Australia bans artificial stone

In many cases with proper templating there is no need for any cutting, drilling or polishing of the worktops when fitted, but of course problems/omissions do sometimes arise. What is needed is enforcement in all workplaces, and some stiff penalties for failure would soon bring the majority into line, rather than banning the use of materials such as granite and artificial stone worktops, which make extremely good worksurfaces.

Unfortunately not true no matter how good the template is there’s always minor adjustments needed on site. There’s no safe way to cut this stuff and it should have been outlawed years ago. Last time we had a kitchen done the guys cut it on the footpath and were covered in white dust. I often think about what would have happened to them. How many workers and their families need to pay the ultimate price.

Said it before I’m glad it’s outlawed why should the working folk suffer just for us to have a trendy kitchen.

I was a bit perplexed with this initially, as presumably it can be wet-cut to avoid dust when manufactured. Presumably the concern isn’t with manufacturing, but on-site cutting to make adjustments. Our main island came complete and was just put on the unit, maybe the tap hole was drilled - I don’t remember. The second counter top needed an edge cut to make it fit against a non-straight edge.

I’ve even got an off-cut, that I wet-cut to size that sits under my headphone amp……

Generally, anything that can’t be wet cut should be done with proper inhalation protection. Off course, many are pretty blasé about such things.

3 Likes

In isolation, it seems strange for this product to be highlighted when there are many other building products which have ‘issues’, be these plasterboard, foam-board insulation (noting it’s being constantly cut to fit), MDF etc,.

FYI, in the UK it’s been the case for some time that it often costs more to dispose of plasterboard (through authorised waste handlers) than it costs to buy it.

2 Likes

You can’t cut MDF here on large sites without providing a suitable area that ventilated and inclosed and you must have appropriate PPE.

You know it’s easy for those that aren’t exposed to it complain about not getting it but surely theirs got to be safer options. How life’s were lost through the use of asbestos before someone woke up.

Problem is, where and how do you stop(?) e.g. back in the 70s there was the boom in glass fibre insulation etc, which is very nasty. To my knowledge, many building projects come with issues, many unseen for years (as you highlight).

Well I guess we stop when we stop killing workers.

Certainly not always in my experience. I’ve had two kitchens fitted with granite and neither needed work onsite, all holes etc cut at factory. (There’s no reason why man made stone any different). However, my sister in law had man made stone worktops done on a kitchen I fitted for her a few months ago, and for some reason they had left tap hole to be drilled on site and a splashback above the hob was also drilled onsite for the extractor hood fixing holes. I was there for the fitting - they did the drilling outside using water lubricant and wiped up the paste.

1 Like

I suspect that with things like tap holes, they may not pre-drill as the clearance to the tile-line behind may not be known – some like their 'surfaces sunk in to the plaster line a tad, as this can take-out lumps and bumps in the wall? Also, if you pre-drill and someone has measured incorrectly/the plumbing is awkward, where does the risk and responsibility sit?

I do understand what you’re saying and if cut properly it should be ok but the problem is people will always cut corners and not take the preoccupations. I’m not about the UK or anywhere else but we’ve known for a few years just our dangerous this stuff is and people have still been cutting dry and without PPE.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.