Audirvana Studio Grand Premiere

Good suggestion - rebooted a few hours ago due to lots of odd behaviour, but eventually located the culprit file and it sounds bad played outside of Roon too. Don’t really think it was Audirvana given the file modification timestamp but can’t be sure.

I’ve been one of the people beta testing BEAR NAS, which is free enterprise NAS software. It has features that are designed to cope with this Audirvana like nonsense to facilitate long term archive of precious files. It would have detected either unauthorised writes or even bit rot (physical corruption not associated with a write op).

It was very slick in beta. If it hits such a file, you get a report and it can even search your backups that you plug in and repair a file if it finds one with the expected checksum of the file that was changed. So for Audirvana touching files, it would have detected them as one of the two and given you the option to repair them.

The downside is you do need to have a spare computer with removeable drive bays to use as a NAS. It’s bundled with a dedicated OS. Although it’s aimed at the datacentre user, it’s fairly easy to set up. But Asset is also an available module.

Apparently it is being made available non commercially at the end of the month. Obviously I’m biased because I was an invited beta tester.

2 Likes

May be time to reappraise.

Remote app now available and old trials extended until late July.

I’d like to support this software going forwards, current 1.5+ release I’ve just downloaded sounds good and seems more responsive and stable.

I gave up on AS a week into my 30-day trial, but tried it again today.

It does sound good, a tad better than 3.5 on my system. But the volume slider is all over the place: a single click just sent it from 30% to 70% (Mac OS X).

And Qobuz hi-res tracks mostly play as white noise unless I enable oversampling.

Still unstable / unusable for me.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.