Av recievers

Recently i started put together a basit home theater setup in my bedroom:)

Denon x4500 and newly purchased focal chora 826d front and center and focal sibs for rear 4

I use a zappiti neo and Sony 4k ux700 as a source.

I also have ps5 and xbox x with 2 hdmi 2.1 requirement for 120hz

Now I am thinking to upgrade the reciever….

I got jbl and arcam on my list, denon marantz ones have only 1 hdmi 2.1 port

Any experinced home theather fans can offer advice

Hello; I run an Arcam AVR550 with good results for the surround sound (films etc). The left and right speakers are driven by my NAIM 252/300DR to good effect but everything else is sourced from the ARCAM. That way I have great two channel stereo when I want music, and very good ATMOS surround sound with video. And I share the main left and right speakers between the two uses. All works well.

You cannot get the ARCAM AVR 550/850 any more but the successor boxes are likely very good too.

1 Like

Is there some background to the HDMI2.1 requirement? Do you have a lot of 8K sources?

Generally speaking the Denon receivers are superb but obviously you can go higher end. The Arcam would be a bridge to that higher end place, but beyond that, I think you are looking at seperate AV pre/power type of arrangement.

I have an older AVR-X4000 and it has only one 4K compatible HDMI input and to be honest, that was all I ever needed. I’m not sure about the 4500, but the current 4700, all HDMI inputs support 4K and 1 supports 8K.

Addendum
One thing you’ll find is that with AV receivers, the input types and the processing models will change very often and obsolete an otherwise very good amplifier. For this reason, a pre/power combo might be preferable anyway. I’ve had a few AV receivers that I felt a bit bitter about replacing because changes in input or surround codecs forced me.

Xbox x and PS5 are both 4k 120hz that require 2.1

No 8k at all

Okay gotcha. 120Hz is pushing the data rate into 2.1 realm.

Does the Sony TV have enough 2.1 input for them? If so, you can connect them to the TV direct and the TV will pass the audio stream back the other way to the Denon. If not, then you will need to hunt for another amp for sure… or reduce the frame rate to something more realistic like 60fps.

1 Like

Just 2 2.1 in tv, one of them is earc which is neeed for streeming

I bought a 2.1 switch, so it will solve the problem

Still if i upgrage My denon x4500 i want something with 2.1 capabilities

I totally understand that. Going a bit higher will tend to still land you in integrated receiver territory. Spending a lot more on pre/power might be more than you plan on. If you are like me, you appreciate the Denon as a really great amp that time has simply robbed of some current functionality.

With any luck your switch box gets you over the hump as I am certain that the next iteration of the 4000 series will probably add more 2.1 input. The higher end Denon even has an optional add in board to make all input HDMI2.1. Costs a lot but sends the message that it will trickle down sooner or later.

If you want an upgrade then of course why wait, but for functionality increases, I’d be inclined to just wait it out for the trickle down.

1 Like

I have JBL SDP-55 and SDR-35 systems, but they only have hdmi 2.0 - not a problem for me.
They sound terrific.
The latest models, SDP-58 and SDR-38 have hdmi 2.1 capability.
They are not cheap though…

1 Like

If you can stretch to a Dirac enabled receiver and can get the system professionally set-up, you won’t regret it. I upgraded from an Arcam AVR750 to a JBL Synthesis SDR35 nearly a year ago and the step up in quality was very impressive. It wasn’t about more ‘crash, bang, wallop’. Instead the extra detail, clarity of the dialogue, and 3-dimensional sound stage was hugely better.

I have the Denon AVC-X8500H and is a great home cinema amp, also have the PS5 and there is no game that supports 8K, even if it supported the PS5 can’t run games at that resolution, even to run games on 4K you will have to choose most of the times 30 frames with better visuals or 60 frames with lower quality, so 8K is out of the question for PS5 in gaming.

The Denon have only one 8K but all other 4K supports variable frame rate and 120hz, so you can’t go wrong with the Denon or Marantz receivers, I use mine on a 13.1 config on my living room and it is an amazing experience.

Also PS5 does not support atmos in gaming you will have to upmix to get the upper channels running with ps5.

There have been other threads on this subject, so a search my be worthwhile. This is one I recall, which though wider than just receivers does include them (including my own contribution).

I do the same with AVR850 and Naim 552/300DR. Best of both worlds for me!

How do you set this up? If the Arcam doesn’t drive the front two speakers?

The arcam has a set of outputs to speakers but also a set of preamp outputs to either active speakers or a second amp. So for the left and right speakers you use the preamp outputs (rca) via a naim rca to din cable to the naim preamp. Many of the naim preamps have an AV bypass option so the arcam will control volume for the naim (and all the other channels).

Blake has saved me from telling the answer!

I wrote the FAQ on integrating Stereo and AV systems on the old Forums. Alas, it is no longer available and would need a little updating if I ever get round to updating it.

I attach this below, if anyone’s interested. When I wrote it I was using DVD5, Naim AV2, Naim 282/250.

Naim Forums AV integration FAQ

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic.php?oid=2833539985312821&coid=159503632588890

HOW TO INTEGRATE A STEREO AMPLIFIER INTO AN AV SYSTEM
Integration of Naim pre/power or integrated Stereo amplifiers with a Naim AV2 based system is simple. Just download and follow the Naim AV2 manual from the Naim main website. It’s in the manuals section under OLD PRODUCTS. Just remember that the DIN/DIN lead you use to connect the AV2 to the Naim stereo amp is a “reversed” lead – usually supplied with the AV2.

All of this sequence works equally well with a non-Naim Stereo amp - just substitute an appropriate lead to connect the AV amp and Stereo amp. Hopefully your chosen Stereo amplifier will have a Unity Gain input, enabling you to forget the bit about always setting the Stereo amp to the same volume level when using AV sources.
Integrating a Naim amplifier (pre/power or integrated) into a non-Naim AV system with Phono connections is easiest if your Naim amp has a Unity Gain input (usually called AV). If so, just connect the front L/R preamplifier out channels
If your Naim lacks a Unity Gain input, don’t panic – just connect to any of the line inputs on the Naim, but you will have to do is remember to always set it to the SAME volume setting when using it for multichannel sources with your AV processor. I suggest 12 o’clock on the Naim’s volume control as this is easy to remember (just don’t forget to turn it down when using the Naim unit for stereo sources, or your hearing may get a rude shock!).

What you do is use the Naim’s volume control for sources connected directly to the Naim (e.g. CD player, Tuner, turntable, etc), and use the AV processor’s volume control for your multichannel video sources.

Set up your Naim stereo amp with your stereo sources plugged into it as usual. The front speakers should be connected to the Naim’s speaker outlets (If you follow this guide they will work for stereo and AV sources).

Connect your video sources (DVD or bluray player, XBox360, PS3, etc) to your AV amplifier inputs

Connect the front L/R preamplifier output sockets of the AV amplifier to one of the DIN line inputs on the Naim stereo. You will need a 2 phono to DIN cable for this purpose. Make sure you get a cable that is wired correctly. Companies such as Fastback cables and Chord happily will supply you with the correct cable, but talk to them first and be SPECIFIC about what you want : phono at source output (AV processor end, and DIN at the Naim (input) end. I would suggest that if you are in any doubt get a 4 phono to DIN cable and use the appropriate 2 phonos (those you would use for playback of a cassette deck). Luckily enough the standard 2 Phono to DIN lead is usually the correct one!

Connect the other speaker outputs of the AV amplifier to the appropriate speakers (Centre, surround, rear, subwoofer)

If using a powered Sub (which is the most likely type), connect it using a single phono to phono lead to the AV amplifier. (Yes, it only uses a single channel and does not need 2 phono to 2 phono). Various companies sell appropriate 75 Ohm leads.

Beg, borrow or steal a sound level meter. If you don’t have a sound level, you’ll have to try it by ear, but this is not very satisfactory. Sound level meters are fairly cheap items. I use a Radioshack one.

Put your listening chair in its desired position.

Set your Naim to its chosen AV input (as above) and set its volume control to your chosen setting (e.g. 12 o’clock). Switch on the Naim equipment, subwoofer and the AV amplifier.

Sit down in your listening chair (with the Sound Level Meter if you have one) and the remote control for your AV amplifier.

Go through the speaker setup routine as in your AV amplifier’s manual. Depending on the AV amplifier you have, various options will be available. It helps if you have an assistant armed with a tape measure!

First you will usually have to tell the AV amplifier what speakers you have connected. It will usually give options such as LARGE, SMALL or NONE. If no centre speaker or subwoofer connected, remember to set these to NONE.

Next it may ask you about DISTANCE - this is why you need an assistant with a tape measure, so that you can set appropriate distances.

Then you set the speaker output levels. Set your Sound Level Meter to an appropriate range (or just do it by ear). Switch on the SPEAKER TEST mode on the AV amplifier and crank up the volume on the AV amplifier to e.g. 80dB. Then use the speaker level adjustments on the AV amplifier so that they all give the same output level. When finished, SAVE your settings (if your AV amplifier needs that step) , switch your AV amplifer Speaker setup routine off. Insert a DVD (or bluray disc) in your player, and enjoy the results of your labours.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.