Audirvana Studio Grand Premiere

I went back to 3.5 yesterday and got loads of tracks skipping part way through, had not had that for quite some time, I hope the new version hasn’t upset the 3.5 installation, and the potential that it has inserted metadata tags without asking permission to do so is concerning. Someone commented that they had several TB of data which is now subject to an automatic backup cycle as tags had been added and modified the files, what a nuisance.

Foobar2000 is a great free audiophile player yes, i was using it close to 20 years ago already! It’s not a streaming player like Roon or Volumio by default though with an app or webinterface. It’s a standalone program that runs on a normal computer, similar to how iTunes runs for instance.

It’s possible that with some plugins a lot can be extended though, i haven’t used it in a few years!

1 Like

I have 3.5 on an older Mac mini that I don’t apply updates to and it works fine. However it still has to connect to the audirvana server to continue working and I have still not seen any confirmation that it will continue to do so. For the subscription model to work they will need people to sign up to it and I fear for 3.5 going forwards. I don’t use audirvana much now, my innuos wipes the floor with it, but like others at one point I’d built my system around it so I can see why there is concern

I should have added that a control app is a mandatory must. I have zero interest in actually using a computer to play audio. In fact, the last time I even plugged a keyboard into my Audirvana box and looked at the screen was to fix that broken install due to Windows update issue.

My Luxman DAC has free Windows and Mac player software too but no app = useless (to me), The living room is a computer-free zone essentially.

FWIW, I spent an hour knocking up something really basic.

1. Set the default audio device to the USB ASIO driver.
  2. Install a web server
  3. Make a page that navigates using the Artists and album tags
  4. When I hit play link, put everything in a playlist and call a Power Shell command line to play the WAV files natively in the right order

Hey presto, it worked. It was damn ugly; text links only; but it worked from my phone! Didn’t get as far as stopping or even forward and back. But as a proof of concept for local streaming, it works. It uses the MediaPlayer libs to unpack PCM and do IO to the driver and I did [not] compare quality.

1 Like

Both Rune and Volumio, previously mentioned by @litemotiv, have mobile apps for control. Not sure about Moode.

Well, I’m less than impressed.

No wonder my system has been beach balling and everything has been sluggish, I can now see that Audirvana Studio has indeed been modifying files on the NAS over wi-fi. It never asked if I wanted to do this and has probably crippled my network accessing, and re-saving large files over wi-fi. What a mess it’ll be trying to work out what’s been modified in 3 different LAN locations.

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 19.39.31

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 19.41.40

Audirvana Studio crashed several times, so what’s the chances some of these files will be corrupted during writes - I couldn’t work out why it was taking so long to update the library, now I know - I’d assumed it was a bug in the UI.

1 Like

Uninstalled this now what a load of rubbish it is. Didnt like 3.5 liked this even less and no idea what it was doing to make it sound so thin and unatural. Definitely not worth paying for.

I hope it’s not connected but Roon was showing the wrong album artwork for an album earlier - Stiff Little Fingers album cover (which I have) for a completely different pop album.

Sounds like a suspect device.

.sjb

3 Likes

That’s a bit of inflammable material John.

3 Likes

Hard to tell, either Roon database is iffy or Audirvana Pro has mucked around with more than MusicBrainz tags.

Haha - just got it!

Just found it again, not pop (depends on your opinion I suppose). From my local library Roon is showing:

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 23.08.41

Right great, just tried playing and I’m getting buzzing/white noise.

How the heck to I find the path of a file in Roon these days?

3 dots on RHS, view file info

.sjb

1 Like

Thanks, I tried that and don’t get the options, odd.

Right, did get the file info in track view.

Completely corrupted but not modified since 2019. Gets weirder.

Have you tried the fundamental if all else fails of rebooting the machine Roon is on and restarting Roon?

1 Like

Good suggestion - rebooted a few hours ago due to lots of odd behaviour, but eventually located the culprit file and it sounds bad played outside of Roon too. Don’t really think it was Audirvana given the file modification timestamp but can’t be sure.

I’ve been one of the people beta testing BEAR NAS, which is free enterprise NAS software. It has features that are designed to cope with this Audirvana like nonsense to facilitate long term archive of precious files. It would have detected either unauthorised writes or even bit rot (physical corruption not associated with a write op).

It was very slick in beta. If it hits such a file, you get a report and it can even search your backups that you plug in and repair a file if it finds one with the expected checksum of the file that was changed. So for Audirvana touching files, it would have detected them as one of the two and given you the option to repair them.

The downside is you do need to have a spare computer with removeable drive bays to use as a NAS. It’s bundled with a dedicated OS. Although it’s aimed at the datacentre user, it’s fairly easy to set up. But Asset is also an available module.

Apparently it is being made available non commercially at the end of the month. Obviously I’m biased because I was an invited beta tester.

2 Likes

May be time to reappraise.

Remote app now available and old trials extended until late July.

I’d like to support this software going forwards, current 1.5+ release I’ve just downloaded sounds good and seems more responsive and stable.

I gave up on AS a week into my 30-day trial, but tried it again today.

It does sound good, a tad better than 3.5 on my system. But the volume slider is all over the place: a single click just sent it from 30% to 70% (Mac OS X).

And Qobuz hi-res tracks mostly play as white noise unless I enable oversampling.

Still unstable / unusable for me.