Atom or Nova

Yes, I am one who always wonder if I made the right choice. What I look for is best value, which I feel is fair. In this case, I think the value for both is pretty decent in today’s pricing with all the inflation. Makes it a difficult decision.

I have always been skeptical about cables. How can the cable make such a big difference? It’s just copper. With that being said, I wouldn’t mind splurging for some NAC A5, but I believe they are discontinued and a bit harder to find in the US from a reputable dealer.

Thank you for the detailed reply. HE = Atom Headphone Edition? Would love to go with the 250DR, but sadly, it is out of my price range. Glad to hear that you feel the Atom paired with the 705s2 works well. In your opinion, Is “a touch more complete” worth $1800? That’s what I a heavily debating :slight_smile:

NACA5 should still be a current product.

I do Not have a sub and i dont think its needed in either case. I bought a used 250 w dr for about 1800 (2500us) if i were going nova but thought upgrade path was in the cards, id consider HE atom with outboard amp. If u want one box and forget atom or nova is excellent. My point is if your budget is maxed at the atom, you have an excellent resolving musical system. stevehuffphoto has an excellent review of atom and nova with your speakers and i agree with everything

I don’t use a sub, I think the sound is great without one. That said, I’ve never actually tried one.

1 Like

I was sceptical of speaker cables too and bought some cheaper QED cables recommended by the hifi shop I got my atom from.

Then I discovered this forum and the fact that if you use speaker cables too different from naim specification it can cause overheating issues (this doesn’t happen so often with the unities but there have been the occasional threads). And I realised I needed longer cables for the way I wanted them set up.

So I trialled some witch hat phantoms and kudos ks1 cables. I was shocked by the difference speaker cables can make for example adding more bass and hearing top end I hadn’t before in tracks.

In my system/room the ks1’s had no downsides whereas the phantoms did. So I returned the phantoms within 30 days for a full refund and got my dealer to make me my own set of ks1’s. So I’d suggest trying a few speaker cables if you get the chance to see if it makes enough of a difference to make it good value for you.

1 Like

Hi, no I don’t run a sub, with the cm8’s there’s no need, possibly the same with your choice too, the Nova produces plenty of bass, I would try without one first and assess the sound.

I have both, Nova all day long at that price differential.

1 Like

I had atom and now nova. It all depends on what your speakers, your room and your ears need. My room is big and needs more power than the atom. But I could have stayed with him. The difference is not huge. It’s all a little better, a little

2 Likes

Pretty decent uplift in performance - typically Naim know their products and price accordingly.
I found it worthwhile going from Atom to Nova. Probably one of those upgrades you can try risk free I…e it will be better guaranteed but only the individual can decide if that’s bang for buck!

I have both and with diifering abilities are both superb, my Atom is set up with Foacl Aria 906 in my dinding room and it’s a great system, my Nova is in my listenenig room driving much bigger speakers and I can only describe the sound as the Atom on steroids!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.