Atom or Nova - how much power to drive Dynaudio Evoke 50's?

The Dirac in the M10 is only the basic version, not the full version unless you already have a full version from another unit. Dirac in the M17 is great…not so much with the M10. I found with Dirac running I had to get the volume to about 85% to have at a reasonable level. For some reason the volume calibration seems off with the M10

But I can pay to get the full version on the M10, no? Seems relatively inexpensive. There’s no way to get room correction on the Naim, at least not for all sources. If I’m not mistaken.

I guess I need to trial them side by side as I anticipate my room is going to create a real challenge.

In another thread, someone from Naim explained that MQA can be added to the new steaming platform as a firmware update. MQA does not require a MQA-specific DAC. What remains to be seen is if Naim actually adds support, since they will have to pay MQA for licensing. I hope they don’t.

Very good - I can only echo Svetty’s comments … time for an extended home audition during Christmas :slight_smile:

1 Like

New system installed today. NDX2, XPS DR, SN2, Dynaudio Evoke50, Innuos
Zen.
Sounds absolutely brilliant. My room size is 7m x 5m and they fill the room.
The SN3 drives and controls the speakers well dispelling previous warnings on this post.
It’s not often I’m stunned but the sound is that good. I was very happy with my Nova and Special 40s until the bug bit. All I can say is the new system is in an entirely different league, which it should be considering the cost!

3 Likes

Amazing!!! That is almost exactly the dimensions that my room will be. Although I do have 275cm ceilings in parts.

Question for me, I suppose, is how much better of an amp is the SN3 vs the one inside the Nova. Obviously a step up, but not so much in terms of power because I think they’re rated the same.

Glad to hear it worked out and they sound amazing. Were the Evokes pleasing from the get go or did you have to run them for 48h or so?

I have both, with the SN2 and NDX2 in my main system with the Nova moved to my second system. They are both excellent options at their price points, but the SN2 and NDX2 are much more refined with a considerably more solid delivery.

The watts can be misleading, the SN2/3 delivers much more current, which translates to much more control and grip of the speakers than the Nova. For the streamer, the NDX2 is considerable better, much lower noise floor and wider soundstage.

1 Like

The Nova is very good but the SN3 is, from my experience the better amp.
The new system cost twice as much as the old one but I’m happy as it is a huge improvement. The Evoke 50 is an exceptional speaker.

2 Likes

pstare, from my experience with the Special 40s and what I’ve been told by other users Dynaudio speakers will continue to improve over several months.
Straight out of the box the Evoke 50s sound a bit special.

Very glad hearing so.

When you can, and if you have it right, it would be useful if you could try some tracks of Electronic and Dance Music at a good volume, around 9-10 o’clock, to see how the SN3 behaves…, and tell us if you think it is, of course…

Cheers.

I’ve tried it at about 9:30 and it was fine but too loud for comfort.
The SN3 controls the speakers ok.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.