Audioquest Cobalt dac vs NDS - too close for comfort

If you begin to doubt on the quality of the sound of your Nds because one person finds its similar to an IPhone/ cobalt, perhaps better listen to music than reading the forum.
The Nds/555 dr is a wonderful player, just behind the Nd555.
I have listened to the Klimax DSM, DCS Rossini, and Chord Dave. I prefer my Nds for its musicality, cohesiveness, involvement, articulation and body of instruments. The why of music.
iPhone/ cobalt is nowhere near. It’s a non sense.
Other, like Lumin or DCS, are more dynamic and detailed. But not so communicative, IMHO.
Dave is more spatial and detailed. But cold.
Other have more functionalities, but I don’t care: I don’t need Roon, Tidal, Qobuz, Airplay, Chromcast, Tidal connect. I just stream from my Melco.
Trust your ears, no other opinions.

11 Likes

Well said Rooster

3 Likes

Hi Gregg - I’ve had a Mojo here for a while (amongst other Chord DACs) and whilst undoubtedly cute and an improvement on a laptop headphone output i found it was not as good as my Sony ZX2, even when driven by a Melco N1A. The 1Z wouldn’t be troubled by it. I’ve not tried the AQ Cobalt but this looks a possible solution for my office system where i want to try and incorporate some Naim bits i’ve got sat around and use the USB output from my Nucleus.

One thing to mention is the Qutest is a great match for the early Naim kit as you can fix the output level at 1v and overcome the limited volume control travel and channel imbalance at low levels. One of these with your Nait 2 could be very nice and you’ll just need an RCA to DIN input cable.

Flashback seem to be operating ok again (Covid aside). Always been great and often quicker for me to order a cable from Dave rather than order the bits and make it myself.

James

1 Like

I tried to order a cable from Flashback a few days ago, and indeed, David is out of commission right now with a recurring spinal disc issue, and isn’t making cables for a bit.
Cheers.

Dave

1 Like

interesting…

The DF RED Dac is very good, but my Chord Mojo easily beats it (I have both).

but did you compare the same exact Tidal file on both ? Still minor differences?

I have thought about a Qutest as it appears to offer good vfm and it’s price is in line with that of my newly restored Nait 2. The problem I always have with Chord DAC’s is they are not Roon ready and require another box (streamer) to get them to work. I guess I could use an iPad as a Roon endpoint and use the Apple CCK together with a USB cable to feed the Qutest.

Have you ever had the chance to compare the 1Z to a Qutest?

As previously mentioned I had completely forgotten about my 1Z before you mentioned it and together with an iPhone or iPad it can be used as a Roon endpoint/source to feed the Nait. The cost to me is simply that of a cable - whereas the Qutest becomes a new purchase. Thus the reason I ask about the 1Z/Qutest comparison.

Best
Gregg

Well said sweetie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I recently had a demo to see how much better (if at all) a ‘proper’ streamer was over my Dragonfly Red.
The contenders were the Gold Note DS-10 & the Naim NDX2 (through Naim SN3 & PMC 25:26s).
We started with the DS-10 and very nice it sounded too!
We listened through Tidal & Qobuz to a variety of music.
A quick switch to the DF (after 20 minutes or so) was eye (and ear) opening… It was like listening through a letterbox :hushed: The sound was just much… smaller.
A bit of back-and-forth to establish that good as the DF is, it was a bit too far out of it’s depth here.
We then changed to the NDX2… I wondered why the salesman had such a wry grin on his face :smirk:
Talk about saving the best 'till last! :astonished: Just so much more of everything - detail & spaciousness just took a leap upwards. The smile on my face said it all.
I suppose it was a bit silly to expect a 200 quid DAC to match a 5 grand player, and it still amazes me how good the DF sounds given it’s modest price and dimensions, but it was certainly an instructive experience!
Oh, my NDX is arriving in the next week or so. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

There we go! That’s more like it.

If I put my toe in the streaming/computer world it will be with a Mac Mini and an Audioquest Red, keep it simple.

Let’s only hope that levels were matched :wink:

2 Likes

I’m still trying to get it working correctly. I have a mac-mini and a audioquest black dac and a mac-pro having optical out into my SN1’s dac and the latter wins all the time. I dont think it is the AQ black vs the SN1’s dac which makes the difference, but the electric coupling which takes the magic away.

2 Likes

Yes, he has severe pain issues at the moment, I have a very simple cable on order (won’t cancel it as I like to support small businesses - and the cable will wait , it is not really important in how my system will run)

Ian

Thanks, it will be going into a UnitiQute which currently acts as DAC

That cannot continue if I use an Audioquest so I may have to get a USB capable DAC probably a RME

RME is nice. I have some profi’s in my environment using them.

1 Like

Isn’t that exactly what @Petersfi did?

Roger

4 Likes

AQ state you need the USB3 Adapter for Cobalt duties.

Interested as dusted off my AQ Cobalt for use with the desktop.

Any thought which connection is better, 3.5mm to RCA, DIN ?

Yes Peakman, I agree. I responded to the post 18, where Petersi was doubting about the Naim streamers and technology evolving. But when I responded to that post I didn’t realized that Petersi was the original poster of this thread.
Apparently Petersi doesn’t hear significant difference between IPhone/ cobalt and Nds/555ps. But yes, he trusts his ears.

Correction both can be used the USB3 is preferred.

I think my nds 500 series system sounds wonderful. I’m fortunate to be able to listen to music seriously without distraction, usually 3 hours per day. I don’t multitask, or even read with background music. So when I discover that an iPhone with a $350 dac and a $35 white plastic Apple cord sounds almost, but not quite as good as my nds/555, it raises questions I consider relevant. When my dealer set up the system, he told me it’s a “dream set up” and the “last system I’d ever buy”. He might be right.
Best,
Peter

3 Likes