Aurilac Vega G2.1 vs 272/555DR using NAP250DR as power amp

Uniti Atom HE + SCM40As ?

That has already happenedā€¦ā€¦ā€¦the adventure is only just beginning. :blush:

Iā€™m pretty much in the same boat listlessly waiting for the next 272 hopefully to be powered by my 555 to drive into ATC SCM40a and fronted by a Melco N1ZH.
It still produces a great sound, but things digital obviously move on even if the analogue side has less progression. Iā€™ve been looking at the Auralic G2.1, but not got around to a listen. did consider a Atom HE which could be used in the office later, actually bought a RME ADI-2 FS which is very good for the money and is great with headphones/IEM and a pair of Genelecs as my PC monitors. Not actually tried it as a 272 replacement due to cabling (DIn vs XLR/RCA) to the speakers.

May is my favourite month for many reasons, hope fruits are starting to bud in Salisbury :thinking:

2 Likes

NoNaim it is a pity you never got to hear the full Auralic stack. I am hearing great things from people with ears I respect. Interested in hearing where you landed.

The only time I got to hear the Auralic full stack was at one of the Acoustica hi-fi shows, driving ATC speakers. Obviously, not the ideal conditions to assess a product. However, due to the 272 becoming to start long in the tooth with certain streaming capabilities and Naim playing cat and mouse, concerning the release of a updated 272, already previously owned ATC SCM40 Mk2 passives. I decided to bite the bullet, so to speak, and sell all my Naim and PMC system. So I ended up with the Vega G2.1 and ATC SCM40A active speakers. I bought a Melco D100, ripped all my CDā€™s to my Roon Nucleus( fitted a SSD ), this replaced my Naim Uniti Core.
As previously stated, the Vega and ATCā€™s are a very, very good match. The Nucleus was fine as a source for streaming i.e. Quboz or radio. However, for playing backed ripped CDā€™s, not as good as the Core. Neither Roon or Auralic, show CD errors, unlike Naim upon rip completion, as far as I saw. As I only had the Vega, I could not use the full potential of the Lightning DS. What I did see, was the Lightning DS, although very good, just not quite as slick as the IOS Naim app. Yes, you can read that again, someone saying that actually the Naim app is pretty good. :ok_hand:
So, the main reason, why I had to part with the Vega, is in two parts. Firstly, I have no axe to grind against how the Vega sounds. In fact, pound per pound, it is a pretty outstanding product. It is probably superior, in most respects, to all aspects against certain Naim products i.e. 272. Yet, sometimes, even when something is better, it is not always the best. That last sentence, is really going to confuse anyone on here, whose first language is not English. Understanding that, is something a demonstration or short loan period from a dealer will not give you. It needs time to breathe and digest, something that is not tangible in the short term. You have to be familiar with your room and previous system. In short, you need to live with it. In saying all that, I could have lived with the Vega and probably bought the Aries,Sirius and Leo, if I had never heard the Naim sound. I could probably stretch that to keeping the Auralic, if not for point two. I bet you had forgotten about that now - yawn.
The second reasonā€¦ā€¦I would very much like to say, but hopefully you will be able to deduce the reason. As a famous fictional detective once said ā€œElementaryā€ :blush:

2 Likes

No sleep til Hammersmith, or maybe Munichā€¦ā€¦.

2 Likes

I think Naim will remain tight lipped for as long as possible about the 272 successor. If the word gets out, I will hurt sales of the existing streamers & pre amps. Probably substantially too.

1 Like

Found this below on the Focal DE site:

LISTENING EXPERIENCES:

AND:

Also discover two new extraordinary solutions!

I find the last sentence, very intriguing :blush:

1 Like

Okay, letā€™s call it. A new Naim streamer pre-amp, same size and styling as a Nova and a matching set of new Focal active speakers. A dead cert I reckon.

1 Like

I will guess a new streamer pre-amp and separate power supply, nova/272 size, in same styling as Solstice boxes :blush:

2 Likes

https://www.focal.com/de/hifi-lautsprecher/focal-und-naim-auf-der-high-end-muenchen-2022

Ach so! Das ist gut mein herr.

1 Like

I donā€™t fully understand all that you write. To not beat about the bush, from my perspective the Auralic in my Naim system has all the desirable characteristics that i expect from music reproduction. Yes it is excellent and i really like it. It stands up very well to the other excellent and well set up sources that i have. Ok i admit i have not listened to any naim streamers, but i donā€™t have the drive or intention to either, especially if it sounds ā€˜brokenā€™ without a 555PS. Also it does not require adding boxes weighing 10ā€™s of kg. Quite frankly i donā€™t really care what naim has on offer to replace the 272. Also the control software aspects are a professional job well done. On top of that it plays very consistently without seemingly up and downs.
So really no idea what you are talking about when you say

2 Likes

The solution to this part is not to take every forum hyperbole too seriously :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And not to forget there are other hifi suppliers.

Ooh, there Iā€™ve said it.

1 Like

I donā€™t. Just underlining the fact really if you know what i mean

1 Like

OMG :scream: the cat is really out of the bag then

Exciting! (Not) :partying_face:

If the ups are Really up, then it may be worth a few downs in my book.

@JimDog. Perhaps i should have said more precisely ā€œThe Auralic equipment performance is very good as expected, without the perceived ups and downs that are frequently associated with Naim electronics by Naim ownersā€. I talk here about sensitivity to RFI mainly, which ā€œin my bookā€ is poor attention to certain details (i.e. system disturbances) in the design.
That is really up to you if you are happy with something that you have paid alot of money for, but i expect a little more than that.

1 Like

You make a strong judgement of the design of Naim streamers, although you have never listened to one.

Naim could easily design a bog standard streamer that is relatively immune to the electrical environment of the room and house itā€™s in, but the things theyā€™d have to do to achieve that would kill off the things that Naim owners love about Naim digital sources.

When I had an Auralic Aries streamer in my system for about 3 weeks it was consistent but it sounded bland and sterile to me.

I ended up watching YouTube music videos instead.

2 Likes