Audio Technica AT-637 - cleaning fluid?

Do we actually know that? Sure, it makes an audible noise, but that alone doesn’t tell you that it isn’t also vibrating at a frquency we can’t hear, such as one that’s above 20kHz.
When I had one, my cat used to react to it quite clearly, whereas he never took any notice of music playing, so I tended to assume that this was a reaction to frequencies that I couldn’t hear myself.

All I can say is that I took my AT cleaner (exactly like the photograph) when I went down to him for him to fit his Music Master 2 to my arm I showed it to him for advice on whether to use it and his comment was “don’t put that near your cartridge or you will likely have another trip down here to fit a replacement stylus/cantilever”, my AT cleaner went into the bin on my return home rather than take the risk, that was about 10 years ago though. Whether his comment applies to his cartridges only (moving iron not moving magnet) or not I don’t know. I just added the comment as a possible warning for people to consider not advice.

True I suppose

Thanks. Considering that hifi is supposedly about attention to detail, the lack of detail one frequently encounters in this world is astounding. If he had mentioned to have seen broken ones and given some detail/explanation, that would be helpful. Considering that thousands and thousands of people used the AT-637 without damage (has anyone ever seen a forum post with a complaint?), and other TT technicians (like mine decades ago) recommended the 637, and continue to recommend the Flux-Hifi model, I don’t know how to weight these things.

Another thing to consider is how many styluses were broken by manual use of a brush. I suppose “don’t put that near your cartridge or you will likely have another trip down here to fit a replacement stylus/cantilever” could be said about brushes and Linn paper just as well

1 Like

Well said. ‘Manual’ cleaning has its own special risks, too.

That’s a fair point, but I think it’s unlikely. The one we do know about is the Flux which vibrates at a very much non utrasonic 222Hz.

According to 6Moons the AT vibrates at a much higher amplitude, but I haven’t been able to find a definitive source on frequency. If my cartridge wasn’t on the “do not vibrate” list I would try recording its output with the 637 in use.

1 Like

By the way, I still have my 637 and used it with every cartridge I owned until AT told me not to with the current one. Their suggestion was actually to use their solid cleaner instead (though the manual does allow for a wet brush, which I wouldn’t dare attempt).

I’d suggest checking with the manufacturer of one’s cartridge instead of making a blanket statement either way.

One would hope so, but frankly there is a good chance in the hifi world to get a blanket statement without reasons that may or may not make sense.

IIRC I once measured the frequency coming out of the speakers and it was like 600 Hz.

I can’t imagine any manufacturer endorsing the use of a competitors product, as its performance is out of their control, and may even have changed over time without their knowledge. The default answer is almost invariably going to be no.

1 Like

That sounds plausible. However, were you using a measuring chain that would also have been able to capture any ultrasonic content?

When I asked Linn about using it with their cartridges they were fine with it, IIRC.

1 Like

No, wouldn’t have detected US. I meant the main frequency that comes out of the speakers, and in comparison to the Flux.

1 Like

Got it.

Hi,

Manual Cleaning for a person who has limited dexterity the use of AT637 would be a much preferred option. Perhaps a good reason i will keep mine.

1 Like

Thank you. Indeed you are correct that there is a point of possible fatigue in the wires of an MC system. I forgot about that in a previous post. However, as you wrote these wires move a lot during normal record playing, for hundreds of hours. With the AT-637 there is only one base frequency, which might create more stress than a record, but on the other hand it is used in short bursts only, and for just a short time in total over the life time of a stylus. (If we use the 637 for 10 seconds for every record played, it is ~0,37%)

On the other hand, all it takes is one silly move among the ~2,000 times of manual cleaning.

After 1000hrs one channel of my MC gave up why?

1000 hrs is however the approx. expected life time of the diamond anyway

2 Likes

Hi,

You complained that the wire broke after 1000 hours and as far as I can tell you did NOT use the 637.

I was just saying that 1000 hrs is a typical expected life time, e.g. Rega says so for their cartridges and Ortofon says for their styluses approx. “1000 without sound changes, can be used up to 2000 depending on circumstance”.

Else, I am done with this topic :slight_smile:

Edit:

You need to investigate and show Engineering stress data to prove your point, i dont have that knowledge.

I don’t need to, and I have no interest in proving anything. I am just discussing. Those who claim issues have not proven anything either and the thoughts about stresses were certainly not entirely convincing either. We are all doing our best to make educated guesses.

1 Like

Hi,