Audio Journalists and Reviewers

Do other chickens charge?

Maybe thatā€™s why he likes Naim amps so much, they are so fast!

1 Like

Interesting! ā€¦MF do have that reputation. Iā€™ll confess Iā€™ve never heard a Musical Fidelity product Iā€™ve not hated - despite being the occasional darlings of some of the Hifi press.

Was it the A300 that was 20w pure Class A and you could fry an egg on the top of?? :fire::fried_egg:

In my experience Chickens are not so au fait with the structures of the capitalist system. If they were, man weā€™d be in troubleā€¦

ā€¦as it is their commercial acumen is greatly Egg-aggerated :egg::egg::egg::egg: ā€¦cracking security guards though :drum:

2 Likes

Iā€™m just going to drool over that for a whileā€¦

(Troika on there too :drooling_face:)

5 Likes

I remember that. It was HIFi World. This was when the DVD format had only recently been released. One of the reviewers there reviewed a Sony (or similar) DVD player and declared it would shake up the HiFi market completely as it was right up there with the very best CD players available, regardless of cost. This was a time when there some very good CD players by any standards, e.g. DPA Enlightenment transport + Enlightenment DAC.

I wrote an e-mail to HiFi World in disgust, and they even published it in the next edition. However, they didnā€™t pursue that line of thought for very long, so I think someone must have had a word with that reviewer.

1 Like

:joy:

At the time I had concluded that the 6 pack was unlikely to ever be within my grasp, but with some saving I would eventually be able to afford system 3 which I think was a Manticore Mantra, Incatech Claymore etcā€¦ Sadly, however, this never happened!

Thatā€™s it, if I remember rightly there was a retraction article a month or two later saying it was the musicality that he liked. Fair enough to me, if he liked it then itā€™s a valid opinion but it does illustrate how different we all are. The magazine lost a lot of credibility over that review

I met Derek Gilligan of Kudos last year, and bemoaned the fact that there were no reviews of the Titan 808ā€™s out there.

He recognised it as a problem - but said they were at full capacity anyway, so the extra interest and sales would create a problem!

He suggested said that the most recent product review - of a combined system with Exposure Electronics and 707ā€™s run passive and then active, had done them no favours. It turned into a review of active vs passive - and there was some implied criticism of the speakers in passive mode that could be taken out of context. I have read it and itā€™s an odd review.

They are planning on lining up more reviews - so the manufacturers clearly still see value in it - even if they canā€™t stage manage it as much as they like! (And weā€™d not want them to of course!)

I wonder how many extra 555PS Naim have sold on the back of the recent review in Hifi+ ā€¦itā€™s a great review - although I donā€™t know of Stephen Priest.

Iā€™d expect it will have got people talking to dealers - as while we all use our ears, some validation is sometimes useful and encouraging.

2 Likes

Funny, I thought it was Martin Colloms behind that article. But I read quickly.
So Hificritic has a new guy now. Gave me the desire to buy the next number.

Iā€™ll offer another shout for Andrew Everard, without whom I probably wouldnā€™t be here. Iā€™ve never subscribed to hifi mags, though I might occasionally buy one to while away a long train journey. However, for many years I did susbscribe to Gramophone Magazine, which had a short section devoted to equipment and reviews. It was Andrewā€™s Gramophone review of the original Uniti that prompted me to pay a visit to my local dealer, though I actually ended up with an XS system. That was the start of my Naim journey which has brought a lot of pleasure. So thanks Andrew.

Roger

5 Likes

I have only Stereophile as subscription. Digital on my IPad. Around 12 euros per year. So 1 euro per magazine.
Hificritic is around 30 euros for one issue. I buy only from time to time.

Not a fan of his writing

You are correct that Martin Colloms wrote the ND555 with 2 PS review in HiFi Critic. However, the link above is to a different review in a different publication, HiFi Plus.

3 Likes

Correct - the Hi-Fi Critic review of ā€˜double-barrelledā€™ ND 555 is here

2 Likes

Thanks - not actually read that before.

Will certainly have me scurrying to check the ground switch! ā€¦this should be set to ā€œdefaultā€ (Iā€™ll dispense with all the left/right/as you look at it confusion of the review!) if there is nothing else connected?

I have a remote cable that goes to the 552 - I wonder if this counts as another connection. Although obviously the 552 is already connected via Din.

I always liked John Bamford too - wrote well for HiFi news - then went into the industry in a senior role at Pioneer - then went back ā€œhomeā€ to HiFi news.

I didnā€™t realise heā€™d passed away.

Thanks for clarifying. I watched the link quicklyā€¦

ā€˜Will no-one rid me of this turbulent priest?ā€™ :wink:

2 Likes