Aurilac Vega G2.1 vs 272/555DR using NAP250DR as power amp

I’m very late into this conversation but I have the Auralic Vega G2 (not the 2.1) and the NAP250DR and I’m very happy with it!

It’s a 2 box solution that does everything I need. Its certainly the most resolving DAC I’ve ever heard.

I’ve heard the G2 in comparison to NDX2 as well as PS Audio Directstream DAC. All excellent components with different strengths and I could have been happy with any of them.

Someone once described the PS Audio DSD sonically as like getting a cuddle from your mum. Well I’d say sonically the Vega G2 is like getting a cuddle from a professional athlete (insert your gender of choice) not as warm, but very exciting!

At any rate I can say the Vega G2 (and the 2.1 as I believe its mostly identical save for an improved chassis I believe) and the NAP250DR is a great 2 box solution - streaming, DAC, analogue input (I run my turntable phono stage into it) and enough power to drive most speakers I could ever afford.

7 Likes

@HallowedBeThyNAIM Utterly agree. It’s a great 2 box system with the ability to upgrade with the Aries should you want to. I know of someone who uses the Vega with its 3 upgrade boxes with his Statement, having sold his ND555

2 Likes

Have you tried the Vega with an Aries at all?

Can not get the idea behind this option. Vega does have everything Aries does + DAC and preamp.

According to Auralic it does not have the same streamer. Aries has a different streamer and its own isolation. Aries streamer plus Vega DAC is their ‘ultimate’ streamer plus DAC system.

Precisely my own view and experience. I never rush to change a thing now, wait a few days and see if things return to normal. They usually do.

1 Like

The ‘ultimate’ Auralic system is a four-box stack which includes an upsampler and clock. At current prices, that will set you back just north of £27k, not including the recommended £1k+ lightning link cable.

Roger

Indeed it is if you add the upsampler and additional clock.

I was wondering if anyone had tried the Vega G2.1 with the addition of an Aries G1 or G.2.1.

There are a few comparisons in reviews and some experiences related on the Auralic forum. Not sure if I’m allowed to post links, but they’re not difficult to find with a little searching. I’ve heard Vega alone and with Aries but not done a direct comparison.

Incidentally, adding an Aries G1 is a different kettle of fish to a G2(.1) at least if connect by a Lightning Link cable, as the latter shifts some of the Vega’s processing to the Aries. The combo effectively acts as a single unit according to the company’s boss and designer.

Roger

Thanks for that Roger. Yes, I am on the Auralic forum. I was wondering of Naim users experiences.
I have the G1 Aries and Vega G1 and they work well together. I have a Vega G2.1 on order and when that arrives I shall evaluate whether the Aries G1 is still needed or whether I need to go to the Aries G2.1.

1 Like

Hi mate no I haven’t. I’m surprise my local Auralic dealer hasnt tried to upsell me. I have heard the Aries is a superior streamer to the inbuilt streamer in the Vega but I dont know how that combo sounds vs the Vega G2 on its own. Im sure its better, but I suspect a severe case of diminishing returns applies. I’d love to get the chance to listen one day and find out for myself. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.