Roon interface (I use a iPad Pro as a controller).

I like how Roon integrates Qobuz seemlessly with my audio file store into one unified library. I also like that I don’t have to constantly worry about making sure an otherwise unmanaged NAS has all the security patches and OS upgrades to keep it from being hacked/hijacked for nefarious uses.

My single Roon server supports my NDX2, Atom, Mu-so Qb 2 and Mu-so 2 all simultaneously. I’ve never even used my NDX2, Atom, and Mu-so 2 as anything other than a Roon endpoint. The Qb2 is mostly used for my bedroom TV.

That’s what I’m considering now, but for a Windows machine. Why is Minim better for classical (more than half my collection)?

Minimserver is arguably the best server for organising and browsing metadata, especially on Classical music where additional fields such as composer, orchestra, conductor etc. are useful. Asset is also pretty good. The Naim servers are particularly lacking in this respect.
Having said that, this bothers some people more than others. Worth trying a couple of different options to see what you prefer. Asset is more user friendly so you may prefer it.

Lucky you. The JRiver server causes my Nova to reboot regularly. Oddly, JRiver works with my MuSo 2 and my Nova works with Twonky and LMS/ChromeCast plug-in. (I started another thread on my problem.)

My brother has also had problems with JRiver and his Beoplay smart speaker.

Thanks. I’m pretty casual with my tagging, but I have found those fields useful for classical. If I enter the data with JRiver (as I have been doing) can Asset see it?

Seems I am not very fussy and particular (yet) on this subject. Am using a Synology NAS and I just load it up with music, enable SMB service, use the Naim app and find my music by folder structure :sweat_smile:

On my Windows PC, I use foobar and my files are tagged ok cleanly. But years of using various DAPs have taught me the safest approach is still by folder structure. I suppose I am old fashioned.

I have no experience of JRiver, but if you mean that you use it to edit metadata then Asset should be able to read that metadata as long as it’s stored in the conventional way.
There is a free trial period available for Asset, why not give it a try?

@ChrisSU - I was responding this comment. What makes Minimserver better? :grin:

Weird

You will find lots of posts by searching for Minimserver and Classical. I am not a c-freak and don’t use Minimserver so I’m of little help, but one I found:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.