Atom - speaker audition

I don’t know really, but I imagine that he wants speakers that disappear the most in the living room.
So if floorstanders, sealed speakers or front ported can be set up close to the wall .

Hi,

Sonetto 2 works great with the Atom (have a pair of these with the Nova and used to have an Atom before). Try to book a demo, you could love them.

1 Like

Hi all, thank you so much for the advice and recommendations. Really appreciate it, it’s given me a lot to think about. Who’d have thought treating yourself to a new hifi would be so stressful! I know it’ll be worth it in the end.
Cheers, Mo.

Hi, @Mr.M

Thanks again for all the advice. To be clear the 50m square space is not a dedicated space but an extension which will be part of an open floor plan including kitchen and dining space….!

Cheers, Mo.

1 Like

Put ATC SCM11 on your list. I run them in a small space with an Atom and am very satisfied.

3 Likes

No worries, The cable thoughts might have gone a bit off topic but what connects boxes together is as important so good to vocalise the options!
If the room is open plan the speakers will still interact with it in a specific way so if floorstanders are acceptable visually they’ll fill the space with a little more ease. Sounds like you’re on the right path for options, listen to them ideally at home first if you can, speakers tend to be more personal in preference than most components.

1 Like

Thanks, mate. Gonna have a long list to listen to!!

Cheers, Mo.

You haven’t given a budget, but where an Atom is concerned I would be thinking of quite efficient speakers , perhaps the Focals ?

As a matter of law, you must start with PSB Alpha P3 and upgrade as necessary.

1 Like

I’d look at Spendor 3/1. However, they will require a stand. They are pretty good in big rooms.

1 Like

It might be useful to have an FAQ for NACA5 installation even if it consists mainly of “don’t throw it on the floor, bend it into the desired shape” and some photos

1 Like

Hi Pauel,

Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers, Mo.

We are building a shiny new support portal right now - i’ll look to repurpose what i’m sure is a wealth of advice on the subject and get that uploaded…

1 Like

I’ve always felt like it was a case of “we developed our products using it, just buy some and don’t ask questions”
Yes it works and in most cases works well but there is this vague grey area around what cable characteristics are compliant. The manual (for a Supernait 3 at least) just states that some Naim amps are fine with any good cable, whilst others will likely burst in to flames and not be covered under warranty!

I suppose the idea is that this is the dealer’s job, but unfortunately the reality is that not everybody can rely on a good dealer and we had to sort issues on the forum because dealers recommended things that were wrong

I’m relatively new to this forum, and my observation (for what it’s worth), is that it’s a very broad church. There is a wealth of knowledge, but a very wide range of requirements. There are super-technical high end people on here (I love seeing the pictures of those systems), and then there are people like me, who have a bunch of other hobbies where we might consider ourselves knowledgeable, but for our hi-fi’s we don’t want to go that deep just now, but want a great sounding system, that’s low maintenance, and ‘just works’.

I love reading the technical discussion on here, even though in many cases, I don’t understand the terminology just yet (references to models etc…). I don’t understand all the components and their functions either. I do appreciate the combination of art & science though.

I bought NACA5 early on, as I heard good things about it, but I bought it with no idea of its physical characteristics. I find it a bit inconvenient, too big, and unsightly, plus it was a nightmare when I needed to change the connectors on the end, when I switched from Superuniti to Atom. I prefer the newer cable I got, that’s easy to use, less conspicuous, and sounds fine to my ears.

The key, is that someone buying it, should know what they are getting (I didn’t), as they can then decide if they really want it. That to me, seems the beauty of this forum … the ability to tap into others experience, and select the right choice for your personal needs. I might get white NACA5 in the future, and I’m already plotting an upgrade of my Atom to a Nova next year, but in the meanwhile, spare cash tends to get directed towards fishing tackle, single malt, and wine :joy:.

2 Likes

My dealer (UK Platinum) has always recommended anything but NAC A5, so go figure!

Not saying that every dealer is always wrong, but we had members buying dealer-recommended cables that made units overheat.

1 Like

They all sell multiple brands and I’m sure the dealer networks vary to a degree country to country and region to region, looking at this as I am from a UK perspective the relationship with the local partner network is more defined and “real time” whereas if you live in Vietnam or up a hill in New Zealand that relationship may not be so clear or intimate.
I think it would be helpful to have more precise guidance and certainly guidance that is product specific. If you refer like many owners will to the manual that Naim supply it’s open to interpretation and will make many default to NAC A5 for fear of their investment being damaged beyond repair.
Many owners have alternatives that work well and are preferred to the default NAC A5 option. Having said that, even the alternatives that owners try, like and keep aren’t referenced against a known set of recommended parameters in many cases, the logic being, if it has the same electrical characteristics as NAC A5 you “should” be ok, but there must be a greater degree of tolerance than that specified by NAC A5 and I can’t believe that Naim themselves haven’t tried and tested other cables either in development or as part of an ongoing R&D process.

1 Like

We’ve tried Super Lumina :wink:

But seriously - that new NAC A5 online primer is being discussed right now.

2 Likes